920 + Cyan - Watching YouTube killed the phone

NutmegState

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
I have a Lumia 920. The Cyan update worked fine.

All I did was go to a website I frequent. They had posted a YouTube video on the webpage for a news event that happened today. I clicked on the video and it started to play. About 80% through the video, the video went dark, so I decided to hit the back button to get out of the page. Nothing happened, click the start button, nothing, search button nothing. Then the video screen became all noisy like if you turned on your TV and your cable is not working and you had no signal.

I next tried to hold down the power button with a long press hoping I could turn off the phone. That did not work.

Next I tried the volume down and power button for 10 second, it looked to have worked, the Nokia logo appeared, then the screen went dark and ........... nothing!!!! Nothing I could do would power the phone back.

After cursing a storm and ready to throw the phone at the wall. The dog who had better sense than me started barking at me with a WTF! type of tude. I then calmed down, plugged the phone into the charger and walked away for about 6hrs or so. When I went back to the phone, the back of the phone was HOT! I unplugged the phone and left it on the window sill until it was cool.

I then took a deep breath. I did a long press to power on the phone. I feel the vibration and hear the startup rumble, then I see the nokia logo and finally the Windows Logo -- phew!!!!!! It is working again. However, the battery is only half charged according to the indicator.

Not sure if the youtube video was able to completely drain the phone until it had stopped or what. It is the weirdest thing I have ever seen so far with the 920

Anyway, just posting to let others know in case they experience a similar issue

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs