Weird battery issues after updating to WP 8.1 GDR1

nfsleo07

May 22, 2013
Visit site
So, everything was fine with my 1520 after I updated it to Cyan. But things started to change after I updated it GDR1.
  • My phone now discharges at a rate of about 10% an hour even when i am not doing anything
  • suppose I am watching a movie or playing a game at 40% battery level, the phone displays a low battery prompt and the phone immediately switches off. I can easily turn on my device again and see that the battery was indeed around 40% before it switched off
  • heats up randomly and the battery drains fully. I believe Cortana is behind it because turning GPS ON and OFF seems to fix it
Then a new update came, a small 21MB update, which I thought would fix the issue but it is still there!
I have even performed soft-reset on device 2-3 times but it hasn't helped at all.
Anyone else facing a problem like this??

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Cortana is surely behind the battery IMHO. Before GDR1 on Cyan Full Battery on my 1020 would show est time remaining on Insider app as 1 day 17-18 Hours and now it has dropped to 1 day 4-5 Hours If I am lucky.

Charged before going to bed the battery used to drain by 4% on avg every night on GDR1 but after the mini update to GDR1 the drain seems to have increased to 10-15% every night. Fingers crossed it will be taken care off when it officially releases.

FYKI for the above discharge rate noticed I had a data, wifi and location on 24/7. Switching off location doesnt seem to have any effect on insiders estimate. Mysteriously the battery sense shows all apps with background rights to drain the same amount of battery.( the worm indicator shows the same length of about 2mm.)

P.S Considered the options mentioned in one of the links provided in the posts below. Seems to have fixed a different problem of "resuming" altogether.

Last edited:

aikidaves

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Last edited:

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Try unpinning the Cortana live tile and see if it makes a difference. Lots of people have reported lag and/or battery issues that removing the tile fixed. I didn't really have a problem on my 920, but removing the tile improved my battery life a noticeable amount.

See http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8-1-preview-developers/294863-if-youre-having-battery-issues-overheating-resuming-delayed-power-button-wakes-try-these.html for this and some other ideas.

I am open to all suggestions when it comes to tweaking and $#IT. What is the worst that can happen? No improvement. Well atleast I tried is my theory
I did all 5 steps mentioned and nothing. With the restart complete and that it still shows no change in the insider app. Just plain old 1 Day 6 hours and 23 mins. LOL Cortana removal didnt actually change a thing in terms of the battery life maybe it needs a battery reset like drain close to nothing and then recharge it all the way up maybe that will help. while the battery life hasnt changed much I havent seen one single resuming screen yet. Help My phone seems to be sick LOL.

aikidaves

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Doing a battery drain/reset might help if there's an issue with your battery's capacity calibration. I had that problem on my 920, and it gained me back a few hours. If you haven't done it in a while, or ever, then it's worth a shot.

nfsleo07

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Cortana is surely behind the battery IMHO. Before GDR1 on Cyan Full Battery on my 1020 would show est time remaining on Insider app as 1 day 17-18 Hours and now it has dropped to 1 day 4-5 Hours If I am lucky.

Charged before going to bed the battery used to drain by 4% on avg every night on GDR1 but after the mini update to GDR1 the drain seems to have increased to 10-15% every night. Fingers crossed it will be taken care off when it officially releases.

FYKI for the above discharge rate noticed I had a data, wifi and location on 24/7. Switching off location doesnt seem to have any effect on insiders estimate. Mysteriously the battery sense shows all apps with background rights to drain the same amount of battery.( the worm indicator shows the same length of about 2mm.)

P.S Considered the options mentioned in one of the links provided in the posts below. Seems to have fixed a different problem of "resuming" altogether.

Cortana was never a trouble with the official Cyan. Things only worsened after the GDR1 update. And now that you mention, I also think that the conditions actually worsened after that stupid mini update. Hope it gets fixed soon!
Also, are you in any case facing the second problem I had mentioned. suppose I am watching a movie or playing a game at around 40% battery, I get a low battery notification and the phone turns off immediately. It is really irritating(Note: it does not happen every time but 1 in 3 chances)

nfsleo07

May 22, 2013
Visit site
thanks for help, but my phones battery has already run out 2-3 times, so I didn't have to do a battery reset myself. but things haven't improved yet!

aikidaves

May 21, 2014
Visit site
thanks for help, but my phones battery has already run out 2-3 times, so I didn't have to do a battery reset myself. but things haven't improved yet!

Ugh. If soft resets and battery drain-outs haven't worked, you're probably looking at a hard reset. I'm sorry to have to mention that.

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Cortana was never a trouble with the official Cyan. Things only worsened after the GDR1 update. And now that you mention, I also think that the conditions actually worsened after that stupid mini update. Hope it gets fixed soon!
Also, are you in any case facing the second problem I had mentioned. suppose I am watching a movie or playing a game at around 40% battery, I get a low battery notification and the phone turns off immediately. It is really irritating(Note: it does not happen every time but 1 in 3 chances)

No the second prob doesnt occur at all.

Here is an update. I drained the battery close to nothing and then recharged it full. Said the same thing. 1day 3 hours. Went to bed and this morning funny thing the batter had drained down to 87%%%%. Shocker, the litlle F*&U*r used to drain only 4% overnight. from memory. but now AARGHhhh! on the other hand insider which was showing 1day 3 hours was now down by only 3 hours 0_o. put it to charge again for 18 mins to get to 100% and then mysteriously insider shows 1day 6 hours and 55 mins. Well I went to work few call, couple of texts and some photos browsing few mins on FB and reach home after 9.5 hours to find battery down to 76% which was my normal thing before this thing started. Anyway Insider shows 1 day and few mins left. Weird Isnt it for same settings and different battery levels Insider shows similar time remaining.
I dont know why I get a feeling that GDR1 is messing with the insider somehow. What do you reckon? It may not be Miss Cortana afterall!!
The app shows battery level same as battery sense. With the time I am not sure what it was like in battery sense when Insider was 1day 3 hours.

The phone battery just went from 76 to 100 in 25 mins. Is it a good rate? and comapring battery sense and insider this time both shows 1 day 6 hours.

What is it like on standby? and what settings? Cortana live tile on?
My settings have no live tile for cortana which pretty much made no difference to battery life. emails syncs every 2 hours and kids corner was turned on and off again. like that link suggested earlier. all apps opened and run once and the phone restarted.

What are your settings like? Apps in background? anything else you have to look at from the link earlier?

Ugh. If soft resets and battery drain-outs haven't worked, you're probably looking at a hard reset. I'm sorry to have to mention that.

Painful but I am hoping that he doesnt have to use it till the end as a last resort.

Last edited:

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Dear Op This might seem a little crazy but I would like to try something different with your phone. Hope you can indulge me on this one.
I have a very strong feeling that some apps may be interfering with each other. In your store obviously you will have a download history which will help you get them back.

If you could uninstall all the apps that are there in your arsenal, restart the phone with soft reset and install the apps that you have one at a time and check on the battery sense after each install to see if there is any change in it. After each install run the app and then check. If you are ok with the result then go to battery sense and allow them to run or not run in the background as per preference. The more apps that run in the background the less the battery life.

Go them one by one and see how you go. If you can hard reset before this ideal conditions will be there. If you can get off DP 1 to only Cyan and chk this method great!!

If under 8.1 you get better results and fine by it stick with it. After you go back to cyan and no significant change I would say warranty return to nokia. it is not even a year that it is released and sometimes this happens.

hopefully you get your fav phone in the best state asap.

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Latest on this battery issue. I think insider takes it sweet time to reset everything along with battery sense.In the last 2 days i have noticed a gradual increase in the standyby life of battery shown. From 1 day 6 it went to 7, then 8 and now 9. last nights charge showed 1 day and 8 hours 53 mins. Overnight it lost 2% battery and the standyby went up to 1 day 9 hours and 56 mins. 0_o mysterious. and battery consumption is still shocking. I was on ebay for 2 mins or so and it took 3% off my battery. Really?

nfsleo07

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Hey,
So I have tried everything but nothing has changed. I did hard reset twice on WP 8.1 GDR1. even that didn't help. I still got 10% drain/hour even with very light usage.
Then I used Nokia software recovery tool to bring it back to WP8.1 Cyan. Nothing changed. Still getting that battery drain of 10%/hour. I cant even think of playing games on my device anymore. I have to charge my device twice everyday with moderate usage.
I am sick of this phone now. I guess there is some hardware issue so I will have to take this device to the "intelligent" care centre guys who know only one solution to every problem: Hard Reset!

Edit: Cortana is no longer a suspect cause I have changed my region settings back to my own country which doesn't support cortana, so I believe coratana was not after this!

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Hey,
So I have tried everything but nothing has changed. I did hard reset twice on WP 8.1 GDR1. even that didn't help. I still got 10% drain/hour even with very light usage.
Then I used Nokia software recovery tool to bring it back to WP8.1 Cyan. Nothing changed. Still getting that battery drain of 10%/hour. I cant even think of playing games on my device anymore. I have to charge my device twice everyday with moderate usage.
I am sick of this phone now. I guess there is some hardware issue so I will have to take this device to the "intelligent" care centre guys who know only one solution to every problem: Hard Reset!

Edit: Cortana is no longer a suspect cause I have changed my region settings back to my own country which doesn't support cortana, so I believe coratana was not after this!

Some where earlier there was a link and I swear by it.
Talking about weird issues with the battery here is a screen shot with light use Location wifi and 3g on but no wifi for a long time. few calls messages and emails synced 2 hours. chk this out
wp_ss_20140916_0001.png

P.S The little dip was charged back to 100 in the morning and then the large dip was heavy use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs