Nokia Camera and Lumia Panorama cooking my phone up

wp8hereicome

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Earlier today I started noticing whenever I opened the Nokia Camera and Lumia Panorama apps there is a hissing sound from the speaker (the same sound you hear if you open whatsapp, this is a known issue even back in the days of 8.1 DP). I can somewhat understand the hissing sound if someone is to say it is from the OIS but then why would opening whatsapp have the same sound? Then the camera module area of my 1520 starts to heat up like crazy and spread outwards. Then my battery saver showed an insane amount of battery drain from these apps. Have anyone else experienced this issue?

Should I try to a hard reset and hope the problem goes away? I am about to take a trip and would want to try to do mobile photography all the way. I never noticed these symptoms before. Thanks!

novaprime9

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm so glad to find this post. I just noticed this problem last night on my 928 with the very same app... Nokia Camera Beta. I thought something was wrong with my phone, and found that a few other apps and games cause it. The two that come to mind right now are both games: Angry Birds, and Hungry Shark Evolution.

I figured it must be graphic-intensive programs, then. But then I launched Pro Shot, Camera 360, Fhotoroom, and a few others. No hissing.

Is there a way to move this thread to the general 8.1 discussion? Think I should start a new one? I'm really curious to see if this is something more widespread. I was very worried about my phone!

wp8hereicome

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Did you feel the phone heating up like mine? My phone heats up for those apps and they heat up rapidly and then proceed to suck my battery dry. I am up for moving the thread to anywhere in the forum as long as we have some meaningful discussions and hopefully a solution.

novaprime9

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure how to go about getting a thread moved. Hopefully someone else can chime in...

To answer your question, my 928 does get hot while playing those games I mentioned, but I don't notice anything while using the camera. I just tried, and only had it running for a minute or maybe a little more. Does it take longer than that?

Here's the real kicker- I thought it was a mechanical sound. Like, perhaps, the OIC you mention. But try this: launch Nokia Camera, and then once you hear the sound, hit your volume keys. Click the pull-down and MUTE the one for Media & Apps. For me, at least, the sound goes away. Even more bizarre... making the volume louder does not increase the sound I'm hearing. I can mute it, but I can't alter the volume.

wp8hereicome

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The latest version of Lumia Panorama heats up the phone like a heat gun sticking to your face. Nokia Camera heats up much slower. I did a testing and left the Nokia Camera on for like 10 minutes then the phone got quite warm (wouldn't say it is burning hot). But the phone getting a little heat is understandable since the OIS is at work and the screen is on constantly and stuff like that but would not be alright if it is on broil.

I tried the volume trick you mentioned and while the hissing did not eliminate itself, it did get a little lower in volume.

This is overall quite weird. Never had these issues before Cyan.

novaprime9

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Yes, you said as much. But what version of the OS? 8, or 8.1?

Not that it probably matters much, but at least we can try to find some common threads here.

BTW I fired up What's App and it doesn't hiss at me. Odd. Are you sure that was the app that did that for you?

I'll download Panorama when I get home. I had it but was never happy with the results, and had switched to Photosynth. ;)

wp8hereicome

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I am on 8.1 as it is part of Cyan :/ I have tested whatsapp many many times and it was the only app that hiss the speaker, until the recent lumia panorama and nokia camera updates. I am still trying to play around with photosynth it does not seem to capture well for me. But that's another topic I can PM you about.

wp8hereicome

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Nokia Camera was last updated in the store on July 14, 2014 and Lumia Panorama just got updated very recently. Are there any reasons to believed they are not updated for 8.1?

I sure hope you are right though, colinkiama.

novaprime9

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I guess that could be the case. It's as if some of these apps are accessing the speaker (or OIS, if that's what's making the noise) for no reason.

I still have a hard time believing it's the OIS though, because I can mute mine. And, because of my camera apps, only the Lumia Camera one makes the sound. The built-in does not, nor does ProShot.

Oh btw, I did download the Panorama app, and it does indeed hiss.

​:\

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett