09-17-2014 07:42 PM
65 123
tools
    I think Nokia could have used a Snapdragon 800 for minimal increase in cost. It is a 1 year old processor and the 801/805 are probably Intel's expensive processors right now. Even if they couldn't the Snadragon 410 which is also coming out now would have been appreciated. The fact that the 830 can't use the features that they showed off in the keynote like 4k capture or Hey Cortana is just showing that with Nokia's latest "affordable flagship" you will not get flagship features.

And the argument that Nokia's 830 provides a better "experience" than the Moto G doesn't hold. The OS is entirely subjective, in fact more people prefer Android to WP so even if they were the same price, people would choose the Moto G. Instead, you're getting the exact same hardware for 2x the price, and that won't appeal to anyone except diehard Windows fans like yourselves...
    09-08-2014 05:24 PM
    I think Nokia could have used a Snapdragon 800 for minimal increase in cost. It is a 1 year old processor and the 801/805 are probably Intel's expensive processors right now. Even if they couldn't the Snadragon 410 which is also coming out now would have been appreciated. The fact that the 830 can't use the features that they showed off in the keynote like 4k capture or Hey Cortana is just showing that with Nokia's latest "affordable flagship" you will not get flagship features.

And the argument that Nokia's 830 provides a better "experience" than the Moto G doesn't hold. The OS is entirely subjective, in fact more people prefer Android to WP so even if they were the same price, people would choose the Moto G. Instead, you're getting the exact same hardware for 2x the price, and that won't appeal to anyone except diehard Windows fans like yourselves...
    Ditto! I am starting to take my WP goggles off and exploring. I'm so tired of everything that's going on with WP. I just don't know anymore.
    Bodeanicus likes this.
    09-08-2014 05:54 PM
    I bought a Moto G LTE as a backup phone for my wonderfull 820. In the first three days I had it I got three updates and it is sitting at 4.4.4 right now. What more can you ask for in being updated. Don't get me wrong I have gotten great updates for my 820; but it does take longer to get them. I was hoping to upgrade my 820 with the new 830; but I am not sure about it now. Same processor as my Moto G and same screen resolution for alot more money. If only they had gone with even a 600 series processor I would be first on the list. Now I just don't know. Will wait an see what people say who get the phone early and decide later. For now with the 820 and Moto G LTE I am pretty covered.
    09-08-2014 09:09 PM
    This is why we'll have to see what happens once it hits stores. Most consumers that the 830 is directed at wont invest too much in the processor if the 830 provide an overall great experience. It's one of the sleekest phones with one of the best front facing cameras. Sure they loose a little in the rear facing camera, but its all about the selfies right. I've read that they may be including a year of the Nokia Music + subscription. Remember when the 920 was released an Nokia added a Qi wireless charging pad with purchase of the phone. I look for the 830 to have something similar. Too early to tell. We'll see.
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    09-08-2014 09:20 PM
    What's the point in giving a higher processor to 830? If MS gave snapdragon 600, still that 1 feature of Cortana would be missing. If it gave snapdragon 800, nobody would buy 930. All would go for 830 instead. Why would MS risk the sales of 930, for 830. I think it has a good processor, 400 is fine. Even with single or dual core processors WP doesn't lag, because its not that power hungry
    Karthik Naik and ti-ta-topf like this.
    09-08-2014 09:45 PM
    What's the point in giving a higher processor to 830? If MS gave snapdragon 600, still that 1 feature of Cortana would be missing. If it gave snapdragon 800, nobody would buy 930. All would go for 830 instead. Why would MS risk the sales of 930, for 830. I think it has a good processor, 400 is fine. Even with single or dual core processors WP doesn't lag, because its not that power hungry
    android has messed up peoples heads with "high specs-good performance,low and mid specs-low performance"
    they forget wp ,ios and BB10 run better on low hardware
    09-08-2014 10:09 PM
    android has messed up peoples heads with "high specs-good performance,low and mid specs-low performance"
    Pretty much. People forget to factor in that specs have no universally applicable value.

The SD400 will be more than fine, and every video we've seen of the 830 in action supports that.
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    09-08-2014 10:17 PM
    Finally someone who understands it..
    Some people here are just living inside their "wp> everything" world. Face the facts dudes !
    not really,wp is newer and hence the users of WP are from other platforms and left them because they didnt like it
    the day android and ios users try out windows phone,they will have a right to criticise
    09-08-2014 10:38 PM
    I don't know about BB, but WP & iOS work smoothly on lower processors, not Android, hence all the high end Android phones are mostly lag free, not the low end ones. I have my old L710 which has a mere 1.4Ghz single core processor, still works buttery smooth. Its good to see some people are understanding this point
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    09-08-2014 10:49 PM
    I bought a Moto G LTE as a backup phone for my wonderfull 820. In the first three days I had it I got three updates and it is sitting at 4.4.4 right now. What more can you ask for in being updated. Don't get me wrong I have gotten great updates for my 820; but it does take longer to get them. I was hoping to upgrade my 820 with the new 830; but I am not sure about it now. Same processor as my Moto G and same screen resolution for alot more money. If only they had gone with even a 600 series processor I would be first on the list. Now I just don't know. Will wait an see what people say who get the phone early and decide later. For now with the 820 and Moto G LTE I am pretty covered.
    I really wouldn't want 3 updates in 3 days. If a new phone then just update me on day one...
    09-08-2014 11:08 PM
    I don't know about BB, but WP & iOS work smoothly on lower processors, not Android, hence all the high end Android phones are mostly lag free, not the low end ones. I have my old L710 which has a mere 1.4Ghz single core processor, still works buttery smooth. Its good to see some people are understanding this point
    The HTC M8 battery life shows Windows Phone is more efficient too. Which is a little funny given those recent Android gets better battery life than the iPhone ads.
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    09-08-2014 11:12 PM
    The HTC M8 battery life shows Windows Phone is more efficient too. Which is a little funny given those recent Android gets better battery life than the iPhone ads.
    The only reason that Android gets better battery life than iPhones is because they're bigger, and bigger phones can fit bigger batteries. Though, that'll change in a couple hours.
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    09-08-2014 11:18 PM
    I really wouldn't want 3 updates in 3 days. If a new phone then just update me on day one...
    It really doesn't matter, Android updates are not the major ones, its only iOS & wp who come up with major updates
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    09-09-2014 01:13 AM
    I m not too much concerned about the specs as such. However, for the given specs I don't think a penny over $300 is worth it. If I were to buy a mid-range (please don't call 830 flagship) Lumia, my choice would be 730. 830 is only marginally bigger and has better rear camera. I dont think its worth the price difference.
    Bodeanicus likes this.
    09-09-2014 01:52 AM
    The 830 is behind? A quick reality check. Most don't buy the most feature rich android phone and it follows that most won't buy the more feature rich Windows phone. Which is why MS is building more low and mids than on the high end. High end smart phone buyers are a smaller percentage than mids and low end. If you only want high end, don't fool with the 830.
    Agreed. I'm looking at the 830 as a successor to my 822. I knew my 822 wasn't a "flagship" phone when I bought it. I didn't care then, and I don't care now. I'm good with it being a mid range phone. I am a bit concerned with the size, as I was hoping it be close to the 822. But otherwise it works for me.
    Guytronic likes this.
    09-17-2014 07:42 PM
65 123