09-17-2014 07:42 PM
65 123
tools
    No way in India this Lumia 830 has to compete with galaxy grand 2 which people here loves features offered by Samsung.Though these features are gimmicks still people buy.And if we take price of Lumia 830 its price is 26000 Rs for which I can get nexus 5 by paying 1000 more nd it has all latest apps.one more thing if camera is one point people buy smartphones wp would have easily stolen the whole indian market.no camera is not an important aspect of smartphone people want the latest games and apps also utility apps.
    From Windows phone
    09-08-2014 02:37 AM
    For those of you who do not think that 830 is over priced, I would say that real comparison should be with Nexus 5. In terms of street price, it is roughly the same as 830. What 830 has better? only rear camera (though the sensor size is smaller than Nexus 5)
    What Nexus has better: A much superior Processor, double the RAM, same screen size but with more than 50% higher pixel density. A slightly bigger battery that provides a significantly higher back-up, a better front camera and most importantly a much bigger market share and Android OS. There is hardly any other market which is as price sensitive as the Indian market. It is flooded with Android models with octacore processors, 2GB ram etc. for less the 15,000 INR (~$250). I am not saying Nokia belongs in that category. However, to win market shares the price points should be much lower for these specs.
    I absolutely love the windows platform, but why does MS forget that it has to play catch-up? It is not a leader and people are not standing overnight in long queues to lap up new models. In terms of specs it should have been the other way round: much higher specs on a Lumia than Android phones available at that price point.
    As for comparison with iPhones, they still demand a lot of snob value. People are crazy and it still is a style and status quotient particularly in India. MS has not and WILL NOT gain market share till the time it gets its pricing right
    Last edited by hemanlive; 09-08-2014 at 03:30 AM.
    09-08-2014 03:11 AM
    I saw in an advert in the paper today - Sammy has given the Note 3 a massive price drop here in India and is available for ~₹25,000 (approx $420) - I guess it's because of impending Note 4 launch. The 830 sure has it's work cut out for it.
    09-08-2014 03:24 AM
    For those of you who do not think that 830 is over priced, I would say that real comparison should be with Nexus 5. In terms of street price, it is roughly the same as 830. What 830 has better? only rear camera (though the sensor size is smaller than Nexus 5)
    What Nexus has better: A much superior Processor, double the RAM, same screen size but with more than 50% higher pixel density. A slightly bigger battery that provides a significantly higher back-up, a better front camera and most importantly a much bigger market share and Android OS. There is hardly any other market which is as price sensitive as the Indian market. It is flooded with Android models with octacore processors, 2GB ram etc. for less the 15,000 INR (~$250). I am not saying Nokia belongs in that category. However, to win market shares the price points should be much lower for these specs.
    I absolutely love the windows platform, but why does MS forget that it has to play catch-up? It is not a leader and people are not standing overnight in long queues to lap up new models. In terms of specs it should have been the other way round: much higher specs on a Lumia than Android phones available at that price point.
    As for comparison with iPhones, they still demand a lot of snob value. People are crazy and it still is a style *** status quotient particularly in India. MS has not and WILL NOT gain market share till the time it gets its pricing right

Ya you are right it will fail in India just like Lumia 820 which was priced 28000 ₹ in 2012 but later dropped drastically.still people didn't buy it.lumia 830 is for wp fanboys not for general public.heck Lumia 730 will eat the sales of Lumia 830.so ms better release Lumia 730 lately or else Lumia 830 will not sell.
    09-08-2014 03:24 AM
    I saw in an advert in the paper today - Sammy has given the Note 3 a massive price drop here in India and is available for ~₹25,000 (approx $420) - I guess it's because of impending Note 4 launch. The 830 sure has it's work cut out for it.

I think it could be note 3 neo not note 3 .if what u say I true then note 3 will sell like hot cakes.lumia 830 already a looser will be a disaster.
    09-08-2014 03:26 AM
    Hey no goblin it is note 2 price.note 3 is 33990 ₹.buy it is definitely a good buy still.
    From Windows phone
    09-08-2014 03:32 AM
    I think the other variable behind the Lumia 830's pricing is the fact that Microsoft may be trying to leave the market open for other Windows Phone OEMs. Imagine how tough it could be for Indian brands to compete if Nokia branded phones of similar or even superior specs were selling for around the same price or less.
    a5cent likes this.
    09-08-2014 03:52 AM
    And why on earth would MS want others to have the market that it can have it quite easily for itself?

Taking your argument forward, I would say that only when MS sees a HTC or a Samsung sell more windows phone than itself, will it try to lower the prices. However if that is the plan then they are letting the birds in hand go away in temptation of luring those somewhere in an imaginary bush.
    09-08-2014 03:59 AM
    And why on earth would MS want others to have the market that it can have it quite easily for itself?
    Because MS wants all of these popular brand names associated with WP.

Because MS wants WP overall to occupy more space on store shelves, and not just be two or three models in the back room.

Because they want more companies to spend money marketing WP devices.

If that doesn't convince you, also note that MS are already doing the same thing with their surface line of products.
    bilzkh likes this.
    09-08-2014 04:07 AM

Taking your argument forward, I would say that only when MS sees a HTC or a Samsung sell more windows phone than itself, will it try to lower the prices. However if that is the plan then they are letting the birds in hand go away in temptation of luring those somewhere in an imaginary bush.
    In addition to what a5cent said, they want WP to be spread far and wide by everyone, literally *anyone* claiming to be in the smartphone business. So in India that includes partners such as Micromax, XOLO and Lava, in North America it includes Blu and Yezz, in Europe there's Prestigio and so on.

Aren't these the companies pushing those insane octocore $200 3GB RAM phones? These are the guys Microsoft is hoping to attract, and it probably needs to define new product categories (e.g. "affordable high-end") with the understanding that it'll leave the best parts of the market to the locals.

A couple of months down the line there could indeed be $250-300 "affordable flagship" Windows Phone by local OEMs such as Xolo, Micromax, etc.
    09-08-2014 04:15 AM
    If that be the case goid move by Microsoft.hope other oems show interest in wp.
    09-08-2014 05:05 AM
    Lagging behind with specs on paper, yes.

Functionality and performance, no it wont.

Have you seen those mid range Android devices? They suck. Those entry level Android devices are a waste of money. Most lower end Android phones' OSes may be up to date but aroun d 80% of them wont get the next major update where on WP, 99% of WP8 Devices will get 8.1 (excluding the 8S). All of them also got Cortana while the iPhone 4 didn't even get Siri which was just one version behind of the 4S.

Crazy huh? Well Microsoft makes sure that we all get updated across the board, of course some features wouldn't available for a few devices but that's because of aging specs.

While this certain feature of Cortana wont be heading to midrange devices, they can still use Cortana. Microsoft may have not been able to give every device 4K recording, they gave a compromise for the other lower speced devices.

I believe that the 830 will perform better than its Android counterparts like the HTC One Mini, S5 Mini and other mid range Android phones.

Bottom line is: Android phones may have the better specs but WP will have the better performance and built in functionality. The 830 is solid for the price tag. Also, the 830 is the straight to the point smart phone with no gimmicks or jibber jabber included like fake waterproof, fake wireless charging, fake metal etc. (just kidding guys)
    09-08-2014 05:35 AM
    Moto G (2014) DOES NOT LAG !
    Will get UPDATES like a WP device
    has the same or BETTER HARDWARE
    is WAY CHEAPER
    Bodeanicus likes this.
    09-08-2014 05:58 AM
    But for some reason wp fans hate moto g because it looks like cheap chinese phone .
    09-08-2014 06:41 AM
    yeah, it looks but thats not the reason why MS thinks the 830 should be 200 more expensive
    09-08-2014 06:43 AM
    1. You cant compare a WP with a iPhone !

4. Sorry, not many care about the india market, its all about the US and Europa (Germany,France,Italy,Spain,UK)
    Sorry WHAT?
    09-08-2014 07:47 AM
    yeah, it looks but thats not the reason why MS thinks the 830 should be 200€ more expensive
    Then you should go and get a Moto G.
    09-08-2014 07:50 AM
    buy 1520
    09-08-2014 07:53 AM
    Lumia 830 with Lumia Camera App is cool, no more word :)
    09-08-2014 09:18 AM
    In addition to what a5cent said, they want WP to be spread far and wide by everyone, literally *anyone* claiming to be in the smartphone business. So in India that includes partners such as Micromax, XOLO and Lava, in North America it includes Blu and Yezz, in Europe there's Prestigio and so on.

Aren't these the companies pushing those insane octocore $200 3GB RAM phones? These are the guys Microsoft is hoping to attract, and it probably needs to define new product categories (e.g. "affordable high-end") with the understanding that it'll leave the best parts of the market to the locals.

A couple of months down the line there could indeed be $250-300 "affordable flagship" Windows Phone by local OEMs such as Xolo, Micromax, etc.
    if thats what ms thinks then RIP wp in India, many ppl still dont trust OEMs such micromax xolo etc, it has to be Nokia or samsung
    09-08-2014 01:28 PM
    yes, thats why the 830 is way too expensive.
    It should be around 300...not 400 !

They clearly did the price totally wrong, just look at the new moto g or the new huawei phones, the 830 has the same or worse specs (maybe the rear camera is a bit better) but is 200 more expensive....thats MS/Nokia logic.
    Err the RRP is 330 Euros before tax & subsidies, you cannot blame MS about the tax rate in your country or currency rate.. that is just moronic. Nokia is out of the equation since Nokia does not make any phones and only can after Dec 2015.

The affordable flagship: Lumia 830 - Conversations
    09-08-2014 01:30 PM
    Sure you/we can blame MS !
    Because the MotoG and the Huawei are 200 with taxes included already !
    09-08-2014 01:52 PM
    Lets see how lumia 830 will sell and decide its success or failure.
    tgp and Sergio Augusto Ferro like this.
    09-08-2014 02:33 PM
    Lets see how lumia 830 will sell and decide its success or failure.
    I was just thinking this before I read your post! It is fun to discuss though.
    09-08-2014 02:34 PM
    if thats what ms thinks then RIP wp in India, many ppl still dont trust OEMs such micromax xolo etc, it has to be Nokia or samsung
    Damned if you, damned if you don't. Welcome to Microsoft's world.
    09-08-2014 02:47 PM
65 123