Lumia 830 disapointment, and why it will fail

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShridharM

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Did you not read my post at the first place ? I compared 830 with Moto G and not G2
1) "False" -- What false ? Is it not bigger or is it not better than Moto G?
2) "False" -- Again..what False ? forget Moto G, even G2 can add upto 32 GB only compared to 128GB of 830 !!
3) Agreed -- Design is certainly subjective but not build quality. 830 is more solidly built.
4) Agreed -- Subjective.
5) You've already agreed on this. Even Moto G2's camera is no match for 830's
6) Agreed -- Not a lot of people know about Glance. But when you are out, comparing 830 (or should I say any Windows Phone) with anything else, you definitely know about it. Also, I don't think android apps (if any) would be able to do what Nokia's Glance (improved) does.
7) Dolby Digital Sound -- It's not about whether I can/can't live without it but rather it's a feature that both G and G2 don't have. And let me remind you that this is actually a cool feature and it requires Licensing.
8) Again -- We both agree on this one !!

Now coming to Moto G2, tell me one feature that outperforms the 830 ! Rather, 830 beats G2 in multiple aspects.
Also, regarding your point of Price of Moto G2, as far as I know, G2 only adds a larger screen, expandable storage and a little more MP camera (8 MP vs 5 MP). In fact, it has lesser number of sensors than Moto G -- Magnetometer and Ambient Light Sensor. Do you call it a successor/ upgrade to Moto G ? Without any significant improvement, you are bound to keep the price roughly the same !!

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
you do realize ios,BB10,WP handle hardware differently than android
i would have loved a SD800/801 instead of SD400 on the 830 as well but unlike android even the older dual core lumias with 512mb ram ,the iphone with dual core and 1gb ram can beat even most 4-8core android phones because of optimisation
the older lumias also had the same cpu-Snapdragon S4 but i didnt see the 820,720 ,920 fail

We aren't comparing optimization with Android, Snapdragon 400 ensures a smooth experience on pretty much every OS(Android included).

But it's a massive step down from Snapdeagon 800 and it won't support all the extended effects in games, nor all the extra features like passive voice detection.

The 830 is being compared with devices with a similar price, the 830 was designed to be a flagship killer(or atleast a flagship experience) and the Android alternatives are much better than it(this is what people are trying to say).

The 920 and 820 had powerful Snapdragon S4 professors, in fact the GPU being used in those devices will still probably beat Adreno 305 in graphical performance.

830 is a disappointment because it didn't meet people's expectations, but it's not a bad phone by any means.

But if you want to compare optimization of different OSes, make a separate thread for it, this isn't the place to compare OSes.

Richard Toft

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Crikey! The was a lot of chatter regarding Cpu earlier has anyone checked out what this processor can do. Well peeps I have and I can't wait to give this device a go. Its all good in my opinion though I think wireless charging should be standard on this phone. Well done Microsoft & Nokia.

Shobin Drogan

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't be as mad if there is a good amount of phones to choose from, but this being windows phone, this whole year Nokia released about 3 phones, excluding the dual sim variants. I really hope HTC can keep the Windows phone OS alive, i wouldn't mind at all a HTC desire 820 WP variant with a proper new SoC 615.
As of now, I think i'll get a 1520 just before christmas, i have to wait for the price to drop and its too big, but i can't live without glance.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Using the term "fail" is subjective. What constitutes a failure? We could say that if a single 830 model sells that it wasn't a failure. Or we could say that it needs to turn a profit in order to not be classified as a failure. However, WP as a whole would be called a failure using that criterion, as well as a lot of other products.

How many 830s is Microsoft expecting to sell? Maybe that's the best gauge of failure we can use!

Rajat Lath

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
Do Microsoft/Nokia even know about incremental increase in specifications from low to high end?

What if I'm interested in selfies as well as photography? 830 has better rear camera. 730 has better front camera. Do they expect me to buy both? I mean what's with niche phones? Why cant they release an all around phone for every price point. Glance in one, no glance in other. Equalizer in one, missing in others. Missing sensors. Missing SD card slots. Rich audio recording in some, missing in others. Dolby licensing in some, missing in others.Then using same chipset in every price point with same clock speed. I mean what are they even thinking?

Personally, if I want a phone both for selfies and good photography than I'll opt for 730 over 830. Why? Because 6.7mp vs 10mp isn't much of a difference but 730 has f/1.9 which has an edge. Both have Zeiss lens. Only advantage of 830 is OIS plus a couple of more pixels. But again it has 1mp front camera. Same chipset and cost a fortune more. Figuratively speaking.
830's biggest opponents aren't nexus5 or MotoG. It is 730. They failed the emphasis on photography when they put 1mp front camera on a phone with a relatively great rear camera.

pal, Pureview tech: makes the simple camera far better.... yup i agree with you that they could have installed a better secondry cam

Rajat Lath

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
Lumia 830: if we talk about the price tag yes it could have been priced a little less like nearly like 275-290euroes (22k INR) but i guess the quality of material, design, some innovations like pureview or qi charging are somethings which might be reason of high price. i dont know wether most people bothers about how the phone looks but if we take a look at android phones with same specs like L830 or L730-735 they dont look that good and their build quality is also average (moto, some samsung s#it or local mobile companies like micromax, xolo). If we want a phone wid good specs, look, build quality then yes we will have to pay more and if we look at history of Nokia (now Microsoft Mobiles Oy :p) they never compromised wid their standards of quality and designs.
i dono about others but i will always opt for BEST IN ALL CLASS. (in my budget :p)

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Moto-X specs include: 5.2" AMOLED, 1080p, 13MP rear camera (new "ring" flash -for whatever that's worth), 2300mAh, SD 801 SoC. $499 off contract.

Now, If I'm thinking in practical terms, how much lower on price does the L830 need to be in order to be a compelling offering? I ask, because a direct conversion of the 330 Euro price just puts it at the ridiculous number of ~$425US.

Roderick Aspiras

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I HATE THIS THREAD. Why all of a sudden the negativity? This is obviously a mid-range phone but NO everyone wants a cheap phone with high-end specs. I mean people wake up some of you are obviously dreaming.

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I HATE THIS THREAD. Why all of a sudden the negativity? This is obviously a mid-range phone but NO everyone wants a cheap phone with high-end specs. I mean people wake up some of you are obviously dreaming.

Let's agree that it's a mid-range phone then, and I'll argue from the other direction. The new Moto G, is going to be priced at 190 Euros. with a 5", 720p IPS screen, SD400 and adreno 305, 8MP camera, ~2000 mAh battery. How much MORE can the L830 be priced at and still be competitive?

Last edited:

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Did you not read my post at the first place ? I compared 830 with Moto G and not G2
1) "False" -- What false ? Is it not bigger or is it not better than Moto G?
2) "False" -- Again..what False ? forget Moto G, even G2 can add upto 32 GB only compared to 128GB of 830 !!
3) Agreed -- Design is certainly subjective but not build quality. 830 is more solidly built.
4) Agreed -- Subjective.
5) You've already agreed on this. Even Moto G2's camera is no match for 830's
6) Agreed -- Not a lot of people know about Glance. But when you are out, comparing 830 (or should I say any Windows Phone) with anything else, you definitely know about it. Also, I don't think android apps (if any) would be able to do what Nokia's Glance (improved) does.
7) Dolby Digital Sound -- It's not about whether I can/can't live without it but rather it's a feature that both G and G2 don't have. And let me remind you that this is actually a cool feature and it requires Licensing.
8) Again -- We both agree on this one !!

Now coming to Moto G2, tell me one feature that outperforms the 830 ! Rather, 830 beats G2 in multiple aspects.
Also, regarding your point of Price of Moto G2, as far as I know, G2 only adds a larger screen, expandable storage and a little more MP camera (8 MP vs 5 MP). In fact, it has lesser number of sensors than Moto G -- Magnetometer and Ambient Light Sensor. Do you call it a successor/ upgrade to Moto G ? Without any significant improvement, you are bound to keep the price roughly the same !!

Why are you comparing Moto G2 to this? The Moto G2 is a direct competitor of the Lumia 630, not Lumia 830.

If you want to compare Lumia 830 with Android alternatives, compare it with Nexus 5 and OnePlusOne because it is priced similarly.

Lumia 830: if we talk about the price tag yes it could have been priced a little less like nearly like 275-290euroes (22k INR) but i guess the quality of material, design, some innovations like pureview or qi charging are somethings which might be reason of high price. i dont know wether most people bothers about how the phone looks but if we take a look at android phones with same specs like L830 or L730-735 they dont look that good and their build quality is also average (moto, some samsung s#it or local mobile companies like micromax, xolo). If we want a phone wid good specs, look, build quality then yes we will have to pay more and if we look at history of Nokia (now Microsoft Mobiles Oy :p) they never compromised wid their standards of quality and designs.
i dono about others but i will always opt for BEST IN ALL CLASS. (in my budget :p)

The build quality alone does not justify the price.

exleper

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Maybe I missed something but I still havent heard anything about which US carriers will have which phone, on what date, and at what cost. Important things that are announced at every Apple reveal. Get with the program! Its like an intern is running the show.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I missed something but I still havent heard anything about which US carriers will have which phone, on what date, and at what cost. Important things that are announced at every Apple reveal. Get with the program! Its like an intern is running the show.

It's been stated all over the place. None of the announced devices are intended for the U.S. market. Adapted versions of these devices may come to the U.S. in the future, but for now this was a "global launch" (a.k.a. everywhere except the U.S.)

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
It's been stated all over the place. None of the announced devices are intended for the U.S. market. Adapted versions of these devices may come to the U.S. in the future, but for now this was a "global launch" a.k.a. as everywhere except the U.S.

And really, this is probably good news for the US market. Considering that two of the three major carriers don't have access to the Icon, an enhanced L830 would make for a compelling alternative if MS has the stones to do it.

Ilasor

May 7, 2013
Visit site
The new Moto G, is going to be priced at 190 Euros. with a 5", 720p IPS screen, SD400 and adreno 305, 8MP camera, ~2000 mAh battery. How much MORE can the L830 be priced at and still be competitive?
The 830 is better overall: 16gb storage, LTE, wireless charging, glance, hardware navigation/camera button, better camera, built quality/design... I think 250-300€ would be competitive, 330€ is a little bit over the top. The 720 on the other hand is prieced very well. Seems to be quiet equal in terms of specs as well as pricing to the new moto g.

Why are you comparing Moto G2 to this? The Moto G2 is a direct competitor of the Lumia 630, not Lumia 830.

No, the moto g2 is not a direct 630 competitor. The Lumia 630 is well below the moto G2 and almost half the price! Lumia 630 is 109€, Moto G2 199€.

If you want to compare Lumia 830 with Android alternatives, compare it with Nexus 5 and OnePlusOne because it is priced similarly.

The nexus 5 is sold as a platform reference with extra low margins through play store while the OnePlusOne requires an invite to buy over their website and is not available for the growd. Not a fair comparison.

ams963

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
L730 is the only one left to carry on the flag of Lumia through this year after L830 failed to live up to the expectations. L730 will eat Moto G2 and any other phone around the price range for breakfast. It'll even devour L830 sale for good. It'll be the best selling phone and it totally deserves to be. L830- what a disappointment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss