830 Already Behind

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
In addition to what a5cent said, they want WP to be spread far and wide by everyone, literally *anyone* claiming to be in the smartphone business. So in India that includes partners such as Micromax, XOLO and Lava, in North America it includes Blu and Yezz, in Europe there's Prestigio and so on.

Aren't these the companies pushing those insane octocore $200 3GB RAM phones? These are the guys Microsoft is hoping to attract, and it probably needs to define new product categories (e.g. "affordable high-end") with the understanding that it'll leave the best parts of the market to the locals.

A couple of months down the line there could indeed be $250-300 "affordable flagship" Windows Phone by local OEMs such as Xolo, Micromax, etc.

if thats what ms thinks then RIP wp in India, many ppl still dont trust OEMs such micromax xolo etc, it has to be Nokia or samsung

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
yes, thats why the 830 is way too expensive.
It should be around 300?...not 400? !

They clearly did the price totally wrong, just look at the new moto g or the new huawei phones, the 830 has the same or worse specs (maybe the rear camera is a bit better) but is 200? more expensive....thats MS/Nokia logic.

Err the RRP is 330 Euros before tax & subsidies, you cannot blame MS about the tax rate in your country or currency rate.. that is just moronic. Nokia is out of the equation since Nokia does not make any phones and only can after Dec 2015.

The affordable flagship: Lumia 830 - Conversations

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I think Nokia could have used a Snapdragon 800 for minimal increase in cost. It is a 1 year old processor and the 801/805 are probably Intel's expensive processors right now. Even if they couldn't the Snadragon 410 which is also coming out now would have been appreciated. The fact that the 830 can't use the features that they showed off in the keynote like 4k capture or Hey Cortana is just showing that with Nokia's latest "affordable flagship" you will not get flagship features.

And the argument that Nokia's 830 provides a better "experience" than the Moto G doesn't hold. The OS is entirely subjective, in fact more people prefer Android to WP so even if they were the same price, people would choose the Moto G. Instead, you're getting the exact same hardware for 2x the price, and that won't appeal to anyone except diehard Windows fans like yourselves...

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I think Nokia could have used a Snapdragon 800 for minimal increase in cost. It is a 1 year old processor and the 801/805 are probably Intel's expensive processors right now. Even if they couldn't the Snadragon 410 which is also coming out now would have been appreciated. The fact that the 830 can't use the features that they showed off in the keynote like 4k capture or Hey Cortana is just showing that with Nokia's latest "affordable flagship" you will not get flagship features.

And the argument that Nokia's 830 provides a better "experience" than the Moto G doesn't hold. The OS is entirely subjective, in fact more people prefer Android to WP so even if they were the same price, people would choose the Moto G. Instead, you're getting the exact same hardware for 2x the price, and that won't appeal to anyone except diehard Windows fans like yourselves...

Ditto! I am starting to take my WP goggles off and exploring. I'm so tired of everything that's going on with WP. I just don't know anymore.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I bought a Moto G LTE as a backup phone for my wonderfull 820. In the first three days I had it I got three updates and it is sitting at 4.4.4 right now. What more can you ask for in being updated. Don't get me wrong I have gotten great updates for my 820; but it does take longer to get them. I was hoping to upgrade my 820 with the new 830; but I am not sure about it now. Same processor as my Moto G and same screen resolution for alot more money. If only they had gone with even a 600 series processor I would be first on the list. Now I just don't know. Will wait an see what people say who get the phone early and decide later. For now with the 820 and Moto G LTE I am pretty covered.

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
This is why we'll have to see what happens once it hits stores. Most consumers that the 830 is directed at wont invest too much in the processor if the 830 provide an overall great experience. It's one of the sleekest phones with one of the best front facing cameras. Sure they loose a little in the rear facing camera, but its all about the selfies right. I've read that they may be including a year of the Nokia Music + subscription. Remember when the 920 was released an Nokia added a Qi wireless charging pad with purchase of the phone. I look for the 830 to have something similar. Too early to tell. We'll see.

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
What's the point in giving a higher processor to 830? If MS gave snapdragon 600, still that 1 feature of Cortana would be missing. If it gave snapdragon 800, nobody would buy 930. All would go for 830 instead. Why would MS risk the sales of 930, for 830. I think it has a good processor, 400 is fine. Even with single or dual core processors WP doesn't lag, because its not that power hungry

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
What's the point in giving a higher processor to 830? If MS gave snapdragon 600, still that 1 feature of Cortana would be missing. If it gave snapdragon 800, nobody would buy 930. All would go for 830 instead. Why would MS risk the sales of 930, for 830. I think it has a good processor, 400 is fine. Even with single or dual core processors WP doesn't lag, because its not that power hungry

android has messed up peoples heads with "high specs-good performance,low and mid specs-low performance"
they forget wp ,ios and BB10 run better on low hardware

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
android has messed up peoples heads with "high specs-good performance,low and mid specs-low performance"
Pretty much. People forget to factor in that specs have no universally applicable value.

The SD400 will be more than fine, and every video we've seen of the 830 in action supports that.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Finally someone who understands it..
Some people here are just living inside their "wp> everything" world. Face the facts dudes !

not really,wp is newer and hence the users of WP are from other platforms and left them because they didnt like it
the day android and ios users try out windows phone,they will have a right to criticise

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

I don't know about BB, but WP & iOS work smoothly on lower processors, not Android, hence all the high end Android phones are mostly lag free, not the low end ones. I have my old L710 which has a mere 1.4Ghz single core processor, still works buttery smooth. Its good to see some people are understanding this point

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I bought a Moto G LTE as a backup phone for my wonderfull 820. In the first three days I had it I got three updates and it is sitting at 4.4.4 right now. What more can you ask for in being updated. Don't get me wrong I have gotten great updates for my 820; but it does take longer to get them. I was hoping to upgrade my 820 with the new 830; but I am not sure about it now. Same processor as my Moto G and same screen resolution for alot more money. If only they had gone with even a 600 series processor I would be first on the list. Now I just don't know. Will wait an see what people say who get the phone early and decide later. For now with the 820 and Moto G LTE I am pretty covered.
I really wouldn't want 3 updates in 3 days. If a new phone then just update me on day one...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05