Um, What do I do now?

chobo2

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi

Yesterday wss the magic 90th day and Rogers will now unlock my phone that I was unable to get unlocked by 3rd party. I phoned them up they took my money and gave me a code............and it does not work. I typed it in and I get "incorrect code", attempts goes down to 9. I type it again in and it gives me "sim error".

I popped in another sim card and did it again and typed it in and got "incorrect code" again and attempts goes down to 9(yes 9, everytime I reboot the phone it starts back at 10). I type it again in and it gives me "sim error".

They now told me to wait 24 to 72 hours as it might be system lag. That really does not make sense to me as I thought it was like at the hardware level the code.

I was looking online with that error and people say it refers to the wrong code being used and I seen other posts for other lumia devices with people saying their code was like 15 to 20 digits long, not 8 like mine is.

I just talked to first level support and they still are saying this is the right code, they said I should talk to unlocking department what I will do but he, thinks they will just refer me to Nokia????

Help

chobo2

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Yea, I go to phone them and see. I am at work so was just doing chat support that does not go higher than level 1. I also did Nokia chat support and said they have no access to any of the unlock codes.

Might do this all at a Rogers store, if I can make it before they close.

theotherskipper

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Chobo, good to hear that yer making some progress.
The guy I bought the phone from called Rogers and they said they can't find the imei. Rogers then contacted Nokia who said the same thing. This is messed up on so many levels.
Keep us posted on yer phone.

chobo2

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
The guy I bought the phone from called Rogers and they said they can't find the imei. Rogers then contacted Nokia who said the same thing. This is messed up on so many levels.

Wow, what did you do? I guess they have my iemi number but who knows what they did? Typed in the wrong code? I hope it works out....I really don't know to do if it does not, it's not like I can return it because I got it from the DVLUP program.

Sigh this is why locked phones should be illegal....they have contracts to protect themselves from giving away phones why do they need to have 2 levels other than for a money grab.

chobo2

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Well, I phoned stupid Rogers again as I heard nothing since yesterday, and that was they where still looking for the code and requested a new one what should be here today..................Now they told me the unlock code is for some other phone that I apparently own(quite a surprise to me, I did not know I had another phone...wonder where I put it). They then told me that my lumia 1020 was registered August 11th and I have to wait 90 days.

I told them um no, this is the phone I registered, it should be unlocked on September 7th and I have chat logs with support people on 2 different occasions confirming the imie that I have is on my account and I can send them the transaction logs and the logs itself if they want......then all of sudden the phone was magically past the 90 day point again and all was good.

But now they are telling me that they did another lookup with this imie of my phone and "not found" has come back.........now apparently I have to wait another 24 hours as its not gone to a supervisor who has made a request to find this imie..........

I am so close of just walking away from Windows Phone, I am so pissed off right now how much trouble this all is. I waited 92 days so far to use this phone, I been on a very crappy phone that if someone send me a equal sign via text the phone restarts. I want a proper phone and I ain't going to wait forever just to use Windows Phone no matter how much I like it.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site

First of all if you were sold the phone as unlocked then you have some leverage.

One way around this is to use one of the many unlock codes websites or a phone unlock shop if you don't want to go down the long winded route. Which involves getting the original purchase receipt from the previous buyer and the receipt for your purchase (presuming it was not a cash purchase), taking them both down to a rogers store for assistance.

The other alternative I guess is to go with the seller into a rogers store and get assistance that way?

Well, I phoned stupid Rogers again as I heard nothing since yesterday, and that was they where still looking for the code and requested a new one what should be here today..................Now they told me the unlock code is for some other phone that I apparently own(quite a surprise to me, I did not know I had another phone...wonder where I put it). They then told me that my lumia 1020 was registered August 11th and I have to wait 90 days.

I told them um no, this is the phone I registered, it should be unlocked on September 7th and I have chat logs with support people on 2 different occasions confirming the imie that I have is on my account and I can send them the transaction logs and the logs itself if they want......then all of sudden the phone was magically past the 90 day point again and all was good.

But now they are telling me that they did another lookup with this imie of my phone and "not found" has come back.........now apparently I have to wait another 24 hours as its not gone to a supervisor who has made a request to find this imie..........

I am so close of just walking away from Windows Phone, I am so pissed off right now how much trouble this all is. I waited 92 days so far to use this phone, I been on a very crappy phone that if someone send me a equal sign via text the phone restarts. I want a proper phone and I ain't going to wait forever just to use Windows Phone no matter how much I like it.

Just hang in there, the tech support from providers are always useless especially when your unlocking your phone or getting a PAC Code (Porting Authorisation Code, used for transferring numbers to another provider) as they just want to make your life miserable (I have been there and one of the many reasons I always buy sim unlocked phones and prior to my 920 they have always been 2nd hand+). Also I'm guessing that is what they probably gave you, as that is about 8 to 9 digits long.

chobo2

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
First of all if you were sold the phone as unlocked then you have some leverage.

One way around this is to use one of the many unlock codes websites or a phone unlock shop if you don't want to go down the long winded route. Which involves getting the original purchase receipt from the previous buyer and the receipt for your purchase (presuming it was not a cash purchase), taking them both down to a rogers store for assistance.

The other alternative I guess is to go with the seller into a rogers store and get assistance that way?

Just hang in there, the tech support from providers are always useless especially when your unlocking your phone or getting a PAC Code (Porting Authorisation Code, used for transferring numbers to another provider) as they just want to make your life miserable (I have been there and one of the many reasons I always buy sim unlocked phones and prior to my 920 they have always been 2nd hand+). Also I'm guessing that is what they probably gave you, as that is about 8 to 9 digits long.

I don't think going the 3rd party route for " theotherskipper" will work. Sounds like he has run into the same problem as me(maybe that lumia 1020 is from developer program as well). I tried for 90 days straight every 2 weeks different unlockers every one came back "not found". Of course he can try and I can recommend ones that are good as I got a refund on every attempt.

Next going to rogers with the receipt won't do ****. I brought in all my order papers in that DVLUP sent me proving that it was my phone and I owned it 100%. It did nothing, they told me I have to wait 90 days and it has to be on their network. The only way they would unlock it, if I would have bought it from the store directly, from my understanding even buying it from the Microsoft store outright would have been the same thing as buy from Craigslist and I would have to wait 90 days.

I contacted the CRTC and they said that only if I buy through them, they have to unlock immediately otherwise I have to follow the 90 day rule....what is such bs.

I have very little choice right now and to hang on, I paid them $56 to unlock it and have nothing to show it, if I sell it I am going to take a huge hit on it as not that many people are out to buy a lumia 1020 that is locked to Rogers for top dollar. I been watching CL and people seem to have trouble selling it for $350( I see people offer them $200 bucks for 10/10 condition).

That is a huge reason why I would not go with Windows Phone is they all are locked expect now for the lumia 1020(so I sell the lumia 1020 at loss to buy the same one...kinda stupid) and I would not buy used as I now heard too many stories with this blacklist crap where people by the phones used all is good and then 6 months later the phone is suddenly blacklisted and they now have a phone that does nothing.

I really like windows phone and I really want to use this phone so badly but I don't know how much more of this I can take.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I don't think going the 3rd party route for " theotherskipper" will work. Sounds like he has run into the same problem as me(maybe that lumia 1020 is from developer program as well). I tried for 90 days straight every 2 weeks different unlockers every one came back "not found". Of course he can try and I can recommend ones that are good as I got a refund on every attempt.

Next going to rogers with the receipt won't do ****. I brought in all my order papers in that DVLUP sent me proving that it was my phone and I owned it 100%. It did nothing, they told me I have to wait 90 days and it has to be on their network. The only way they would unlock it, if I would have bought it from the store directly, from my understanding even buying it from the Microsoft store outright would have been the same thing as buy from Craigslist and I would have to wait 90 days.

I contacted the CRTC and they said that only if I buy through them, they have to unlock immediately otherwise I have to follow the 90 day rule....what is such bs.

I have very little choice right now and to hang on, I paid them $56 to unlock it and have nothing to show it, if I sell it I am going to take a huge hit on it as not that many people are out to buy a lumia 1020 that is locked to Rogers for top dollar. I been watching CL and people seem to have trouble selling it for $350( I see people offer them $200 bucks for 10/10 condition).

That is a huge reason why I would not go with Windows Phone is they all are locked expect now for the lumia 1020(so I sell the lumia 1020 at loss to buy the same one...kinda stupid) and I would not buy used as I now heard too many stories with this blacklist crap where people by the phones used all is good and then 6 months later the phone is suddenly blacklisted and they now have a phone that does nothing.

I really like windows phone and I really want to use this phone so badly but I don't know how much more of this I can take.

Wow that is insane.. not to find code for two weeks straight and that is cheeky to class MS as a third party retailer, madness lol.

$56 dollars to unlock.. now that is a rip off though i guess it works out roughly the same as I heard people paying around ?20 to get their phones unlocked on EE. But 90 days?! I would have expected at least a month.. can't you get a prepaird rogers sim or something then that would meet their requirements of being "on" their network although I guess they would probably tie other criteria to that as well...

Also no one in their right mind would pay $350 dollars for a second hand phone, it is too much and the only phone I see going beyond that is a 64gb Iphone. In regards to blacklisting that is what some people do here as well and report the phone stolen, then claim it on the insurance. Fortunately insurance companies have become extremely stringent on claims now (well most).

The carriers in the US have way too much power.. when they really are facilitating communication between one user and another.

I guess your only solution would is to get a very low end WP and migrate the data over when you are able to unlock your 1020. (If the rogers pre-paid sim route is not a goer).

chobo2

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Wow that is insane.. not to find code for two weeks straight and that is cheeky to class MS as a third party retailer, madness lol.

$56 dollars to unlock.. now that is a rip off though i guess it works out roughly the same as I heard people paying around ?20 to get their phones unlocked on EE. But 90 days?! I would have expected at least a month.. can't you get a prepaird rogers sim or something then that would meet their requirements of being "on" their network although I guess they would probably tie other criteria to that as well...

Also no one in their right mind would pay $350 dollars for a second hand phone, it is too much and the only phone I see going beyond that is a 64gb Iphone. In regards to blacklisting that is what some people do here as well and report the phone stolen, then claim it on the insurance. Fortunately insurance companies have become extremely stringent on claims now (well most).

The carriers in the US have way too much power.. when they really are facilitating communication between one user and another.

I guess your only solution would is to get a very low end WP and migrate the data over when you are able to unlock your 1020. (If the rogers pre-paid sim route is not a goer).

Well if I could use 3rd party site, it would be about $15 USD to unlock. Yep 90 days, I had to go on prepaid for 90 days and they had to tie my imei number to that account, but I did not have to buy any service(this is what baffles me....they basically told me we want your money in 90 days from now till then we don't want anything from you).

$350 is almost 50% off the current retail price in Canada and many of them are still in the box never opened.........

With Rogers, I have waited the 90 days(now 93 days) and paid them $56 and gotten nothing but trouble so far.....will see what they say today as like I said yesterday they were trying to get my to wait another 90days. If it is not unlocked today I will start the CRTC process and hope that works but then I am looking at least another 30 days or longer till they decide and investigate who is in the wrong here.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I see and have to go prepaid for 90 days... what a con, basically they are hoping you end up having to spend some money in that period.. well that is what it sounds like to me.

$700 dollars off contract... damn didn't think was that expensive in Canada, I can understand if it was in Australia but Canada eash that is steep. $350 dollars make more sense now.

I had to look up what CRTC meant, sounds like that would probably the best way to go and at least is not 90 days.. I imagine you guys have something similar like the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 that is active in the UK (It won't be in Scotland anymore if they go independent). You would have grounds for at least reimbursement and possibly some compensation for the aggro. As they would be in breach, since they took your money, you complied with their terms and they are not keeping their end of the agreement.

chobo2

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I see and have to go prepaid for 90 days... what a con, basically they are hoping you end up having to spend some money in that period.. well that is what it sounds like to me.

$700 dollars off contract... damn didn't think was that expensive in Canada, I can understand if it was in Australia but Canada eash that is steep. $350 dollars make more sense now.

I had to look up what CRTC meant, sounds like that would probably the best way to go and at least is not 90 days.. I imagine you guys have something similar like the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 that is active in the UK (It won't be in Scotland anymore if they go independent). You would have grounds for at least reimbursement and possibly some compensation for the aggro. As they would be in breach, since they took your money, you complied with their terms and they are not keeping their end of the agreement.

oops sorry, it's actually $615 with taxes from MS store ($672 with taxes if you buy from Rogers outright....but not that they sell it unlocked I am not sure why you would buy it from them) for it. But still $350 for one in the box/hardly used for $350 is still a steal though they are locked to Rogers.

yea, the CRTC is probably the best way to go but it is government body and of course will be slow and who knows if they will side with me as they don't seem to be the smartest either. When I tried to complain about the 90days rule the first one was like nope you have to buy it from them to get it unlocked immediately.

The other one I phoned told me, Rogers never has to unlock it for me and I should be happy if they do, so I don't even know if they know their own rules as it clearly states

"to have your phone unlocked after 90 days, or immediately if you paid in full for your phone"

So yea, nothing but trouble......

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Have to ask, as its a dvlup phone does it have a Rogers rom or any of their apps installed? Aren't these dev phones normally carrier free? Seems to me this is technically not a Rogers phone and that's why no one seems able to unlock it, and I actually these phones were already unlocked.

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk

chobo2

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Have to ask, as its a dvlup phone does it have a Rogers rom or any of their apps installed? Aren't these dev phones normally carrier free? Seems to me this is technically not a Rogers phone and that's why no one seems able to unlock it, and I actually these phones were already unlocked.

They actually sent a Rogers phone, it has all the the Roger apps, in the "about" section it says the carrier is Rogers and any other sim other than Rogers gets rejected and requires unlocking code. I think because at the time it was a Roger/Telus exclusive in Canada that they had to give them away locked to one of those carriers.

I don't understand though why they still give them away as locked now they sell them unlocked....

I talked to Rogers and basically they found out(from Nokia???) that their was some bug or something that made many lumia 1020 phones not have the right imie number and that now they have to rebuild it or something like that to generate a working code but that will take till Monday.........

So I guess I am waiting till Monday now. Their story does check out a bit as I remember talking to a unlocker and he told me his success rate for lumia 1020's was like 50%.

Hopefully by Monday, this will all be over and done with.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
They actually sent a Rogers phone, it has all the the Roger apps, in the "about" section it says the carrier is Rogers and any other sim other than Rogers gets rejected and requires unlocking code. I think because at the time it was a Roger/Telus exclusive in Canada that they had to give them away locked to one of those carriers.

I don't understand though why they still give them away as locked now they sell them unlocked....

I talked to Rogers and basically they found out(from Nokia???) that their was some bug or something that made many lumia 1020 phones not have the right imie number and that now they have to rebuild it or something like that to generate a working code but that will take till Monday.........

So I guess I am waiting till Monday now. Their story does check out a bit as I remember talking to a unlocker and he told me his success rate for lumia 1020's was like 50%.

Ok, that makes sense. Hope it does get sorted as they claim. Its really strange how WP devices with such low marketshare seem to have the most restrictions, you would think they wouldnt care enough to lock these phones to one carrier (unless you're att, of course).

chobo2

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Ok, that makes sense. Hope it does get sorted as they claim. Its really strange how WP devices with such low marketshare seem to have the most restrictions, you would think they wouldnt care enough to lock these phones to one carrier (unless you're att, of course).

This is exactly what I am thinking and said so many times. No Windows Phone should be locked, sales people are not pushing it in the stores so it is up to the windows phone community to recommend it to friends but how can we do that when so many carriers don't carry a windows phone(at least in Canada).

For instance with Wind Mobile, which does not carry any Windows Phone model anymore. If I know anyone who is on Wind and looking for a new phone I cannot recommend them a WP as what should I tell them? "Buy from Rogers, go through all the trouble of unlocking and pay them $56 and wait a couple weeks till they figure out how to unlock it"?

Plus on top of it many WP do not work with Wind Mobile(needs AWS) what baffles me as MS strategy is to go after the low end market, so to me it would just make sense to try to sell to people on low cost carriers as they probably want a cheap phone....

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
oops sorry, it's actually $615 with taxes from MS store ($672 with taxes if you buy from Rogers outright....but not that they sell it unlocked I am not sure why you would buy it from them) for it. But still $350 for one in the box/hardly used for $350 is still a steal though they are locked to Rogers.

yea, the CRTC is probably the best way to go but it is government body and of course will be slow and who knows if they will side with me as they don't seem to be the smartest either. When I tried to complain about the 90days rule the first one was like nope you have to buy it from them to get it unlocked immediately.

The other one I phoned told me, Rogers never has to unlock it for me and I should be happy if they do, so I don't even know if they know their own rules as it clearly states

"to have your phone unlocked after 90 days, or immediately if you paid in full for your phone"

So yea, nothing but trouble......
Oh I see, I would say $300 to $350 dollars in that case the latter being the top end of the bracket.

Wow, that is crazy... looks like first level support is no different be it tech support or government body lol..

0.0 incorrect imei??????????

Under about windows phone does your MEID or IMS fields contain any numbers?

Also do you have any sort of cellular reception on your phone as you said you had a pre-paid rogers sim in it.

If you do have reception and you have no IMS or MEID number then I would be shocked lol, as without a correct IMEI number your phone won't even connect to cellular network.

IMEI: International Mobile Station Equipment Identity (this is usually how carriers blacklist phones when they are reported stolen, they bar the IMEI from authenticating on the cellular network)
MEID: Mobile equipment identifier (predominately used for CDMA phones / equipment)
IMS: IP Multimedia Subsystem (basically a framework / architecture for UMTS / other networks)

Once unlocked and you find you have no network what so ever, contact Nokia directly for a replacement as Rogers have confirmed via Nokia about this bug for the IMEI number. Personally I would have Rogers put this in writing to you via email or letter so they can't back track, on the flipside if you are getting cellular coverage currently then theoretically speaking you should not have any problems once unlocked.

Hopefully on Monday you will have no further problems, fingers crossed!.

chobo2

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Oh I see, I would say $300 to $350 dollars in that case the latter being the top end of the bracket.

Wow, that is crazy... looks like first level support is no different be it tech support or government body lol..

0.0 incorrect imei??????????

Under about windows phone does your MEID or IMS fields contain any numbers?

Also do you have any sort of cellular reception on your phone as you said you had a pre-paid rogers sim in it.

If you do have reception and you have no IMS or MEID number then I would be shocked lol, as without a correct IMEI number your phone won't even connect to cellular network.

IMEI: International Mobile Station Equipment Identity (this is usually how carriers blacklist phones when they are reported stolen, they bar the IMEI from authenticating on the cellular network)
MEID: Mobile equipment identifier (predominately used for CDMA phones / equipment)
IMS: IP Multimedia Subsystem (basically a framework / architecture for UMTS / other networks)

Once unlocked and you find you have no network what so ever, contact Nokia directly for a replacement as Rogers have confirmed via Nokia about this bug for the IMEI number. Personally I would have Rogers put this in writing to you via email or letter so they can't back track, on the flipside if you are getting cellular coverage currently then theoretically speaking you should not have any problems once unlocked.

Hopefully on Monday you will have no further problems, fingers crossed!.

My phone has a

MAC address,
MDN
IMEI
SIM ID

MEID is blank and IMS: is not registered.

I do get full bars when I put in my sim card.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
My phone has a

MAC address,
MDN
IMEI
SIM ID

MEID is blank and IMS: is not registered.

I do get full bars when I put in my sim card.

I see, in that case you should be fine however it would be best to make sure you can get incoming calls or can dial out once unlocked.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion