Got 8.1 on T-Mobile, how?

dacarter77

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
When I switched my 920 from ATT to T-Mobile a few months ago, I figured I would not see any updates since T-Mobile never sold the 920. Today I got the Cyan update, followed by the 8.1 update. I'm very happy about it, but don't understand why I was able to get it. My daughter got the update today as well on her 920. It will be interesting to see if my son gets it on his 925 which is a T-mobile phone.

The update did have a blue screen saying Process1 failed to initiate, but I soft rebooted, then the gears started turning and it all ended well. My observations so far is that Cortana doesn't speak to me at all, and many text messages are not sending. I'll wait for all the app updates to complete, then reboot, and hopefully everything will work.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
If it came from AT&T, then T-Mobile has no control over when it gets updated. It depends on when AT&T pushes it because its still their phone, you're just using it on T-Mobile. Your son will get it when T-Mobile pushes it because that 925 is their phone. It depends on the firmware, not the carrier.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
ATT pushed out the Cyan update on L920 an hence you got it even though the phone is unlocked and you are using it on TMO it is still an ATT device and ergo the update. Your son has the TMO L925 and he will have to wait till TMO pushes out the Cyan update for it. The delay is due to Wi-Fi calling on TMO 925.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
The update is based on the ROM version. It makes no difference who's service you're using or your location or the language or region settings. Only the ROM version matters. I have an AT&T 920 that is not active, meaning I don't have a SIM card in it. It got Cyan.

dacarter77

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
That is very good news. I didn't know it worked that way.

I see now, that I have to do the Foreign SIM card trick to get group txts. and picture texts working again. Something about the update has undone that fix.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss