830 Already Behind

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
It's actually the same here in Pakistan. The Nokia X billboards were everywhere, and the TVCs were there too. But I have yet to see a single advertisement about the 1520 or 930. If Samsung can put up the S5 advertisements everywhere here, Nokia can certainly do the same given that the people here absolutely swear by Nokia featurephones (before the smartphone revolution), and Nokia is seen as a brand for durability and consistency. Couple that with how HERE Maps don't work here, they are practically giving away a market to Android, especially Samsung. Samsung is everywhere here. :(

same here,samsung markets their poorly made handsets and people moan after buying them only to buy another samsung and moan again(true for most of my friends) :D

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Samsung are clear winners by adding features which are gimmicks nd they bombard their ad on indians especially I have seen galaxy grand 2 commercial almost 5 times everyday.

Liam Hale

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
What are you all on about? The lumia 830 is at a sweet spot in the market where few dare to go at this moment. The ?200-?300 price range, they will definitely have more people coming to them with the large screen, design and camera. And when it comes to the hey cortana stuff, i know snapdragon 80x chips use little battery with the voice activation chips but that's still battery that could be used else where. P.S. did you guys not see they confirmed the price in euros!

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
The 830 is behind? A quick reality check. Most don't buy the most feature rich android phone and it follows that most won't buy the more feature rich Windows phone. Which is why MS is building more low and mids than on the high end. High end smart phone buyers are a smaller percentage than mids and low end. If you only want high end, don't fool with the 830.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
The Lumia 830 is for the people out there who buy older generation iPhones for $450+ off-contract.

If you're a person who's aware of phone internals and cares about getting the most out of their money on a budget, then you're not the customer Microsoft's trying to reach with the Lumia 830.

Microsoft is trying to snatch up the people who pay more for older generation iPhones. It is clear that these people have some money, though apparently not enough to buy the latest iPhones, but more $ than the ones buying Lumia 5xx/6xx and Moto G.

The Lumia 830 is for that specific market, i.e. the people who are literally looking for an "affordable flagship" device. If this market's buying iPhone 4S, then it's clearly not attentive to specs, but rather, the experience of owning a premium smartphone. What matters in this context is what's apparent to the eye, i.e. the design, the camera, the accessories, the glamour, etc, not the spec sheet.

The Lumia 830 is the perfect device for that market, the real variable however is whether Microsoft can actually communicate and market the device properly. Microsoft has this uncanny ability to present gold as horse crap.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
No way in India this Lumia 830 has to compete with galaxy grand 2 which people here loves features offered by Samsung.Though these features are gimmicks still people buy.And if we take price of Lumia 830 its price is 26000 Rs for which I can get nexus 5 by paying 1000 more nd it has all latest apps.one more thing if camera is one point people buy smartphones wp would have easily stolen the whole indian market.no camera is not an important aspect of smartphone people want the latest games and apps also utility apps.
From Windows phone

hemanlive

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
For those of you who do not think that 830 is over priced, I would say that real comparison should be with Nexus 5. In terms of street price, it is roughly the same as 830. What 830 has better? only rear camera (though the sensor size is smaller than Nexus 5)
What Nexus has better: A much superior Processor, double the RAM, same screen size but with more than 50% higher pixel density. A slightly bigger battery that provides a significantly higher back-up, a better front camera and most importantly a much bigger market share and Android OS. There is hardly any other market which is as price sensitive as the Indian market. It is flooded with Android models with octacore processors, 2GB ram etc. for less the 15,000 INR (~$250). I am not saying Nokia belongs in that category. However, to win market shares the price points should be much lower for these specs.
I absolutely love the windows platform, but why does MS forget that it has to play catch-up? It is not a leader and people are not standing overnight in long queues to lap up new models. In terms of specs it should have been the other way round: much higher specs on a Lumia than Android phones available at that price point.
As for comparison with iPhones, they still demand a lot of snob value. People are crazy and it still is a style and status quotient particularly in India. MS has not and WILL NOT gain market share till the time it gets its pricing right

Last edited:

Games Goblin

May 26, 2013
Visit site
I saw in an advert in the paper today - Sammy has given the Note 3 a massive price drop here in India and is available for ~₹25,000 (approx $420) - I guess it's because of impending Note 4 launch. The 830 sure has it's work cut out for it.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
For those of you who do not think that 830 is over priced, I would say that real comparison should be with Nexus 5. In terms of street price, it is roughly the same as 830. What 830 has better? only rear camera (though the sensor size is smaller than Nexus 5)
What Nexus has better: A much superior Processor, double the RAM, same screen size but with more than 50% higher pixel density. A slightly bigger battery that provides a significantly higher back-up, a better front camera and most importantly a much bigger market share and Android OS. There is hardly any other market which is as price sensitive as the Indian market. It is flooded with Android models with octacore processors, 2GB ram etc. for less the 15,000 INR (~$250). I am not saying Nokia belongs in that category. However, to win market shares the price points should be much lower for these specs.
I absolutely love the windows platform, but why does MS forget that it has to play catch-up? It is not a leader and people are not standing overnight in long queues to lap up new models. In terms of specs it should have been the other way round: much higher specs on a Lumia than Android phones available at that price point.
As for comparison with iPhones, they still demand a lot of snob value. People are crazy and it still is a style *** status quotient particularly in India. MS has not and WILL NOT gain market share till the time it gets its pricing right

Ya you are right it will fail in India just like Lumia 820 which was priced 28000 ₹ in 2012 but later dropped drastically.still people didn't buy it.lumia 830 is for wp fanboys not for general public.heck Lumia 730 will eat the sales of Lumia 830.so ms better release Lumia 730 lately or else Lumia 830 will not sell.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I saw in an advert in the paper today - Sammy has given the Note 3 a massive price drop here in India and is available for ~₹25,000 (approx $420) - I guess it's because of impending Note 4 launch. The 830 sure has it's work cut out for it.

I think it could be note 3 neo not note 3 .if what u say I true then note 3 will sell like hot cakes.lumia 830 already a looser will be a disaster.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I think the other variable behind the Lumia 830's pricing is the fact that Microsoft may be trying to leave the market open for other Windows Phone OEMs. Imagine how tough it could be for Indian brands to compete if Nokia branded phones of similar or even superior specs were selling for around the same price or less.

hemanlive

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
And why on earth would MS want others to have the market that it can have it quite easily for itself?

Taking your argument forward, I would say that only when MS sees a HTC or a Samsung sell more windows phone than itself, will it try to lower the prices. However if that is the plan then they are letting the birds in hand go away in temptation of luring those somewhere in an imaginary bush.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
And why on earth would MS want others to have the market that it can have it quite easily for itself?

Because MS wants all of these popular brand names associated with WP.

Because MS wants WP overall to occupy more space on store shelves, and not just be two or three models in the back room.

Because they want more companies to spend money marketing WP devices.

If that doesn't convince you, also note that MS are already doing the same thing with their surface line of products.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site

Taking your argument forward, I would say that only when MS sees a HTC or a Samsung sell more windows phone than itself, will it try to lower the prices. However if that is the plan then they are letting the birds in hand go away in temptation of luring those somewhere in an imaginary bush.
In addition to what a5cent said, they want WP to be spread far and wide by everyone, literally *anyone* claiming to be in the smartphone business. So in India that includes partners such as Micromax, XOLO and Lava, in North America it includes Blu and Yezz, in Europe there's Prestigio and so on.

Aren't these the companies pushing those insane octocore $200 3GB RAM phones? These are the guys Microsoft is hoping to attract, and it probably needs to define new product categories (e.g. "affordable high-end") with the understanding that it'll leave the best parts of the market to the locals.

A couple of months down the line there could indeed be $250-300 "affordable flagship" Windows Phone by local OEMs such as Xolo, Micromax, etc.

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Lagging behind with specs on paper, yes.

Functionality and performance, no it wont.

Have you seen those mid range Android devices? They suck. Those entry level Android devices are a waste of money. Most lower end Android phones' OSes may be up to date but aroun d 80% of them wont get the next major update where on WP, 99% of WP8 Devices will get 8.1 (excluding the 8S). All of them also got Cortana while the iPhone 4 didn't even get Siri which was just one version behind of the 4S.

Crazy huh? Well Microsoft makes sure that we all get updated across the board, of course some features wouldn't available for a few devices but that's because of aging specs.

While this certain feature of Cortana wont be heading to midrange devices, they can still use Cortana. Microsoft may have not been able to give every device 4K recording, they gave a compromise for the other lower speced devices.

I believe that the 830 will perform better than its Android counterparts like the HTC One Mini, S5 Mini and other mid range Android phones.

Bottom line is: Android phones may have the better specs but WP will have the better performance and built in functionality. The 830 is solid for the price tag. Also, the 830 is the straight to the point smart phone with no gimmicks or jibber jabber included like fake waterproof, fake wireless charging, fake metal etc. (just kidding guys)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre