Lumia 830 disapointment, and why it will fail

Status
Not open for further replies.

anguslhs

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
I think Microsoft is being too optimistic about the Nokia brand and the Preview camera. Don't get me wrong, I love the design of the Lumia 830. It is one of the best looking phones. But at this stage, Microsoft should NOT be just on par with other phones at the same price to get people switch over to Windows Phone (and an average consumer know about the disadvantage of Windows Phone, the app gap). Microsoft needs to be better than the competition to get people trying out new things and get out of the already developed Android 'comfort zone'. But no, the Lumia 830 is not better than the competition. In fact, it's worse than phones at the same price and offering the same internals as phones which are cheaper. I thought there is the S600, not just the S400 and S800 lineup. Why don't they use something in between the Lumia 930 (the real flagship) and the Lumia 730 or the 630?

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
yep u r right there are lots of other other things but build quality is one of an key factor. thats the only reason metallics and polycarbonates phones are much costlier than plastic ones!

This is indeed true, metal costs more than plastic but the 830's edges are only made of metal the rest is plastic. It has a great design and probably a great camera, but they should've improved more of the internals if they wanted to label it a "affordable flagship".

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
This is indeed true, metal costs more than plastic but the 830's edges are only made of metal the rest is plastic. It has a great design and probably a great camera, but they should've improved more of the internals if they wanted to label it a "affordable flagship".

It's polycarbonate FYI, and it feels incredible in the hand. The glossy iPhone 4 feels like a piece of glass (although it's built pretty "good").

Ankit Nawlakha

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
BETTER design, Pureview Camera, capctive navigation buttion, qi charging, flash etc etc there are lots of features which will obviously make it costlier than L630.... and the fail will b only becoz of lack of knowledge about windows phone in people who jst go and buy an android!

Or an iPhone!

Nokia4me

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft needs to come out with an 830/930 phone with a Snapdragon 800 on AT&T or I'll just wait until they do. I love everything about the 830 except the processor. I just can't bring myself to waste a two year contract on a measly Snapdragon 400 I could get for a hundred bucks on Amazon with the 635.

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Moto X (the new one) is the real affordable flagship.

Lumi 830 should have Full HD OLED screen, 2GB RAM and at least a Snapdragon 600. Not the midrange specs.

Lumia 830 is will fail for sure.

Microsoft need more agressive prices.

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I think Microsoft is being too optimistic about the Nokia brand and the Preview camera. Don't get me wrong, I love the design of the Lumia 830. It is one of the best looking phones. But at this stage, Microsoft should NOT be just on par with other phones at the same price to get people switch over to Windows Phone (and an average consumer know about the disadvantage of Windows Phone, the app gap). Microsoft needs to be better than the competition to get people trying out new things and get out of the already developed Android 'comfort zone'. But no, the Lumia 830 is not better than the competition. In fact, it's worse than phones at the same price and offering the same internals as phones which are cheaper. I thought there is the S600, not just the S400 and S800 lineup. Why don't they use something in between the Lumia 930 (the real flagship) and the Lumia 730 or the 630?

The only downfall of windows is the app gap. But still, why do all the people always focus on apps, games? Some of my family members have windows phones, even as old as Lumia 710, they're still quite happy with it. Because it at least has the basic apps for day today use. Also windows phones are good for business, not all of them buy phones by looking at the number of apps. Windows phones doesn't lag & is surely a hell lot stable as compared to Android. Talking about Lumia 830, snapdragon 400 is fine, because if Microsoft used 600 or 800, then surely the price would have increased. Its fine for a higher mid ranged phone.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
The only downfall of windows is the app gap. But still, why do all the people always focus on apps, games? Some of my family members have windows phones, even as old as Lumia 710, they're still quite happy with it. Because it at least has the basic apps for day today use. Also windows phones are good for business, not all of them buy phones by looking at the number of apps. Windows phones doesn't lag & is surely a hell lot stable as compared to Android. Talking about Lumia 830, snapdragon 400 is fine, because if Microsoft used 600 or 800, then surely the price would have increased. Its fine for a higher mid ranged phone.
Tbh the 830 can compete with the iPhone. 10mp camera vs 8mp. 720p vs almost 720p custom resolution. However the iohone 6 will probably blow this phone away.

Rajat Lath

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
& iPhone 6's price will blow all away

that doest matter when it comes to contract phone i guess in countries like INDIA where we have to buy unlocked phone prices matter much when it comes to flagships....... though Reliance has started giving on-contract phones ip5s and Lumia 1520 but stilll very few people willprefer this if iphone6 also comes on-contract

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
that doest matter when it comes to contract phone i guess in countries like INDIA where we have to buy unlocked phone prices matter much when it comes to flagships....... though Reliance has started giving on-contract phones ip5s and Lumia 1520 but stilll very few people willprefer this if iphone6 also comes on-contract

Just check out this thread,'Is Microsoft making money from Windows phone?'. I've spoken about iPhones, windows, sales everything. I would surely not repeat all of that again in this thread. Check it out & come back to me with your views

exleper

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
It's been stated all over the place. None of the announced devices are intended for the U.S. market. Adapted versions of these devices may come to the U.S. in the future, but for now this was a "global launch" (a.k.a. everywhere except the U.S.)

Does anyone know what is planned for US Verizon this year? If anything? I cant find anything official.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
this thread is utter nonsense im sorry to say
since when is windows phone massively spec hungry that its getting compared to cheaper android phones
this is the straight looking horse situation,look at the whole deal not just specs etc
this is windows phone we are talking about,one of the most secure and best optimised os till date (so is ios but not as much as wp)
my 720 with dual core and 512mb ram doesnt lag and runs games perfectly without lag, whereas most quad core and even octa core mediatek androids lag like crazy
you can compare the 830 with a moto g but forget that its a NOKIA,Nokia stands for build quality , the best after sales in any brand till date,phenomenal battery life and cameras,updates are filled with new features unlike ios and android where each update is massively overhyped as though wp7 devices got 8.1 or something(dont mean to offend anyone but what i meant is android L and ios 8 arent really counted as major updates imho) also since windows phone is well opimtised and secure something android will probably never be,the cpu doesnt mean it performs bad
i hate when people base stuff purely off specs even though the phone is yet to release and given by previous experience i can safely conclude the 830 is going to be the best 30-series lumia(beating even the 930 im sure)

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I find the whole 730/735/830 situation in the USA just bizarre. No US carriers have mentioned them. In early previews to the press they were told the new phones were global but were not coming to the US. Now the phones are listed as coming soon to the US on Nokia's website. The only US carrier that has the flagship Lumia phone has not released 8.1 and Cyan for it and other high spec Windows 8 phones like the Ativ Se are basically being ignored and not supported. Major Microsoft and Nokia services like HERE, OneDrive, Office and Skype are constantly being upgraded and improved lately for iOS and Android while ignoring their own Windows Phone. The whole situation is just goofy right now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs