nokia lumia 1020 successor

Sniper1087

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I dont understand why all this lower end to mid range devices from Nokia keep getting released, when it has been more than a year now since the 925 or 1020 released, with no upgrade to their hardware... I still don't get what Microsoft is thinking, I been waiting to change my device to the next big iteration of WP but it seems I will have to look elsewhere if nothing is done.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
The 930 is the flagship and all other phones are upgrading according to that. The may not be a 935 or a 1030 so waiting for either of those may be a mistake. Or they may not come out until next year. We don't know. What's come out looks like Nokia finishing off their upgrades. No one said the 925, 1020 or 1520 needed to be upgraded.

tommikovski

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I think the 925 won?t get an successor. The whole purpose for the 925 was a slimmer, lighter and unsuspicious 920 variant for the business oriented customers. With the 930 those two (920 & 925) merged pretty well ? therefore i can?t imagine a 935 in the near future.
Same goes fot the 1020 :-( My guts tell that there won?t be a 1030, but the camera tech will be kept alive in the next iterations of 930/830 ... . The camera centric phone was more a "proof of concept" and did not sell as well as similar devices. Still have to say that i love my 1020 and i hope that i?m totally wrong on this one, but only time will tell.

Cheers,
​Tom

BatteryLife

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Well... the NL1020 is quite considered a niche device... Not many people have vast interest into photography.

On a side note, I am actually very eager to see what MS/Nokia phone division can introduce to the world. Better hope that its groundbreaking...

Sniper1087

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
the thing is that all the phones that are getting released now are all mid range to low end devices and that's disheartening, I like WP platform but phones like the 930 in the US as the icon is not new and the specs are equal to that of the 1520 which came out almost a year now, the only one that is high end would be the htc one, but I am not sure I would leave nokia for htc, considering nokia hardware is great and camera is always outstanding.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
the thing is that all the phones that are getting released now are all mid range to low end devices and that's disheartening, I like WP platform but phones like the 930 in the US as the icon is not new and the specs are equal to that of the 1520 which came out almost a year now, the only one that is high end would be the htc one, but I am not sure I would leave nokia for htc, considering nokia hardware is great and camera is always outstanding.

Technically the 930 and 1520 may be "old' but Nokia has shown again how they can keep a device fresh even a year later. Getting 4K recording one year after release is the kind of thing you will never see HTC do so even if the One M8 theoretically has newer hardware (.1 hardware iteration) a Nokia 930 or 1520 is by far the better buy.

b0blight

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Ok. The successor for the Lumia 1020 will not be coming anytime soon, but there will be a successor. You see, I think this was mentioned in an article in WPCentral before. The 1020 was created for a NICHE market (for those people for are into mobile photography). Since it was created for a niche market, there is not the need for Nokia to refresh it EVERY year, unlike your flagships, which will get refreshed every year with newer specs, or newer designs (i.e. 920, 930, 1520). The 1020 will most likely get a successor, but not on a yearly basis. Maybe it will be 1 1/2 years from the release before they unveil a new ones. As for the camera tech, it will not be 1020 / high-end phones only. The technology will trickle down to the middle range devices (930, and the newly announced 830) and/or other phones. Of course, you will not get the full 41MP on the lower end phones, but scaled down resolutions (10, 20) but with the same sensors and same tech. So this being said, there will most likely be a follow-up to the 1020, or there may not be. So lets keep our fingers crossed and hope !

Sniper1087

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
my point is we are in Q4 and the only high end device released was the icon/930 which had the same specs as the 1520, I'm just surprised they keep releasing phones that are lower end and mid range but nothing for the high end market. I am hoping something gets released soon.

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Please stop saying "Nokia" anything. They no longer exist. Y
These phones appear to be the last of their drawing board. It will probably be another year before we see a really high end MICROSOFT MOBILE phone. The way its going isn't good though. Too many entry level phones. I've said this before; if they want to compete with crApple, they need to trim the line of phones back. Android may have more phones around the world, but do we care about a garbage phone that costs $40? I want high end "wow" devises. Ones that shatter the status quo of battery life and processing ability. If they don't do that in the next year, windows phone may be toast within 36mo. All imo of corse.

Ashalinia

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
These phones appear to be the last of their drawing board. It will probably be another year before we see a really high end MICROSOFT MOBILE phone. The way its going isn't good though. Too many entry level phones. I've said this before; if they want to compete with crApple, they need to trim the line of phones back. Android may have more phones around the world, but do we care about a garbage phone that costs $40? I want high end "wow" devises. Ones that shatter the status quo of battery life and processing ability. If they don't do that in the next year, windows phone may be toast within 36mo. All imo of corse.

Nokia still does exist... in our hearts. <3

I'd expect a flagship from MSM (that's my new abbreviation for Microsoft Mobile, not Methylsulfonylmethane) soon enough since the 500-900 series phones all have refreshes now. We've yet to see a 1030, 1330, or 1530 yet so who knows...

Rasmus Klingenberg

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site

"Garbage phones" like the 520 is by far the most important market for increasing market share, which is the first priority right now. You CANNOT sell high-end phones to the mainstream market if your OS isn't up to modern standards, especially in terms of apps.

Nokia do exist. The only difference is that the same tech and divisions are now owned by microsoft.

DrRyder

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Check this screenshot out. Been seeing something around about a Lumia 1820 that's supposed to have amazing specs, 20 mpixel camera, etc. So I decided to ask Nokia US about it.

http://puu.sh/bmKMq/fbbb4757e0.png

Not much other than "Stay posted for details ;)" but this kinda hints to me that this device could be real and we may have a successor to our beloved 1020 soon.

Ashalinia

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Check this screenshot out. Been seeing something around about a Lumia 1820 that's supposed to have amazing specs, 20 mpixel camera, etc. So I decided to ask Nokia US about it.

http://puu.sh/bmKMq/fbbb4757e0.png

Not much other than "Stay posted for details ;)" but this kinda hints to me that this device could be real and we may have a successor to our beloved 1020 soon.

They should call it a 1030 if it's a 1020 successor though.. 1820 makes things confusing.

trainplane

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
The 1020 is a very good photography phone but it doesn't blow all other phone cameras away. It wasn't really revolutionary. If MS made a phone with the quality of a high end P&S or even Micro 4/3rds. OIS, large sensor, etc. No phone camera is even as good as a high end P&S. If the 1030 can do this, it would be revolutionary for the camera phone and would get people talking. MS needs a phone that is the absolute best in class and this is the one thing they can do.

They cover the low end will the Lumias and all those Billy phones, but they don't have a high end right now outside of the M8 which isn't a good camera phone.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
^ the revolution, or the leap forward, happened with the introduction of PureView PRO during the Mobile World Congress in February of 2012. That's when the crowd didn't know how to react when they said "41 megapixel sensor" on stage.. it was kind of funny actually.

Nokia proceeded to win several prestigious awards for the technology:

(that TIPA award is huge)

which took over five years of research and development. The original pureview idea took mobile imaging to the next level, literally.

The only reason you would say that the 1020 was not "revolutionary" is because it came a year later... other than that, its a very similar idea, and it is indeed far ahead of anything else out there.

trainplane

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
^ the revolution, or the leap forward, happened with the introduction of PureView PRO during the Mobile World Congress in February of 2012. That's when the crowd didn't know how to react when they said "41 megapixel sensor" on stage.. it was kind of funny actually.

Nokia proceeded to win several prestigious awards for the technology:

(that TIPA award is huge)

which took over five years of research and development. The original pureview idea took mobile imaging to the next level, literally.

The only reason you would say that the 1020 was not "revolutionary" is because it came a year later... other than that, its a very similar idea, and it is indeed far ahead of anything else out there.

In terms of camera hardware, the 1020 was the best out there and might still be the best, but when you have Laptop Magazine and others saying the iPhone 5S's camera beats it (and I know they are clueless), the 1020 doesn't blow it out of the water. Even if Laptop Mag is wrong, a truly revolutionary phone camera shouldn't just be a bit better. It should be head and shoulders better especially since its sensor is so much bigger than the 5S. Plus the slow shot speed really turns people off. Photography is about picture quality but also about shot speed. Many DSLR's are really trying to make their auto-focus work as fast as possible.

Maybe it's the timing or whatever, but now MS has a chance to make a 1030 with no compromises. If they can do that, it would give a Lumia phone something no other phone can touch. Currently, no Windows Phone, Lumia or otherwise, can make that claim (of being by far the best at something).

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Go to a site like dpreview.com for a proper camera review, not the tripe apple biased sites like laptop magazine serve.
Sent from my Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel