How on earth do people get 2-4 days of battery?

Rawliglat x

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
I hear people say they get 4 days with low use and 2 on high intensity. Soon as I disconnect my phone from charger with 100% of charge, all I see is 1 days and 15 hours and I have all apps closed and brightness set to automatic (low) and I dont even consider my self much of a high user, mainly getting used to the OS and reading books. I went to bath today with music playing, and when I was done, I was down 2%.
So how do you do it?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
re:

2 things to check right off the bat. First, see if NFC is on and second, check for apps allowed to run in the background. In settings, go to battery saver and swipe right to check your list of apps that are running. Select what you consider to be important enough to continue running in the background. Personally, I only have music selected. I'm heavy-handed with docs and constantly shuffling files in and out of OneDrive and my battery can last 2 days (barely) since I made these simple changes. I'm sure there's more tips but I'll leave that to our more experienced members.

Rawliglat x

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
re:

I have NFC turned off, and only about 3 apps are let run in the background. What exactly is the significance of letting an app run in the background?
wp_ss_20140907_0004.jpgwp_ss_20140907_0006.jpgwp_ss_20140907_0005.jpgwp_ss_20140907_0003.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Well... Theirs your answer... Letting 33 apps run in the back ground is a major battery killer. Turn them all off apart from the ones you rely on such as facebook and such.

L Beezy

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
re:

I have NFC turned off, and only about 33 apps are let run in the background. What exactly is the significance of letting an app run in the background?[

It actually depends on the app when it comes it running in the background. Some use background tasks to control things like live tile updates, GPS, app alerts. I noticed that when I decided to cut off some apps running the background.

It's a tradeoff--more apps running in the background means more battery usage; the opposite is true as well. I like to use my phone as a media device as well as a phone, so I expect my battery life not to be 2-4 days. I just purchased a 1520 yesterday and coming from a 920, I gotta see how it goes with the battery life

Rawliglat x

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
re:

Well... Theirs your answer... Letting 33 apps run in the back ground is a major battery killer. Turn them all off apart from the ones you rely on such as facebook and such.
It's a tradeoff--more apps running in the background means more battery usage; the opposite is true as well.
Sorry, that was an error. I meant to write 3 apps. Will edit the post now. But even with 3 its doesn't last.
And what is the significance of background apps? How many apps run in the background for you? How long does your battery last?

L Beezy

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
re:

I had around 15 apps running in the background and with the L920 on WP8.1 DP, I would get around 14-16 hours with medium usage. I've practically bombarded my 1520 today with app installs, configuring my home screen (what a pain btw), and adding custom ringtones and text messages to almost all my contacts, running around 18 apps running in the background AND my battery is pretty solid right now. Hope this is how it's like with "The Hulk!"

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
re:

Skype is your number 1 battery killer. It will also eat your data like no one's business if you're logged in. If you don't use it, turn it off.

Sent from my P6095 using Tapatalk

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
re:

It's a combination of things. Apps running in background, sync settings for email, WiFi usage and every day usage. I get almost two days outta my 822.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
re:

I cut all my apps down to a minimum. I only let facebook on...whatsapp is off as it doesn't work anyway...i keep Cortana on and Skype off....all other programmes are off. I get a good day if I use my phone just to call texts and check the odd email and facebook. Don't play much games but when I do its for hours before I need to recharge.... Oooo... Am on a 1520 by the way. I have NFC in all the time and it doesn't seem to affect anything. Make sure Bluetooth is off and I turn wifi off when I leave home. All makes a difference

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
re:

If I stop background app and change sync settings, how does it affect the apps?
Well, think about it. Do you really need your email app to be syncing and checking for new emails every minute? I find that unnecessary. I set mine to sync once every hour. If you really need to get an email you're waiting on, you can manually sync. If you keep apps such as a weather app from running in the background, it means that the Live Tile won't update probably till you open it. The WIFI argument is a tough one. Some people say that keeping it on when you're connected to a network, for instance when you're home, will actually increase your battery life. The downside would be, you leave your house and forget to turn it off. Now your phone is searching for available WIFI and thus wasting battery doing that!

ronaldme

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
re:

I never understood that too. How on earth user claim that they got superb battery life.

On average basis I daily charge my phone 3 times a day.
I do browsing & 2hrs is enough to make 100% to 0%.
I do little gaming too. Which drains battery even faster.

2hrs of browsing, with the screen on all the time will drain any battery, even the 1520 battery.

jbfoster61

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
re:

My normal usage is 4 to 8 short calls, checking emails several times an hour and texting. When I go to bed I will have about 70% battery left. One Saturday I unplugged my phone around 8 am and never touched the phone then at 11:00 pm it was at 96%.

Jim

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte