How on earth do people get 2-4 days of battery?

LTTG

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
re:

People who claim that they get 2-4 days of battery life probably use their phones once in a blue moon... That's my only explanation, because I can barely get 10 hours even if I use my phone at its slightest...

corey_blackstock

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
re:

First, I've read a lot on batteries and I'm not going to go into details about it as it takes too long to explain everything. With the current form of batteries you have safety circuits as part of the design of the battery charging system. You cannot over charge a battery and you cannot fully discharge it either as in both cases it would severely damage the battery.

Two biggest factors for poor battery performance when it comes to Lithium-ion batteries is temperature and age. Batteries degrade overtime. like all rechargeable batteries there is cyclic life span but that is not the only factor.

Lastly I own a L920. I don't think I have to say more about how bad my battery is. It's been a known thing for a very long time how poor the battery performance on the L920 has been. I sit next to a person with a Samsung S5, they can go all day without charging their battery. I can barely make it over 8 hours on lite usage. Androids are not as bad as many people make them out to be. They've done well with the newer flagship phones.

I'm curious to see what the larger iPhone 6 has in the way of battery life.

Agreed about the poor battery life of L920.. But it's invalid to compare it to Galaxy S5 which packed with bigger battery capacity and more efficient processor (Snapdragon 801). My 1520 can easily outlast my friend's S5 in daily usage.

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
re:

People who claim that they get 2-4 days of battery life probably use their phones once in a blue moon... That's my only explanation, because I can barely get 10 hours even if I use my phone at its slightest...

That's too bad, I get 2 days of battery on my 1320 with slightest usage

Rawliglat x

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
re:

I would like to disagree with you on that.
As the OP, I am glad to say I took a few advices on here and after a while, my battery has finally adjusted. With automated screen brightness, NFC turned on, wifi-turned on (lots of searching for network), a couple apps running in the background, a couple of apps on the home screen, white (bright) theme and also running the lock screen app; below are my new results.

I would ask you to ignore the "time since last charge" as it was recorded when I was trying to transfer files to my phone not actually charging my phone. My actual last charge was over 9 hours prior, but for most of that time, I was asleep and the phone wasn't in use.

Also I should state the rapid battery difference between both pictures is due to the fact I was doing a lot of gaming and music during that time interval (9:45am - 2:22pm).wp_ss_20140908_0001.jpgwp_ss_20140908_0002.jpg

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
re:

You have a 720, I'm not sure how you can really compare battery usage with a 1520 (subject of this thread). Not all handsets have the same battery or power consumption.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
re:

Agreed about the poor battery life of L920.. But it's invalid to compare it to Galaxy S5 which packed with bigger battery capacity and more efficient processor (Snapdragon 801). My 1520 can easily outlast my friend's S5 in daily usage.

I guess it depends on usage. However, battery life has been a big issue for a lot of people on WP. Even with the L930.

I'm not entirely convinced that whatever issues WP OS has with battery drain has been rectified 100%.

rpac78

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
re:

I hear people say they get 4 days with low use and 2 on high intensity. Soon as I disconnect my phone from charger with 100% of charge, all I see is 1 days and 15 hours and I have all apps closed and brightness set to automatic (low) and I dont even consider my self much of a high user, mainly getting used to the OS and reading books. I went to bath today with music playing, and when I was done, I was down 2%.
So how do you do it?

I was in a same place like you and wanted to increase my phone's battery life (right now I only get 21 hours and 50 minutes use). But then as I read about what other's did in order to get those 3-4 day lifespan and I realized that it basically means not using my phone the way I want. So what I do is I have a charger at work and in the car just in case I need to top of my phone. There doesn't seem to be any problem with a bit of charging here and there.

Long story short, you can chase these long battery lifespan for the 1520 or you can just enjoy the phone and use it as you want.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
re:

Try these things to save battery
1. Turn on battery saver mode
2. Check emails manually
3. Use a dark theme
4. Turn off the live tile updates which you are not using
5. Keep location off(turn on only when you need it). Also keep in mind that your phone won't update unless location is on, so do keep location on while updating your phone
6. If you don't use 3g, then keep your phone in 2g mode. Go to settings > mobile + sim > highest connection speed > 2g
7. Lower the brightness & keep automatically adjust on
8. Lower the lock screen time out
9. Turn off vibrations, banners of the apps from the notification centre
10. Keep wifi off, turn on when you need it
11. Turn off the windows keys vibration
12. Turn off glance if not required
13. Disable the keypad sounds, camera sounds if not required
14. If you are a gamer, using Wi-Fi, not expecting any calls then use flight mode
15. Turn off the background tasks of apps, if possible
16. Keep sunlight readability off & battery saver brightness on

I have 1320, If I play games the whole day, I'll have to charge my phone twice a day, otherwise surely it will last for 3 days without charge or even more

Save yourself the trouble. Get a flip phone. All these steps will basically turn your smart phone into a flip phone or what is called a "feature" phone by some. Why bother?

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
re:

Using Battery Monitoring tools (aside from built in Battery Saver) i find hurt my battery more than it helped. Sure its nice to see the "avg" discharge time, but after 2 years of going crazy over each % change on a daily basis...i gave up, hard reset my device and did not install ANY battery monitoring apps. On my 1020, it varies...the WP OS is wonky at times, but i can get easily 1 day on my 1020, this includes Cortana, Wifi on all day, background apps running like facebook, instagram, twitter, weather flow, location services on, etc. Tip, dont allow IE to run in background.

I do believe there is some break-in period, or a knowledge period of the hardware learning about the OS, before things settle down and become more 'stable'.

Get rid of your battery monitoring app (from the store) and stop worrying about the battery, the sooner you do this and enjoy the device, the more you will ENJOY your device and stop going nuts over daily consumption that most likely cant be "controlled", as much as people believe its 'possible'. WP OS is still a work in progress, processes get hung...although its running much better on 8.1 than 8.

Rawliglat x

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
re:

Originally Posted by psoham777
Try these things to save battery
1. Turn on battery saver mode
2. Check emails manually
3. Use a dark theme
4. Turn off the live tile updates which you are not using
5. Keep location off(turn on only when you need it). Also keep in mind that your phone won't update unless location is on, so do keep location on while updating your phone
6. If you don't use 3g, then keep your phone in 2g mode. Go to settings > mobile + sim > highest connection speed > 2g
7. Lower the brightness & keep automatically adjust on
8. Lower the lock screen time out
9. Turn off vibrations, banners of the apps from the notification centre
10. Keep wifi off, turn on when you need it
11. Turn off the windows keys vibration
12. Turn off glance if not required
13. Disable the keypad sounds, camera sounds if not required
14. If you are a gamer, using Wi-Fi, not expecting any calls then use flight mode
15. Turn off the background tasks of apps, if possible
16. Keep sunlight readability off & battery saver brightness on

I have 1320, If I play games the whole day, I'll have to charge my phone twice a day, otherwise surely it will last for 3 days without charge or even more
Save yourself the trouble. Get a flip phone. All these steps will basically turn your smart phone into a flip phone or what is called a "feature" phone by some. Why bother?
I totally agree with you. Thats just basically saying turn off every reason you bought the smartphone. Whats the point of having a smartphone and then dumbing it down?
I'd rather have a poor battery.

Pete The Penguin

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
re:

So your charger shuts off at 95% but it's still plugged in? You're relying on a automated switch to turn off the power? I always go with the least points of failure thinking. I unplug something or I throw the switch to turn something off. That way I know it's off. I'm not against automation by any means but I am always cautious about home automation as it's not a very high level of standard as industrial automation.

Hasn't failed me yet.
Also, if I leave my phone plugged in and it drops to 30% it'll start charging. Very handy for overnight or weekend charging.

Pete The Penguin

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I totally agree with you. Thats just basically saying turn off every reason you bought the smartphone. Whats the point of having a smartphone and then dumbing it down?

Same here. The only time I turn off background services is when I'm not running an apps Live Tile.

Last edited:

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
re:

Nobody will do all that stuff, NOBODY, I just gave some tips. You could try some of them if it could help you save the battery, or else stop complaining

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
re:

I have everything turned on and can easily get 2 days with considerable use. I've gone up to 4 but with a new girlfriend I get about 2 days now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa