How on earth do people get 2-4 days of battery?

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
If I have to do all that I might as well have a feature phone. Smartphones historically have low battery life. It's easier to charge it every night than to cripple every feature for the sake of 2 days of battery life.

Yes many of us are lazy not to do all that, which results in reduction of battery life. Also never charge your phone fully(100%) because if frequently your phone is extra charged even for 30 minutes, then it reduces your battery, its capacity is decreased which might lead to battery problems even further. Charging your phone around 80-90% is sufficient

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
re:

Yes many of us are lazy not to do all that, which results in reduction of battery life. Also never charge your phone fully(100%) because if frequently your phone is extra charged even for 30 minutes, then it reduces your battery, its capacity is decreased which might lead to battery problems even further. Charging your phone around 80-90% is sufficient

I thought I read they stopped charging automatically when it was full. Maybe I didn't... Or maybe that was wrong... There's so much back and forth about battery charging.

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
re:

I thought I read they stopped charging automatically when it was full. Maybe I didn't... Or maybe that was wrong... There's so much back and forth about battery charging.

That's true, but extra charging i.e after 100% charging, your phone doesn't need anymore charge, still you are giving it which is undesirable. If you do that frequently after some time you will need to replace your battery (might be due to any reason). That's true for all the phones. The worst case scenario is charging your phone overnight, never do that. I have some older phones, older than 2 years still don't have any problems with the battery

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
re:

That's true, but extra charging i.e after 100% charging, your phone doesn't need anymore charge, still you are giving it which is undesirable. If you do that frequently after some time you will need to replace your battery (might be due to any reason). That's true for all the phones. The worst case scenario is charging your phone overnight, never do that. I have some older phones, older than 2 years still don't have any problems with the battery

Sorry, but you are incorrect. You're talking about old battery technology.

Majority of the issues with WP is it's inability to manage background tasks correctly and it's uncanny ability to overheat immensely. Heat is your battery's worst enemy. Your device getting too hot will kill your battery quicker than anything.

I've had a crap battery from day one. I did everything and it still sucked. It sucks even if I shut everything off in the background and all the services. I thought I had some improvements but now my phone suffers with the overheating issue again so my battery drains like mad just from a small web search.

Battery tech has a long way to go with our current gen of batteries however I know many people with Android phones getting amazing battery life so I sort of wonder what's going on with WP.

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
re:

Sorry, but you are incorrect. You're talking about old battery technology.

Majority of the issues with WP is it's inability to manage background tasks correctly and it's uncanny ability to overheat immensely. Heat is your battery's worst enemy. Your device getting too hot will kill your battery quicker than anything.

I've had a crap battery from day one. I did everything and it still sucked. It sucks even if I shut everything off in the background and all the services. I thought I had some improvements but now my phone suffers with the overheating issue again so my battery drains like mad just from a small web search.

Battery tech has a long way to go with our current gen of batteries however I know many people with Android phones getting amazing battery life so I sort of wonder what's going on with WP.

Previous batteries were of lithium & still we have lithium batteries. Only thing which has increased is more capacity. Lithium batteries wear out after a long usage. They wear out or get damaged soon due to over charging, that's what I've read on most of the sites. If lithium batteries are replaced by some other batteries, this problem may not occur, but still there's a long way for that kind of tech to come. Also if you are having battery problems from the start, I might just say your phone has a problem, go to customer care centre if they can sort it out. WPs batteries lasts longer than Androids that's for sure(in most of the cases)

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
re:

Previous batteries were of lithium & still we have lithium batteries. Only thing which has increased is more capacity. Lithium batteries wear out after a long usage. They wear out or get damaged soon due to over charging, that's what I've read on most of the sites. If lithium batteries are replaced by some other batteries, this problem may not occur, but still there's a long way for that kind of tech to come. Also if you are having battery problems from the start, I might just say your phone has a problem, go to customer care centre if they can sort it out. WPs batteries lasts longer than Androids that's for sure(in most of the cases)

First, I've read a lot on batteries and I'm not going to go into details about it as it takes too long to explain everything. With the current form of batteries you have safety circuits as part of the design of the battery charging system. You cannot over charge a battery and you cannot fully discharge it either as in both cases it would severely damage the battery.

Two biggest factors for poor battery performance when it comes to Lithium-ion batteries is temperature and age. Batteries degrade overtime. like all rechargeable batteries there is cyclic life span but that is not the only factor.

Lastly I own a L920. I don't think I have to say more about how bad my battery is. It's been a known thing for a very long time how poor the battery performance on the L920 has been. I sit next to a person with a Samsung S5, they can go all day without charging their battery. I can barely make it over 8 hours on lite usage. Androids are not as bad as many people make them out to be. They've done well with the newer flagship phones.

I'm curious to see what the larger iPhone 6 has in the way of battery life.

Last edited:

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
re:

Realistic battery saving tips that doesn't cripple your smartphone.

* Turn off background tasks on everything except apps with live tiles on your start screen. If you don't need updated information on your start scree, you can wait a new seconds on app start up.
* Turn off glance. Glance makes you look at your phone every few minutes (it's just human nature). If you really want to be alerted about something, set up a notification toast. Use double-tap to wake your phone for a short period so you can see notification icons at a glance. Use the action centre to see if those notifications are worth unlocking the phone to view.
* Turn off NFC and Bluetooth. Only turn them on when you need them
* Set screen brightness at "medium" Don't use "high", don't use "set automatically"

These are the key ones that I use, and I easily get three days use.

The other key factor is appropriate usage. Every time that screen lights up, you're using power - if you can be disciplined enough with yourself not to be using your phone every few minutes, the battery will last a whole lot longer.

Sandeep Upadhyaya

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
re:

Download the "battery" app and then read tips about battery life. Change your theme to dark, enable battery saver, and use wifi for browsing.
this all combined not gave you battery life more than 2 days IMO...
5 days battery life is a myth for smartphones these days if you use them as smart phone.. ;)

Pete The Penguin

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site

Pete The Penguin

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
re:

Thats actually true on AMOLED screens, on LCD not so. For example LCD is of course in the 1520, 920 and 1020.

Backround tasks update the live tiles, so if you turn them off for an app, it will only have a "tile", not a live tile.

Background tasks affects the notifications for some apps too, like Skype.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
re:

A day? Are you talking about a chronological day of 24 hrs or a work day of 8-10 hrs?

Well I'm awake a lot longer than most people so say 12 hours would be nice. I have the issue that if I so much as use HERE Maps my battery drops 5% in less than 2 minutes. I've also encountered massive drain while using the Nokia (soon to be Lumia) camera app.

Pete The Penguin

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
re:

I use a charger that monitors how the battery is charged, once it's at 95% the power is cut.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
re:

It's not about my battery, it's about making sure I'm not leaving chargers on. I doubt I'll ever use a 'dumb' charger nowadays as I like the peace of mind.

So your charger shuts off at 95% but it's still plugged in? You're relying on a automated switch to turn off the power? I always go with the least points of failure thinking. I unplug something or I throw the switch to turn something off. That way I know it's off. I'm not against automation by any means but I am always cautious about home automation as it's not a very high level of standard as industrial automation.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb