Linus Sebastian, a well-respected tech personnel on YouTube, says that WP is "a phone for no one"...

Status
Not open for further replies.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Re: Linus Sebastian, a well-respected tech personnel on YouTube, says that WP is "a phone for no one

Developers said the same about Android once vs. iOS. I wouldn't write WP off yet.

It was only between Android and iOS at that point of time. Things are very different now. Is there really another room for a 3rd mobile OS? Are developers really going to spend the same amount of efforts on the 3rd mobile OS which cannot even hit like 20% till now?? Doubt so. Some examples are how Instagram is still stuck forever in its BETA and Flipboard is like taking ages to be launched on Windows Phone.

Legoboyii

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Re: Linus Sebastian, a well-respected tech personnel on YouTube, says that WP is "a phone for no one

Sadly is a cold hard truth that Windows Phone is still not very well received by consumers in the mobile market. Here's a very good example of why apps are not coming to Windows Phone.

http://i60.tinypic.com/mjl6pi.jpg

View attachment 80143

Developers are don't find the need for wasting their time on a platform which has merely 5% of the market shares. Don't get me wrong. Windows Phone as a mobile platform is excellent. But most consumers don't find things like tiles based Start screen interesting. to them, the whole tile concept is like a high mess. They will rather prefer to use static icons or the out-of-place looking widgets. They just hate to see chess-board looking Start screen.

I have no idea how MS is going to penetrate the market even further. Future is not looking god for windows phone at all.

Honestly, the start tile menu is one of many things keeping me on WP lol. Battery life, the interface/ui. I just love it all I can't imagine being on any other platform. I previously owned an android smartphone which was full of bugs and issues, weak battery life, very little customizability in many fronts. It was overall a very stale experience. Just my personal experience. WP for the win end of story good night. x3

Legoboyii

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Well that's one reason low end Lumias are popular first phones in emerging third world countries. If you've never heard of a certain app or just don't use it at all, would you care? I don't use Instagram or WhatsApp or Snapchat so I wont miss them. I mainly use Kik Facebook and Skype, and I can get all three right here so I'm perfectly fine with the lack of apps. Better a good working few, than several million malware or junk apps.

If a future update allows custom Font use in like settings/start menu etc. I would use Chopin Script or Halo style. Id have absolutely no reason on earth to swap out of WP.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Opinions are like a-holes, everybody's got one. Just who exactly is this Linus person? Except for Torvalds, the only Linus I know of plays the piano for Charlie Brown.

Last edited:

Ticomfreak

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

there is another reviewer who looks a bit like robert downey jr,cant remember his name but ive seen 2-3 of his phone reviews and he is the best reviewer ive seen imho,he isnt biased towards any platform

Michael Fisher from Pocketnow.

You're welcome :)

winboy

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site

I have never heard of this guy before nor do I care about his opinions. All I care is I prefer WP to android, I can form my own opinion and I don't need someone to tell me which phone is not for me.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site

Does anyone remember the late '90s Apple messaging when Steve Jobs returned to the company?

"Think Different"

Sometimes it just isn't about features, or apps, or versatility or pervasiveness (all of which the PC had), but things that just appeal to certain people. It could be that Windows Phone is being different for the sake of it, and that's a very good thing. Will it result in massive market-share or even mindshare? Nope, but Microsoft's done a lot to cement a fairly firm and permanent position in the mobile world, no matter how hard some try to willfully ignore it or burry it.

Now it's up to Microsoft to identify and nail the next big wave.

Legoboyii

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site

Does anyone remember the late '90s Apple messaging when Steve Jobs returned to the company?

"Think Different"

Sometimes it just isn't about features, or apps, or versatility or pervasiveness (all of which the PC had), but things that just appeal to certain people. It could be that Windows Phone is being different for the sake of it, and that's a very good thing. Will it result in massive market-share or even mindshare? Nope, but Microsoft's done a lot to cement a fairly firm and permanent position in the mobile world, no matter how hard some try to willfully ignore it or burry it.

Now it's up to Microsoft to identify and nail the next big wave.

I like how you think 😉

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

If you want an honest review buy it yourself and test it. Only morons blindly buy based on the opinions of others.

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Temporarily closed for review.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

This thread is now open again.

Friendly reminder folks.........
[INFO]
P.U.P.P.A.H
(Be Polite, Understanding, Patient, Professional, Attentive and Helpful)

• Be polite. We ask that you keep your language clean and polite.
  • Be understanding and patient. You may be a power user or developer, but the person you’re talking to on the other end may be a complete newbie. Be patient, and provide all details possible if you’re posting about a problem (descriptive thread title always helps).
  • Be a pro. Don’t get into arguments over dumb things. If someone responds in a poor or rude fashion, ignore it. If you notice a pattern of rude or poor behavior from a particular member, report them to our moderators. If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all. In a nutshell, ‘think before you post’.
  • Be attentive and helpful. Answer questions in a timely manner when you can, and provide thoughts and suggestions that might lead to the solution of a members’ problem.
[/INFO]

If additional moderation is needed, the thread will be closed.

[WARN]Discuss the content of the video and the reviewer, not other members of WPCentral.[/WARN]

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site

It was only between Android and iOS at that point of time. Things are very different now. Is there really another room for a 3rd mobile OS? Are developers really going to spend the same amount of efforts on the 3rd mobile OS which cannot even hit like 20% till now?? Doubt so. Some examples are how Instagram is still stuck forever in its BETA and Flipboard is like taking ages to be launched on Windows Phone.

Lets hope so. Lack of choice sucks.

Torcher Death

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site

Apart from the apps situation & the T9 calling.... I don't agree with anything else he mentioned.

He says he used the phone for a month & doesn't even know how notifications work, nor how to use the contact list. Seems biased

monzki

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

Linus is a good reviewer but maybe not this time. I don't think WP is for him. His mistake is he made a general assessment that WP is not for enthusiasts. The dev preview is a proof that WP is for enthusiasts also. You can early updates with risk. The same applies with Android, flush for updates with risk. Dev preview is even called preview for enthusiasts.

AG VK

Banned
Jun 3, 2014
Visit site

Linus is a good reviewer but maybe not this time. I don't think WP is for him. His mistake is he made a general assessment that WP is not for enthusiasts. The dev preview is a proof that WP is for enthusiasts also. You can early updates with risk. The same applies with Android, flush for updates with risk. Dev preview is even called preview for enthusiasts.

Having a beta program means nothing. Apple has an iOS beta as well - this does not mean iOS is for enthusiasts.

No, the fact is that WP is still sadly limited in what you can do. Have a Pebble? **** you. WP won't do **** with it. Want to attach a file to a reply email? TROLOLOLOL ***** please. Want to monitor Wifi channels in your house to find an empty one for your wifi? ***** please.

It's definitely not for enthusiasts at this time, at least not my definition of an enthusiast.

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site

Well that's one reason low end Lumias are popular first phones in emerging third world countries. If you've never heard of a certain app or just don't use it at all, would you care? .

Oh finally someone who makes sense. That's exactly so. Some people are enthusiastic simply because they have lower end needs or they find all the apps and functions they need (others are fanboys but those don't count except for the fact they are normally very annoying with their denial of reality). But nobody seems to understand too many users are missing functions and apps and what makes them run even more is the fact that Microsoft is going very slow. They keep updating but what they update is A) Limited and B) Or marginal usefulness for a wide range of users C) Developers don't love the platform.
And despite my apparent dislike of WP this comes from someone who is getting marginally involved in some app development (localization side only), so i'd be shooting my own feet. Truth is, WP needs more people in and to get that the OS needs a brush up.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

Oh finally someone who makes sense. That's exactly so. Some people are enthusiastic simply because they have lower end needs or they find all the apps and functions they need (others are fanboys but those don't count except for the fact they are normally very annoying with their denial of reality). But nobody seems to understand too many users are missing functions and apps and what makes them run even more is the fact that Microsoft is going very slow. They keep updating but what they update is A) Limited and B) Or marginal usefulness for a wide range of users C) Developers don't love the platform.
And despite my apparent dislike of WP this comes from someone who is getting marginally involved in some app development (localization side only), so i'd be shooting my own feet. Truth is, WP needs more people in and to get that the OS needs a brush up.

finally a person who doesnt like WP much but whose points still make sense !!

StephanW

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site

To be honest the only reason I've got Windows Phone is the price of the device. I didn't want to pay a lot for the iPhone but:

- The hardware in the iPhone is better.
- iOS is better.
- All the apps on iOS are better.
- I still can't work with Facebook (the slowwwww) on WP.
- Twitter on WP is a laugh.
- So is Instagram.

So, compared to that. We can pretty much say Windows Phone is not for someone in particular. The social-media bloke would get iOS. I've got some thoughts of by purchase. It's not been a success. I'd save some more money next time ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster