19th day of ownership for HTC One for Windows review.

scotiez

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I have an HTC m8 android and so badly want to switch to windows. My only concern is leaving the Google Apps ecosystem. I hate the idea of leaving android for something I have never used before, then not liking it and being stuck till upgrade time

That's how I felt last month when I switched from IOS to the HTC One m8 windows phone. But I was tired of IOS not syncing to my desktop or laptop very easily and some stuff still missing. Once I switched all my devises work so nice together and its instantly. Sure if your a big app user then some stuff your gona be missing, but its not like you can't find what your looking for by just using IE and searching for it and pinning it to the start screen. I've only been on a windows phone for just over 3 weeks now and I will never go back. Love my m8 and windows, makes life so much easier for me.

spydersilk

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
Honestly, I use Gmail, I like that my photos are automatically backed up to Google plus, I have some music streaming services, I read the news, watch YouTube, and play a couple games. I'm sure that I could find almost all the apps, or similar apps. As silly as it seems, it's a big decision

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
Honestly, I use Gmail, I like that my photos are automatically backed up to Google plus, I have some music streaming services, I read the news, watch YouTube, and play a couple games. I'm sure that I could find almost all the apps, or similar apps. As silly as it seems, it's a big decision

One Drive does the same with photos. You can still use Gmail, you can read news, and watch Youtube. As for games, that is subjective. As for streaming music....yeah not very happy with xbox music vs google play music. Spotify, slacker, and Pandora are all available on WP.

spydersilk

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
One Drive does the same with photos. You can still use Gmail, you can read news, and watch Youtube. As for games, that is subjective. As for streaming music....yeah not very happy with xbox music vs google play music. Spotify, slacker, and Pandora are all available on WP.
Is this the same adrynalyne from bamf? I'm assuming so. Do you switch back and forth, or are you strictly wp

yanzfoot

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
Very nice review. Well I did the opposite move, and I have no bias for no MS, Apple or Google, because all 3 bigs, do the same thing: earn money.

I have been a consistent Windows Phone user since november 2010 until May of this year (nearly 4 years!): I had an HTC Trophy > HTC Titan > and HTC 8X with developer preview (WP 8.1), through this time I've used sometimes an Android phone as a secondary device, and I never trusted it, although it was fun to play with them. Then in May, the HTC 8X after nearly two years broke, and my carrier did not have any top notch Windows Phone, so here home there was a iPhone 5S that my mom (I'm 21, and she 39 :grincry:) didn't use in the box. I said to myself in may: "that if in july, the carrier didn't have the Lumia 930, I would resign my 2 year agreement with an HTC One M8 with Android" (I have always been a HTC user), and indeed, after two months with the iPhone 5S (pretty cool experience iOS, but not for my daily use), that happened: after 4 years with WP, I had a Android device as a dailydriver.

I have always been a WP fan (not ******; and not many people can say, they've have used it since it had only 3000 apps and no copy-paste in 2010). But boy, let me tell you if this HTC One M8 with Android flies, I can't imagine it with Windows Phone. Although I sincerely would not switch my One M8 with Android for a WP version, because I don't like Android as a dailydriver on any device, but the One M8 with Android is just a phenomal device: battery life, stability, apps, design, Support (3 updates in 3 months) and fluidity it's all on the pack (nearly 3 months with it, and I haven't seen a "This App has closed unexpectedly) , and as all reviewers say, it's the iPhone of Android.

But hey, at the end of the day I've been a WP user for nearly 4 years, I have a W8.1 laptop and Tablet, and I would just love to see this hardware boot WP, without have to change it for a specific WP version, because sometimes I miss WP. I would love to choose the OS by the ROM. So I could show people more about WP, and how good it is. But I would also love to see true WP fans like me, who doesn't like Android, try the M8 with Android, because it's also pretty damn good.

PD: Sorry for my bad english

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I have a question:

When I use the HTC Camera app on the display units at the MS store, I noticed that the photos have a blue hue to them through the whole photo.

If I use the Windows Phone 8 camera app, it doesn't have the blue hue, does anyone else notice this, I assume it can be adjusted with a setting.

This was one reason why I am not planning to get this phone, if it is fixable than it might be a front runner.

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I have a question:

When I use the HTC Camera app on the display units at the MS store, I noticed that the photos have a blue hue to them through the whole photo.

If I use the Windows Phone 8 camera app, it doesn't have the blue hue, does anyone else notice this, I assume it can be adjusted with a setting.

This was one reason why I am not planning to get this phone, if it is fixable than it might be a front runner.

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk
Proshot from the store is great. Never see any hue issues with it.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Current Nokia 928 owner here. To the OP:

Nokia has a bunch of VERY USEFUL apps that are Nokia specific. Have you ever tried those? I actually use them quite a bit since they're free and top notch. I'm wondering if there are good replacements for the Nokia specific apps, Panorama, Drive, Beamer, Video Trimmer,

Also, the 928 has wireless charging. Seems not alot of devices support that. I will miss that. Anyway to add that internal?

Reebs Reebs

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Wonderful review. I am overall pleased to hear about the battery life. That seems to be my next biggest focus when I get my next device. I'm looking at the Lumia 735, this phone, Note 4, or LG G3. I'm leaning towards the first three more than anything, more so than anything the note 4. But what I don't feel like doing is moving to another platform and having to restructure everything with contacts and messages and what not. That draw seems to be pulling me back to the 735 or this phone. I've always liked the design of the 720 and the 730 looks just as great with better specs. But an IR blaster sounds great right about now lol

Curious to know why you would stack the 735 ain't the top of the line G3 and note 4. I feel the icon/1520 would be better match?

Dizzymash

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
Try a prepaid WP

This is a reply to cckgz4 .

Try using a prepaid WP phone before jumping into a contract. This gives you the chance to make sure the apps you want/need are on the platform and a chance to play with the UI. The only app that I would like to see on WP is matching with friends. I've found 3rd party apps to fill my needs/wants if an official one is not in the store. My son has gotten a good bit of use out of the office apps on the phone for school.

I went from iPhone to the L920 and now the M8 Windows phone. I jumped to the M8 to support a different manufacture and it met all my needs/wants.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Re: Try a prepaid WP

This is a reply to cckgz4 .

Try using a prepaid WP phone before jumping into a contract. This gives you the chance to make sure the apps you want/need are on the platform and a chance to play with the UI. The only app that I would like to see on WP is matching with friends. I've found 3rd party apps to fill my needs/wants if an official one is not in the store. My son has gotten a good bit of use out of the office apps on the phone for school.

I went from iPhone to the L920 and now the M8 Windows phone. I jumped to the M8 to support a different manufacture and it met all my needs/wants.

Thank you for that, but I do own a 1020. I just need something with better specs (Battery size, and at least quad core). I'm about 85% happy with Windows ecosystem, but I need the hardware to match.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077