830 Already Behind

Bruce Moellendick

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
According to the article written here about "Passive Voice activation for Cortana."

"The one caveat to this feature is when it arrives, it will most likely only work on newer Snapdragon 800 and higher chipsets. The ability to leave microphones on for passive activation is not a trivial thing to enable on any phone (unless you're the NSA, we suppose). That means in designing and enabling this feature, Microsoft may have to somewhat fragment the Cortana experience, frustrating some users who have older hardware."

So MS is promoting this phone knowing it won't support new updates...Nice. That should sell some phones.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Yes, there was certainly what looked confusion with that aspect of the reporting. Honestly when I think about how useful it is, I question it. I'd probably prefer to know when the phone is listening for instructions anyway.

And note that they could theoretically make any phone listen all the time if plugged in 😊

jpal12

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
The snapdragon 800 has a special low power voice activation chip, so that is why it only work on snapdragon 800 phones.

Liopleus Lin

May 23, 2014
Visit site
That could have added a dedicated chip for passive voice activation like what Moto did with their 1st X, that would make 830 with a more completed "flagship" experience, living up to the "affordable flagship" slogan.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
No, carrying a 2012-quality SoC is an automatic killer of "flagship" status, and having a same-size, same-OS, same-OEM device (Icon/930) carrying vastly-superior specs finishes off any glimmer of hope that carrying a Snapdragon 400 didn't kill. This is a mid-range phone AT BEST.

wiggum15

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
yes, thats why the 830 is way too expensive.
It should be around 300?...not 400? !

They clearly did the price totally wrong, just look at the new moto g or the new huawei phones, the 830 has the same or worse specs (maybe the rear camera is a bit better) but is 200? more expensive....thats MS/Nokia logic.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
iphone 5s and galaxy note 3 price in india on release -$1300 and no one bats an eye,
nokia releases 830 for $500-600 and everyone loses their minds

wiggum15

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
1. You cant compare a WP with a iPhone !
2. 5s has better specs, was a true flagship and was released years ago.
3. Note 3, look at the specs, true flasghip, was released years ago
4. Sorry, not many care about the india market, its all about the US and Europa (Germany,France,Italy,Spain,UK)

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
iphone 5s and galaxy note 3 price in india on release -$1300 and no one bats an eye,
nokia releases 830 for $500-600 and everyone loses their minds

Top selling phones of the world vs a mid range 'flagship'...also everyone complains about the price...as they run to wait in line preparing to give up an arm and a leg.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
No, carrying a 2012-quality SoC is an automatic killer of "flagship" status, and having a same-size, same-OS, same-OEM device (Icon/930) carrying vastly-superior specs finishes off any glimmer of hope that carrying a Snapdragon 400 didn't kill. This is a mid-range phone AT BEST.

^^only valid if it ran android

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
1. You cant compare a WP with a iPhone !
2. 5s has better specs, was a true flagship and was released years ago.
3. Note 3, look at the specs, true flasghip, was released years ago
4. Sorry, not many care about the india market, its all about the US and Europa (Germany,France,Italy,Spain,UK)

why not???
what do you mean not many care about the indian market,you are very very very mistaken if you think that way- we even got cyan whereas your high and mighty carrier phones didnt get updates for months at a time
the 810 still doesnt have an update whereas the CV520 was one of the first to get cyan
5S and note 3 may have better specs but wheres the real life difference??
your points are invalid sorry
ohh and if i cant compare a flagship iphone 5S with a 830 can i send photos via bluetooth or insert my sd card into the iphone
as for "released years ago" yeah right

as for not comparing an iphone with wp-thats the sorta attitude which puts wp down as if its a low standard os,compare the flagship wps and iphone 5s,see the cons of iphone and the insane pricing off contract

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
I don't doubt the 830's performance. MS has yet to release a phone that couldn't handle most things you throw at it. They are good at software optimization. The problem is, the public doesn't see it that way. Android with its lag and market dominance has convinced people that 64 cores + 8 GB RAM is the only way an OS will perform smoothly. And Microsoft isn't in a position to convince people otherwise. WP doesn't NEED to get into the high-specs-at-low-price war, but it certainly HAS to if they want to increase their market share growth.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I don't doubt the 830's performance. MS has yet to release a phone that couldn't handle most things you throw at it. They are good at software optimization. The problem is, the public doesn't see it that way. Android with its lag and market dominance has convinced people that 64 cores + 8 GB RAM is the only way an OS will perform smoothly. And Microsoft isn't in a position to convince people otherwise. WP doesn't NEED to get into the high-specs-at-low-price war, but it certainly HAS to if they want to increase their market share growth.

what they need is better marketing etc
they truly suck at marketing in india
they marketed the nokia x like anything but only one ad for the 630, 530 and 1520
they should have marketed mid range etc as well
also the showroom staff at most retail stores dont stock or even speak of windows phones

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
what they need is better marketing etc
they truly suck at marketing in india
they marketed the nokia x like anything but only one ad for the 630, 530 and 1520
they should have marketed mid range etc as well
also the showroom staff at most retail stores dont stock or even speak of windows phones

It's actually the same here in Pakistan. The Nokia X billboards were everywhere, and the TVCs were there too. But I have yet to see a single advertisement about the 1520 or 930. If Samsung can put up the S5 advertisements everywhere here, Nokia can certainly do the same given that the people here absolutely swear by Nokia featurephones (before the smartphone revolution), and Nokia is seen as a brand for durability and consistency. Couple that with how HERE Maps don't work here, they are practically giving away a market to Android, especially Samsung. Samsung is everywhere here. :(

Hisham mubarak

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I don't know what you guys are discussing here.... The passive listening of Cortana only supports on high end devices such as 930, 1520, icon etc... If you need that then buy one of these phones,... 830 is expected as mid range device...

I don't know what you guys are expecting, i have been waiting for a device like 830 for a long time... The main highlight i see in this phone is pure view camera, And it's only the upgraded version of 820...

If you love android and hate windows then don't discuss here... Android is the most lagging os i have ever seen, Apple is better but still that misses many things such as Bluetooth SD card etc...

Now I'm using a 620 which only have 512 mb ram but its faster than any other android phone with similar specification... I saw many of my friends having problem with Samsung galaxy s2, duos and many because its slow... These devices have better specs than 620... If you call me a WP fan boy then call me... "yes I'm"

Last edited:

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I thought the Lumia 830 costs €330?

Yes, before Europe's VAT (is there any bigger self-contradiction than the term value-added tax?). That will had 20%+ to the price, which means another €66 (more in some places), and knowing Europe, there are probably other fees to push it over €400.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss