What do you think about the 4K video filming for L1520?

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Most content, including movies are 24 FPS(with motion blur). The motion blur is what makes the movies smooth to our eyes.

Most open world games try to keep FPS locked at 30, this includes GTA, Watch Dogs, etc.

First person shooters put FPS, above all, and all games try to keep the FPS around 60 to be extremely smooth.

In this sense, the Lumia 1520 and other devices will support 4K at 24 and 30 FPS, so it's not a gimmick it'll be a pretty useful feature.

Saying "gimmick" these days is the new gimmick.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I guess it's fine for future support, but the device itself has a 1080p display, and the majority of monitors and TVs sold are 1080p, so it's mostly an overkill epeen spec.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I think every and all movies that get released in cinema is at 24fps.....
Television sitcoms are at 30fps (documentaries I think are at 24fps)
Games are ideal at 30fps (CONSTANT no drops below 30), or 60fps (ideally cuz then framedrops wont visually affect it too much)

Movies are recorded at 24fps, but you watch them at 48/60/72/96/120/240 fps. Watching 24fps would be like watching a slideshow. Even when every frame is doubled, at 48fps, you can still see flicker.

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Movies are recorded at 24fps, but you watch them at 48/60/72/96/120/240 fps. Watching 24fps would be like watching a slideshow. Even when every frame is doubled, at 48fps, you can still see flicker.

Most of movies we watch on PC are 23.97 fps FYI, at least all what I've watched.

P.S. I've watched only one 60fps movie, forgot the name.

Edit 1. You have a superpower btw, you can see flicker in 48 fps movies lol.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Most of movies we watch on PC are 23.97 FYI, at least all what I've watched.

What's your point? Watching 24fps on a PC isn't exactly plug and play. There are plenty of pieces in that chain to botch a native 24fps (or 23.976) output. The playback software, GPU and any additional processing software all have to be manually set to 24fps output. Not to mention the Monitor. Sure, most PC monitors are no issue, but if you have a TV connected that just adds to the mess.

24fps is a slow refresh rate, there's no argument about it.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Most of movies we watch on PC are 23.97 fps FYI, at least all what I've watched.

Edit 1. You have a superpower btw, you can see flicker in 48 fps movies lol.

48fps flicker is a huge issue with Panasonic plasma's. Its not hard to see. The higher end Panasonic models use 96fps to avoid this.

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
What's your point? Watching 24fps on a PC isn't exactly plug and play. There are plenty of pieces in that chain to botch a native 24fps (or 23.976) output. The playback software, GPU and any additional processing software all have to be manually set to 24fps output. Not to mention the Monitor. Sure, most PC monitors are no issue, but if you have a TV connected that just adds to the mess.

24fps is a slow refresh rate, there's no argument about it.

FPS is not related to refresh rate. The image of the movie is not refreshing, it's a just a sequence of a lot of images (frames), This is the monitor which refreshes and flickers (60Hz is low, 120Hz is fine enough).
Don't confuse Hz with FPS.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
FPS is not related to refresh rate. The image of the movie is not refreshing, it's a just a sequence of a lot of images (frames), This is the monitor which refreshes and flickers (60Hz is low, 120Hz is fine enough).
Don't confuse Hz with FPS.

I'm aware of the difference, but missing your point, again.

The relation between the content's FPS and monitors refresh rate is the end result. How can you say they are not related?

Edit: My specific point about 48hz flicker is only with 24fps content. You cannot watch 60fps or 59.9Xfps content at 48hz on any mainstream TV.

uzeroni

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
What if the camera sensor doesn't support 60 and 120 FPS video at those resolutions? Does anyone know what sensor is being used on the 1520? I could search about it.

And the OIS wobble is probably a hardware defect, that's what I hear anyways.
Well, theoretically, any camera sensor above 2 megapixels with the right ISP can do 120/720fps at 1080p. It's just a matter of software support.
And the OIS wobble was supposedly linked to the CAF algorithms in Cyan. I'm really hopeful since they rewrote the entire Lumia Camera and with new algorithms it will go away. 4 second exposures are impossible right now :D

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm aware of the difference, but missing your point, again.

According to what you write, you don't look to be aware of the difference.

You cannot watch a movie on a 2+ times higher fps than it was recorded (actually you can, but the movie itself will run twice or much quicker).

The relation between the content's FPS and monitors refresh rate is the end result. How can you say they are not related?
What you say is about impression and experience, technically these two things are not related to each other (FPS is a software part, refresh rate is only related to the display).

ricardowieira

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
Well, to be honest: unnecessary feature, at least for now. 4K TV/Monitors still very expensives. Rather see features like, high-speed camera (120fps+).

Last edited:

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Edit: My specific point about 48hz flicker is only with 24fps content. You cannot watch 60fps or 59.9Xfps content at 48hz on any mainstream TV.

Sorry, what?
Again, how is related refresh rate to the fps?

Edit 1. You can even watch 120fps on 30Hz display. It will not be fine for the eyes and brain, but overall you will realize that the movie has higher fps.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
According to what you write, you don't look to be aware of the difference.

You cannot watch a movie on a 2+ times higher fps than it was recorded (actually you can, but the movie itself will run twice or much quicker).

What you say is about impression and experience, technically these two things are not related to each other (FPS is a software part, refresh rate is only related to the display).

Are you aware that when you watch 24fps content on modern TV, frames are doubled, tripled, quadrupled, etc... to match the TV's refresh rate?? Watching 24fps on a TV that has a 48hz refresh rate, means every frame is doubled. At 72hz, every frame is tripled. At 96hz, every frame is quadrupled. At 120hz every frame is shown 5 times. And so on.

24fps shown at 60hz goes through a process called 3:2 pulldown. Google it if you need to.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, what?
Again, how is related refresh rate to the fps?

Edit 1. You can even watch 120fps on 30Hz display. It will not be fine for the eyes and brain, but overall you will realize that the movie has higher fps.

Computer monitors and commercial TV are different. You need to specify between the two. Most people watch movies on TV.

I dont think commercial TV accept a 120fps signal. And if they do, there's a very good chance the frames would be cut in half and viewed at 60hz.

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Ok guys, I'm confused here. Are pureview branded lumias(1520, icon/930) getting native support for 4k video recording with denim? Because I thought the feature was only available in moment capture mode where when you have to take a spontaneous shot, you instead film a short 4k video instead and later extract 8mp images out of it. That's MS's answer to verge reviewers who used to bash Nokia's imaging capabilities because they couldn't capture their kid's spontaneous moments. Lol.

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Computer monitors and commercial TV are different. You need to specify between the two. Most people watch movies on TV.

I dont think commercial TV accept a 120fps signal. And if they do, there's a very good chance the frames would be cut in half and viewed at 60hz.

Ok, now that makes more sense, I didn't think TVs are so much different to monitors.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster