4K recording for 830.?

Victoroos

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
hi all

I have a simple question. Because of the SD 400, we won't get "hey cortana"... but will we get the 4K recording trick they showed earlier?

Does anyone know?
vkr
victor

Victoroos

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Ooww. That is a shame.. Is the 400 any good at all... It sounds an awful lot like a last gen processor.... :S. It tempers my enthusiasm for the 830 a lot...

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Ooww. That is a shame.. Is the 400 any good at all... It sounds an awful lot like a last gen processor.... :S. It tempers my enthusiasm for the 830 a lot...

The Snapdragon 400 is by no means a bad processor, it should keep things running pretty smoothly. Even the Snapdragon 600 isn't capable of 4K.

You should also consider that a lot of the flagships of the previous year and this year, such as the iPhone 5S, Nexus 5 and HTC One M8 have 1080p recording.

1080p is still pretty good, though I wonder how a 1080p movie would look like on a 4K screen.

Just curious, how many people with a 4k TV or other device are looking for an "affordable" flagship?

Haha yeah, if you can purchase a 4K TV you'll probably be able to purchase a 4K capable phone, because both are pretty expensive.

poken1151

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Though this is true, I agree with Victoroos. Why spin the flagship affordability when you're starting with a device lacking all you're now supporting internally. I feel they over played it and left (and will leave) more than a good few wondering either, "why start hamstrung? I'll buy a Moto G at 200 and get all Android has" or "This is Microsoft's 'flagship'? Yea, I'll stick with my [other flagship], thankyouverymuch".

I don't mean to so easily join the rest of the shouting squad on this device, I also think yea, minus the processor, everything else sounds like my dream of what I wanted from a 930. I may still try to pick it up, particularly if the US price has it at say 249 (or lower if deals?) But again, even something like the new moto g or htc desire is sounding a lot more tempting. And Apple hasn't even come out with their flagship flagship yet, and once they do, this will be like all prior years: MS's event quickly swallowed up by every news station and their grandma talking about Apple (who do make solid and great devices). That said, I know MS know's it's not on the end to be making a 600$ phone. As much as they want to be that handset, they are acutely aware, I'd wager, that the demand would not balance out for a solid 1030 with exciting experiments. So for now, they play it safe, but still.........

Anyway, here I'll stay for now, but I worry about the platform's growth sincerely.

Victoroos

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
I'm flattered.. ;)..
Yes.. Only the processor is a minus point for me.... But ow well.. I'm finally able to get cortana.. Unlike the HTC 8x...
Do you guys know.. Is the s4 which is in the 8x a lot slower, ene though it is dual core and not quad core?..

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm flattered.. ;)..
Yes.. Only the processor is a minus point for me.... But ow well.. I'm finally able to get cortana.. Unlike the HTC 8x...
Do you guys know.. Is the s4 which is in the 8x a lot slower, ene though it is dual core and not quad core?..

It's possible that the 830 has a faster CPU than your 8X, so it might do regular tasks faster. However 830 has a weaker GPU, so 8X will be better for gaming.

Other than that you can enable Cortana on your HTC 8X by changing region.

Artem Veselovsky

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site

It's actually slower no matter cores count. The S400 in 830 is Cortex A7 architecture. And has lower frequency. The S4 in 8X GPU is leaps and bounds faster than the S400. Performance wise 830 is a loss.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
It's actually slower no matter cores count. The S400 in 830 is Cortex A7 architecture. And has lower frequency. The S4 in 8X GPU is leaps and bounds faster than the S400. Performance wise 830 is a loss.

While I was a bit on the fence about this as well, it's not just easy saying one processor is better than the other.

The Snapdragon 400 CPU beats the older Snapdragon S4 used previously in high end Windows Phones, however the GPU is a completely different story.

The Adreno 225 used on the Snapdragon S4 is way better than the Adreno 305 used in Snapdragon 400.

So if you are into regular everyday tasks, snapdragon 400 takes the cake.

But if you are more into gaming, the Snapdragon S4 with Adreno 225 would be better.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I found the video overview of Lumia Camera changes. It confirmed that you cannot do 4K on the 830... and that even on the top devices that recording time would be limited until the phone got too hot from recording the 4K video. Around 5 minutes was suggested.

I guess 4K pushes the CPU to its absolute maximum capability and due to phones being tiny the heat just can't get out - so even on the 80x flagship models you can only record 4K until the phone gets too hot!

SAM 77

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

Yeah its the flagship with no flagship features just half assed marketing hype to blind the WP fan boys.

Market share is falling and this phone is only gonna add to that pain.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos