1520 or 1020

L Beezy

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I just bought the green 1520 from AT&T and I would say get it for the support from Microsoft and the amazing screen. The only downfall with the AT&T model is no Qi wireless charging. My 920-and the charging plate-was given to my dad as an upgrade to his 520. If I had the cash to get the 1520.3, I would have definitely forked it over.

lesd777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Re: 1520 it 1020

Might check Newegg, I know they carry the 1520.3. I just did my 1020 and picked up the 1520 and the battery life and the overall speed is noticable. 1020 battery was horrible for me.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Is there anything special I'm going to have to do to make an unlocked 1520.3 work on T-mobile USA?

Nope, just get a nanoSIM if you do not have one already.

While you are upgrading, ask about "Advanced SIM" or (the name may be changing) "Isis SIM" so you can enable Tap to Pay.

There are no special hoops to jump through to get data, LTE, SMS or MMS... It all just works when you plug in an activated T-MoUS SIM.

jagdeep chohan

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
Re: 1520 it 1020

Anybody here please help me. Battery saver on Lumia 1020 does not dims screen brightness anymore, neither does it put capacative buttons light off. What to do??

parsaion

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
Nope, just get a nanoSIM if you do not have one already.

While you are upgrading, ask about "Advanced SIM" or (the name may be changing) "Isis SIM" so you can enable Tap to Pay.

There are no special hoops to jump through to get data, LTE, SMS or MMS... It all just works when you plug in an activated T-MoUS SIM.

Good to know, thanks! I'm glad it'll be so easy!
-James

parsaion

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
Thanks everyone: Now this one is semi un-related. My one hesitation from moving to the windows phone is that as an audio professional, everything else I have is mac. I don't sync a whole lot between devices so its almost a non issue, except there is this excellent project / task manager software for OSX called Omnifocus that syncs in the desktop and to ios devices. Anyone know of any good project / task management solutions on WP?

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
If size is not an issue then get the 1520 or 1520.3 if your in the US (if your on AT&T or T Mobile). The 1020 is a decent buy 2nd hand as you can get it fairly cheap on ebay (last I checked it was going for ?130 to ?180) if your looking at upgrading from a low end WP.

However if your not willing to go down the second hand route and a 6 inch phone is a problem, your other options are to get the 930 / Icon or the M8 / wait for the global launch of the HTC M8 if your not in the US.

parsaion

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
If size is not an issue then get the 1520 or 1520.3 if your in the US (if your on AT&T or T Mobile). The 1020 is a decent buy 2nd hand as you can get it fairly cheap on ebay (last I checked it was going for ?130 to ?180) if your looking at upgrading from a low end WP.

However if your not willing to go down the second hand route and a 6 inch phone is a problem, your other options are to get the 930 / Icon or the M8 / wait for the global launch of the HTC M8 if your not in the US.

Thanks! 6" is not my ideal phone size, without ever actually using one. You guys with 1520s, do you just stick it up to your ear when talking on it, or do you always use some sort of bluetooth device when using it as a phone?

Donny James

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
If haveing a great camera is what you really want deep down inside then wait for the 1025/1030 or whatever the successor to the 1020 will be called. Else you may end up with phone envy once it launches.

parsaion

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
If haveing a great camera is what you really want deep down inside then wait for the 1025/1030 or whatever the successor to the 1020 will be called. Else you may end up with phone envy once it launches.

Great thought. One reason not to wait is to help increase WP users, invest in the ecosystem to allow them to continue to produce better devices? I know it's silly for me to think my device purchase would help sway anything.

Donny James

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Great thought. One reason not to wait is to help increase WP users, invest in the ecosystem to allow them to continue to produce better devices? I know it's silly for me to think my device purchase would help sway anything.

If Windows Phone is going to become anything great its going to have to happen because Microsoft earned it the hard way. Android caught a break cause everyone was looking for an alternative to iPhone but WP has no such luck so MS will have to roll up their sleeves and work for it.

But back to the original post, the reason i said that is I too was in a similar situation and I couldn't make up my mind. I realized the reason I couldn't make up my mind was that I was not signalling out what it feature I really wanted and couldn't live without. I really want the 1020 for its camera but the hardware is too dated. And if shelled out the cash for the 1020 and the 1025/1030 launches later this years or early next year, I would be pissed....so pissed.

If the 1025/1030 had these specs I would be sold and I would look at another phone for a long time. I'm tired on phone envy. Note these are just my personal preferences, not that it should be like this. So please, nobody get upset about anything here. But MS needs to make the successor more future proof.

5-inch with glane screen support, 3GB Ram, 32GB Storage, MSD slot up to 128GB, Snapdragon 810 (Octo core ) 55Mp main camera, 5Mp front camera, hardware camera button, NFC, Laser Focus (Or Super fast focusing), Super small bezel, Interchangeable battery, wireless charging built in, released on all carriers!

parsaion

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
If Windows Phone is going to become anything great its going to have to happen because Microsoft earned it the hard way. Android caught a break cause everyone was looking for an alternative to iPhone but WP has no such luck so MS will have to roll up their sleeves and work for it.

But back to the original post, the reason i said that is I too was in a similar situation and I couldn't make up my mind. I realized the reason I couldn't make up my mind was that I was not signalling out what it feature I really wanted and couldn't live without. I really want the 1020 for its camera but the hardware is too dated. And if shelled out the cash for the 1020 and the 1025/1030 launches later this years or early next year, I would be pissed....so pissed.

If the 1025/1030 had these specs I would be sold and I would look at another phone for a long time. I'm tired on phone envy. Note these are just my personal preferences, not that it should be like this. So please, nobody get upset about anything here. But MS needs to make the successor more future proof.

5-inch with glane screen support, 3GB Ram, 32GB Storage, MSD slot up to 128GB, Snapdragon 810 (Octo core ) 55Mp main camera, 5Mp front camera, hardware camera button, NFC, Laser Focus (Or Super fast focusing), Super small bezel, Interchangeable battery, wireless charging built in, released on all carriers!

I'd pay a pretty decent premium for that! With the new iPhones going to cost about the same as their laptops, it would make total sense to have a pocketable great camera that also functioned as a good phone with windows os.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks! 6" is not my ideal phone size, without ever actually using one. You guys with 1520s, do you just stick it up to your ear when talking on it, or do you always use some sort of bluetooth device when using it as a phone?

It's not that big a deal holding it up to my ear but I usually use bluetooth because its hard to hold a phone while drinking coffee and shifting gears.

o0Nighthawk0o

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I have a 1520 and my wife and son have the 1020. Both are very good phones for everyday use. I do prefer my 1520 over the 1020 because of the size.

I do hold it up to my ear to talk on. While it did feel strange at first I quickly got used to it and I don't notice now. The battery life is great especially when compared to my old 920 and will outlast my wife's 1020. Another big plus I found with the size is when I use it as a GPS navigator. The screen is easy to see when in a windshield mount. I think the 1520 is the better phone but my wife may argue that. :wink:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss