Why no SD support on the Icon

epyon52328

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
I've always loved the build quality of Lumia phone and am actually thinking about switching to WP when I'm able to ugrade (currently on a BlackBerry Q10). My only real issue with most flagship Lumias is that there is no SD card support. This is a big deal for me as I have a lot of PDF files and an SD card is a must on any phone I buy. So I ask why did Nokia not include a micro SD card slot on the Icon like they did on the 1520?

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
The 930 is basically an unbranded icon, that was built to Verizon specs. They didn't want sd support. Nokia released the 930 and never put it in. Shame as its nigh on perfect but that oversight is major. But then many people on this forum day they don't need it so to each their own. And the sales haven't been massive, so justifying a hardware change would be costly. At the least, wp should support usb otg - for the aforementioned pdf files. But no. If you are ok with the size, the 1520 is your best bet.

KoukiFC3S

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
The 920 & 925 also don't have an SD slot so we can't just blame Verizon.

Have you checked out the One M8 yet? It's a very nice device and has an SD slot.

Legoboyii

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
The 920 & 925 also don't have an SD slot so we can't just blame Verizon.

Have you checked out the One M8 yet? It's a very nice device and has an SD slot.

Meh, if Lumia branded apps are important to you don't consider it because you can't get them on an HTC phone. Otherwise yeah :p

I'm getting a Lumia 1520.3 when I upgrade from my 521

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm just saying the 930 is based on the Verizon design, specifically that phone only. Though they're not the only ones to blame, as you say. And yes, the htc m8 is a stonking good phone. Provided htc actually support it. Or the 1520!!!

AlexanderPD

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
because looks like Nokia doesn't like a "Real hero device", with all the good feature in it.

Also, all the high-end device (non phablet) don't have an SD card (Lumia 920, 925, 928, 930, Icon, 1020), and the real reason behind that is unknown. Maybe because slow sd can produce slow performance and dumb people can blame the phone to be slow? Maybe because an sd slot is *ugly*? I really want to know that too

​I dream the day when Nokia/MS will release a phone without stupid limit like this

Legoboyii

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
because looks like Nokia doesn't like a "Real hero device", with all the good feature in it.

Also, all the high-end device (non phablet) don't have an SD card (Lumia 920, 925, 928, 930, Icon, 1020), and the real reason behind that is unknown. Maybe because slow sd can produce slow performance and dumb people can blame the phone to be slow? Maybe because an sd slot is *ugly*? I really want to know that too

​I dream the day when Nokia/MS will release a phone without stupid limit like this

Nice save on non phablet. Since 1520 indeed has SD card support. And on eBay you could buy one for the price of a new 830 :p

Maybe the future 935/940 may bring SD support and 1030 which would greatly appreciate it for extra high quality image storage. Good luck though getting your hands on a cheap class 10 128 gig Micro SDXC

roberts1069

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
The only reason I have bought an Icon (well two actually), no SD support and no indication of when it will receive Windows Phone 8.1. I have looked at the M8 (Windows), but am leery of the camera. And every review I have read mentions some sort of "stuttering". Not sure if that is hardware related or related to 8.1 update.
I may just wait a little longer to see what becomes available closer to the holidays.

astell

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
I've been using an Icon since launch and haven't really seen a need for an SD card. It is rare that I am without service so I just store everything in OneDrive.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Yea, SD support is huge for me....I personally would not of gotten the ICON because of that...Long story but, the ICON didn't end up costing me anything due to a big screw up by Nokia...

The only way I will replace the ICON, is if Nokia makes another phone for Verizon that is as high end with a MicroSD slot.... 32gb is too tight, my 928 had 32gb and I upgrade to a ICON and I get the same amount of storage ? Not much for progress in that aspect...my 928 was always full and my ICON, I think I have 3gb free on it right now and only keep that much space because I am waiting for Cyan and worried about not enough space to install...

I agree totally, even look back to when the ICON was a rumor, I put up a lot of threads about MicroSD on the ICON...and still disappointed in it....Really nice phone, no question but, major disappointment on this aspect...

lparsons21

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Maybe the future 935/940 may bring SD support and 1030 which would greatly appreciate it for extra high quality image storage. Good luck though getting your hands on a cheap class 10 128 gig Micro SDXC

Not difficult at all, I bought 3 on ebay for about $20 each. Non-branded of course, but they work just fine so far.

Legoboyii

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Not difficult at all, I bought 3 on ebay for about $20 each. Non-branded of course, but they work just fine so far.

Well I meant branded, like SanDisk. With unbranded how will you know its class 10? Could be class 10 printed on it but it may be a class 4 or 6 card? :p

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
No SD card support is one of my few gripes about the Icon, and it's inexcusable for a flagship device. I sometimes work in bad/ no cell coverage, so cloud storage isn't an answer. The Icon has enough internal storage that I can get by, but I have to prioritize.
I moved over from a BlackBerry Q10 as well and the only other things I miss are more settings customization and the notification light.

OwenDL

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
As far as I'm concerned one of the only, and biggest, downsides to the Icon is no SD card support. I'm a huge music-nerd and have gigabytes and gigabytes of music, and I would have loved to put a 64GB sd card in my Icon. Having SD card support would have been a huge pro for this phone.

I haven't run into any problems with storage yet and have only used about 11G of music, but I know eventually I'll have to start worrying about storage management.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
It would be nice to have a SD card slot on the Icon... just not a show stopper for me. That was something I got used to when I originally traded in my GN2 for a 928. The upshot for me, is that it forces me to pay attention and do some house cleaning on my phone every so often.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Seriously can we just kill this thread ? This is one of those wonders if the world that just talking about it sort of ticks me off. How could Nokia Actually make a "HIGH END" model with out SD ? And don't say there is not room, there is PLENTY of room in this phone, they could of fit one if they wanted to with out making it much if ANY bigger.

There is really nothing we can do, no way to go backwards, if you want SD card in your phone, the HTC M8 with the sort of crappy camera will do (besides the camera, it is seems like a great phone). Or wait till Microsoft (it wont be Nokia by then) releases another high end model, that actually makes it to Verizon WITH SD....

Let's just close this thread....please ????????????????????????????????????????????

. Good luck though getting your hands on a cheap class 10 128 gig Micro SDXC

I have seen a BUNCH of class 10 128gb MicroSD cards from assorted Known places (not ebay knock offs) for around $100....$99.99 was the last one I saw...

Personally I think that is a great deal for something that size...

Kasey Pierce

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
With auto upload to One Drive and Nokia Mix Radio, i don't really need anymore than the allocated 27 GB of free space I have. When i got my Windows Phone, i did so to slim down and simplify, and i think the Icon is perfect for just that, but that's just me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos