Linus Sebastian, a well-respected tech personnel on YouTube, says that WP is "a phone for no one"...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bearach

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Re: Linus Sebastian, a well-respected tech personnel on YouTube, says that WP is "a phone for no one

We WP users have so much time that we bring opinion of those people(which most of we don't know). about WP.

and at the end we end up making bad mouthing on that person or website.

It's their opinion. Let them have it. You can't force people to like WP.(anyway he is from YouTube(Google) & he has right to do make fun or say whatever he want to say about WP just like MS have right to do bad mouthing on Google (Scroogle). )

Here in WP 95% users are Google & Android hater.

Their are even WP websites which do same with competing OS.(like Android,iOS)

His opinion accepted, his trying to say his opinion is for anyone? Not so much.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Re: Linus Sebastian, a well-respected tech personnel on YouTube, says that WP is "a phone for no one

I would have respected his piece if he didn't know. Did he not claim he used it for a month? Either he is lying about using it or ran into an id10t error..

or may be WP isn't for everyone.

or your hypothesis is every WP user would love WP?

Bearach

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site

What's wrong with anyone?

He's implying that his opinion is that of everyone? That no one should use? That is the language he has used. He's not said in my opinion, so your argument regarding it's only his opinion is invalid.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site

This review is perfect for every buyer. He is right when he says that the UI has no targeted audience. I get confused whether it was made for people with bad eyesight or trendy hipsters :p jokes aside he is also right about how easy it is to use at the same time. He doesn't know how to use the phone like an enthusiast though that's for sure. WP fans know that if you tap the app in the notification centre you can go straight to the app. It's not his fault that he is used to iOS/android.

He also says that the phone is perfect for beginners like parents but for teenagers and power users it sucks. They are absolutely right. This review is not bias at all. He considers every kind of consumer. Most importantly the average consumer.

Last edited:

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site

This review is perfect for every buyer. He is right when he says that the UI has no targeted audience. I get confused whether it was made for people with bad eyesight or trendy hipsters :p jokes aside he is also right about how easy it is to use at the same time. He doesn't know how to use the phone like an enthusiast though that's for sure. WP fans know that if you tap the app in the notification centre you can go straight to the app. It's not his fault that he is used to iOS/android.

He also says that the phone is perfect for beginners like parents but for teenagers and power users it sucks. They are absolutely right. This review is not bias at all. He considers every kind of consumers. Most importantly the average consumer.

Precisely.

He's comparing one os to another and how confusing it is and how frustrating it Can be just as it is with the dialer, email, and the other things.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

Bearach

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site

What key aspects did he lie about?

I never said lie...? He just didn't know about them. His knowledge of the notification centre, regarding email? Invalid. That's just one of them. However I'll stop right here. You seem rather aggressive and I'm wanting a relaxing Sunday.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site

I never said lie...? He just didn't know about them. His knowledge of the notification centre, regarding email? Invalid. That's just one of them. However I'll stop right here. You seem rather aggressive and I'm wanting a relaxing Sunday.
But he is right about the dialler. T9/smart dialling is long due. Do people in Microsoft even use their windows phones on a daily basis? We have seen Joe Belfiore use an iPhone, that says something about the platform...

Bearach

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site

But he is right about the dialler. T9/smart dialling is long due. Do people in Microsoft even use their windows phones on a daily basis.

Maybe, but he also showed that he lacked knowledge of how to even bring a contact up. Little bit of research and he would know of the Speed dial, and the letter selector. He went the longest possible way around with it. I just feel that this was poor, and the guy didn't do enough research and fact checking to become a "serious" reviewer to me. You're fine with inaccuracies and lack of research, then fine for you. I'm not.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site

Maybe, but he also showed that he lacked knowledge of how to even bring a contact up. Little bit of research and he would know of the Speed dial, and the letter selector. He went the longest possible way around with it. I just feel that this was poor, and the guy didn't do enough research and fact checking to become a "serious" reviewer to me. You're fine with inaccuracies and lack of research, then fine for you. I'm not.

Lol!
Speed Dialer for those who called to less people.

Android look more faster & convenient than WP in this regard.

How his knowledge about email & notification are invalid.?
I don't think he was wrong.

Bearach

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site

Lol!
Speed Dialer for those who called to less people.

Android look more faster & convenient than WP in this regard.

How his knowledge about email & notification are invalid.?
I don't think he was wrong.

You can "lol" all you like, but it doesn't make it any less valid. He didn't know of either. Thus my saying he was incompetent in the use of the OS, is still valid. I was only giving examples of getting to contacts numbers, there is also more ways of course.

With regards to the email, he wished to open the email client from the notification centre and go through to them, but pressed on the header to open a single email rather than the email program "icon" to open the client. Then complained that back took him to the Start screen. He didn't know what he was doing, that is all. I don't mind that in most cases, but to say this is a good review makes that a different matter. It isn't in my opinion.

Last edited:

Bearach

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site

I know full well that there are work arounds for many things that are not like the other platforms... but it doesn't matter. What he stated is exactly how many people see WP.

I don't know how much clearer I can be.

That I can agree on, but to call this a "good" review of a product? That I can't agree on.

Swap places here. Imagine if the "normal" way was Windows Phone, and Android was the different way. Should all the reviewers, reviewers that people trust their buying "power" on expect Android to work in every way like Windows Phone?

It would be wrong on Android too.

Last edited:

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site

But he is right about the dialler. T9/smart dialling is long due. Do people in Microsoft even use their windows phones on a daily basis? We have seen Joe Belfiore use an iPhone, that says something about the platform...

Android only recently added smart dialing and is much more mature than WP,so I think they are allowed a pass here.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

Michael Fisher of Pocketnow
apparently he's the only reviewer you can trust nowadays

thanks for the OP for letting me know which reviewer NOT to look up for :)

yeah thanks for the name!! hes the best reviewer ever
he listed a bunch of cons for wp but hes not biased at all!! He even puts down android and ios equally
this linus guy is a joke

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

We WP users have so much time that we bring opinion of those people(which most of we don't know). about WP.

and at the end we end up making bad mouthing on that person or website.

It's their opinion. Let them have it. You can't force people to like WP.(anyway he is from YouTube(Google) & he has right to do make fun or say whatever he want to say about WP just like MS have right to do bad mouthing on Google (Scroogle). )

Here in WP 95% users are Google & Android hater.

Their are even WP websites which do same with competing OS.(like Android,iOS)

but we all came from the platforms we now hate,these guys hate windows phone for vague reasons without even using wp

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site

Ugh, his voice is so annoying I couldn't even get through three minutes of hearing him talk -_-

I've used Android since it was launched (no - really, I had the HTC G1) and have used many, many devices. None of which I was really happy with. The force close messages, Samsung's ugly skins on their Galaxy lines, the stutter no matter how much I tried to root and tweak the settings, all of it bugged me to hell. The only phone that was sort of bearable for me was the Galaxy Nexus which I used for a while until it reached EOL. After which I switched to Windows because half my family did.

Yes, sometimes I do feel like WP is a step backwards, but I do not feel that most of the time. The smoothness, the brilliant camera, the amazing build quality, a camera KEY (!), all of it makes up for any inconveniences I might have. Android is not really a good platform at all. App development is a pain on Android (Visual Studio is a WHOLE LOT better than that Studio application Google released, which SUCKS); add to that the beauty of being able to work in C++, and also C# (which is just like Java, with the difference that it actually works ;) ). Yes, MS slipped up many times, but I feel now that they're really starting to get their sh*t together. I am sticking with WP. The pros outweigh the cons.

Just to add, I was reading an AnandTech article (the only credible tech site, IMO), and even he commented that Windows Phone users are true and loyal to the platform, even if they are few compared to Android, because the platform has less headaches than Android. And it does. Take it from an ex-Android fan.

Matthew Becker1

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site

This video was an absolute pain to watch. He says almost nothing about the phone itself and just rips into the operating system. Of course, he certainly can do what he wants, but if he just wanted to rip into Windows Phone 8.1 (some of his criticism I do agree with), he should have called the video that instead. Otherwise, to advertise a video about a phone while most of your review is on the OS is misleading. He tries to justify it by mentioning the One M8 where he felt it necessary but it is overall just a rant.

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site

or may be WP isn't for everyone.

or your hypothesis is every WP user would love WP?

Nope, but I expect self-proclaimed techies know what they are talking about. If you have had it for a month, you may hate it, but you don't get lost as to what to do with the interface.

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site

To anyone who is actually taking this guy seriously, allow me to point out some of the Android issues over the years. Let's do the nitpicking for ourselves too!

1. The back button is broken. It has NO consistency and it's up to the developers who always screw it up. At least you know on WP you can press the back button to the last activity. On Android, some apps close out entirely, or you go back to another app without first going to the home screen. The back button on Android is sometimes like the "button to some activity that you were using some time in the past". No joke.

2. The UI inconsistency. Android's icons aren't all the same size. It annoys me so much how the some icons (like the camera, etc) are smaller than others and it gives the display a very untidy feel. At least all the tiles are consistently sized.

3. List scrolling doesn't remember scroll location. This gives me so much love for WP, I can't even explain. Basically, say you're scrolling a list of apps on the Play Store. You open an app's page, to look through it. You don't like it. You press the back button. The list comes back but instead of being at the location where you tapped, the list it at the very beginning forcing you to scroll all the way down AGAIN. It bugged me to no end. I have never seen this happen on WP, it always remembers list location, and it's just comfortable to use.

4. Google claims to back up your contact pictures along with contacts. But if you do a factory reset or sync your contacts to another device, the pictures that sync are at a pathetically small 100x100 pixel size or something, and opening the picture makes the person unrecognizable. Only if you open the contact and then open the pic does it sync the full-res picture (and sometimes not even then, it didn't work on KitKat for me -_-)

I could go on, but you get the picture, right? This guy is slamming WP for the smallest issues, without giving a thought to the niggles in Android that make the experience annoying. Pathetic.

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site

To anyone who is actually taking this guy seriously, allow me to point out some of the Android issues over the years. Let's do the nitpicking for ourselves too!

1. The back button is broken. It has NO consistency and it's up to the developers who always screw it up. At least you know on WP you can press the back button to the last activity. On Android, some apps close out entirely, or you go back to another app without first going to the home screen. The back button on Android is sometimes like the "button to some activity that you were using some time in the past". No joke.

2. The UI inconsistency. Android's icons aren't all the same size. It annoys me so much how the some icons (like the camera, etc) are smaller than others and it gives the display a very untidy feel. At least all the tiles are consistently sized.

3. List scrolling doesn't remember scroll location. This gives me so much love for WP, I can't even explain. Basically, say you're scrolling a list of apps on the Play Store. You open an app's page, to look through it. You don't like it. You press the back button. The list comes back but instead of being at the location where you tapped, the list it at the very beginning forcing you to scroll all the way down AGAIN. It bugged me to no end. I have never seen this happen on WP, it always remembers list location, and it's just comfortable to use.

4. Google claims to back up your contact pictures along with contacts. But if you do a factory reset or sync your contacts to another device, the pictures that sync are at a pathetically small 100x100 pixel size or something, and opening the picture makes the person unrecognizable. Only if you open the contact and then open the pic does it sync the full-res picture (and sometimes not even then, it didn't work on KitKat for me -_-)

I could go on, but you get the picture, right? This guy is slamming WP for the smallest issues, without giving a thought to the niggles in Android that make the experience annoying. Pathetic.
Number 4 was fixed years ago but spot on with the other points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss