I don't play games - Could the Lumia 830/SD400 still cut the mustard coming from a 920?

The Lard

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
Along the lines of something I posted in an earlier thread which now seems to have taken on a new relevance now following the L830 announcement:

The Lumia 830 has a SD400 rather than an 800 as we'd hoped, however everything else about it is perfect for me. As a non-gamer, should the SD400 be enough to put me off altogether coming from a L920? The key thing here is I'm not too interested in comparisons against SD800 devices such as the 930 which would clearly outperform it as this isn't my experience. What matters to me is how this phone will feel to use after my 920.

As I said game performance isn't generally an issue, more just the general speed of core OS and apps. I find performance on my 920 to be fine and I don't see a need for a massive improvement, however I certainly wouldn't want to upgrade to something that performed noticeably less well.

I really want to want the 830, however I need to be convinced that it's up to the job and at the moment I'm not. (I realise that we need to wait for reviews/benchmarks etc really, this is more just a prompt for discussion around the issue and perhaps to share any experience people have of similar hardware).

BTW I've been following the scene since 'Windows Phone 7 Series' days but only just registered on here the other day. Good to be involved guys! :eek:)

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I doubt its a "huge step backwards" as the hyperbole filled negativity train will have you believe and i would bet you wouldn't really be able to see any performance degradation. You will definitely get a better camera, Miracast, SD card and a slimmer, lighter phone so I think it would be a good upgrade if ultimate performance isn't a requirement.
Sent from my Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk

JimiDiGriz

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Maybe cause you got weak eyesight and poor hand eye coordination?

Sam, you've been pretty active on the boards today and made some valid points around graphical performance of the S400 and S600/800 which is clearly a major issue for you as a phone gamer but I've got to be honest, the increasingly snidey comments aren't helping your cause. People are allowed to disagree and have opinions that differ from yours, you're not going to win them over to your way of thinking via aggression.

brooza664

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
I've got a L920 and occasionally play games on it. Usually solitaire and freecell etc.

As long as it can do these without overheating and dying like my 920 does, I'll be happy

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Not to hijack the thread, but how will video streaming performance on this device compare to say the 930 or 1520? Any difference? I don't game either.

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Not to hijack the thread, but how will video streaming performance on this device compare to say the 930 or 1520? Any difference? I don't game either.

see Qualcomm website -
https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon/processors/400

they show 1080P video and being able to take 3D photos... so have to believe this is a capable graphics core, certainly capable enough to view video with...
I have NO issues watching 720p video on the Lumia 520 i am moonlighting with (while i wait for the 830 or perhaps the next flagship)

EDIT:
not to mention the Miracast support... that should be enough to prove its capable

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
you have to take into consideration the core count/performance ratio too. Most softwares can't fully use a quad-core yet and some of the more advanced ones just starting to use quads. So in my opinion, the strong dual core of the S4 will outpace the weak ARM-A7 quad core. (they're not even using their Krait cores, instead choosing to use an architecture circa iPhone 4).

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Yes. You'll be fine.

Overall performance would probably be the same.

It's up to you.. If you think the 10MP and the SD card slot is worthy enough upgrade for you I can't see why not. The screen though wouldn't be as pixel densed as the 920.

But for me, it's probably much better to save more and get something more worthy of an upgrade from the 920 since the differences are minimal. Like the M8 or the 1520..

Bottom line: You'd be fine with the processor but coming from a 920 you wouldn't feel you upgraded imo. The 830 is something like the 920 with minimal improvements. Save a little more and get something better but that's just my advice.

The Lard

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
Bottom line: You'd be fine with the processor but coming from a 920 you wouldn't feel you upgraded imo. The 830 is something like the 920 with minimal improvements. Save a little more and get something better but that's just my advice

Thanks for the advice. Thing is I really want to stick with Lumia because of Glance amongst other things, which rules out both the M8 and the 930, and I just wouldn't be able to get on with the size of the 1520 as great as the device is.

830 wouldn't really feel like much of an upgrade I know. I kind of just want the slightly bigger screen really, the ~40 PPI drop I could live with... but it is hard to justify. I don't really feel any urgent need to do away with my 920 so maybe I'll just hang on a while longer and see what next year brings.

kb4000

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
The thing is that most mobile games, at least on WP, really don't utilize the full graphical capability of the chipset. They are designed for the lowest common denominator. They're designed to run on the slowest phones of the generation. So for 99% of the games out there it would be like arguing if minesweeper would run better on an alienware $4000 computer or a $200 laptop. It wouldn't matter because minesweeper wouldn't be hitting limits on either. Most games can run on fine on a Lumia 525 so they should run fine on the 830. Real world usage is the most important. I don't care what my benchmark scores are as long as I can do what I want with my phone.

mijacs

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
It probably will be fine for you. Web browsing will most likely be slower. We will have to wait to see how camera performance is.

ronaldme

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
YBottom line: You'd be fine with the processor but coming from a 920 you wouldn't feel you upgraded imo. The 830 is something like the 920 with minimal improvements. Save a little more and get something better but that's just my advice.

Having SD Card, better camera, a modern CPU (even if the same or lower speed , it is newer), SensorCore and Denim since Day 1 is "minimal improvements"? it is even thinner than L920.

Web browsing will most likely be slower.

Can you elaborate?

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I know I'm considering the 830 as a replacement for my 920. My only concern is that it's so much lighter that my wife would probably realize it's actually a new phone. "No no no honey, it's the same phone I've always had; it's just got that new firmware update i was telling you about." :p

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I know I'm considering the 830 as a replacement for my 920. My only concern is that it's so much lighter that my wife would probably realize it's actually a new phone. "No no no honey, it's the same phone I've always had; it's just got that new firmware update i was telling you about." :p
Just tell her it's a "transformium firmware update" ... it uses Autobot technology to update the hardware OTA.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786