Hard reset

KAKADU2001

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Hi

My wife has a Nokia 1020 that is on the Virgin Mobile Network UK. It has been unlocked as it was previously with Vodaphone UK.

The phone was previously my daughters and some of the apps are all over the place.

If I do a hard reset will it revert the phone to factory state ie will it still have Windows Operating system on it. Also will this include all of the pre-installed Windows and Nokia apps. Will the phone still work without having to re-install all of the Windows and Nokia apps?

There are no photos on the phone yet so there is no personal data that my wife is bothered about losing. There are also no apps other than the Windows and Nokia ones on the phone and some Vodaphone stuff.

Also a hard reset will allow my wife to set up a new Windows Live account.

I think that the phone is running 8.1 which was updated via the phones updated option.

Another reason that I would like to do a hard reset is to get rid of the Vodaphone stuff as I don't want to try and root the phone.

Regards

John

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I'll give you a hand here.

First, hard resetting the phone will put it back to factory settings, it completely wipes everything on the phone. If you're putting a new MS account on it will be a fresh phone.

There is no way to put another OS on WP so you'll only get WP on WP. You also cannot root WP as it's a fairly secure OS. Keep in mind you have a Windows Phone OS, not Windows.

When you go through the initial parts of setting up the phone after the reset you have the option to setup WiFi, I highly recommend this as it will ensure you get the latest version of the apps and updates for the phone.

All the Nokia apps should be installed after hard reset, but even if they are not there you can still download them from the Store. If you plan to use HERE Maps and Drive be sure to download the UK maps to the phone as it makes life a lot easier.

As for the Vodafone part. The Vodafone apps are easy to uninstall. You simply long press on the app and tap uninstall. The Vodafone apps will be on the phone after a hard reset but like I said, easily uninstalled. The carriers do not have any ability to modify WP OS so the apps are just that, apps. If there is a Vodafone splash screen it will probably have to stay unless you feel like flashing another ROM onto the phone.

During setup you can create a new MS account or you can create one prior to setting up the phone. Be sure to remember the password as everything related to the phone will be locked to that account. All backups, contacts and so on. If you forget the password you could lose a lot.

Hope that helps.

Also, here's a link - Resetting your Windows Phone 8.1 | Windows Phone How-to (United Kingdom)

Cheers!

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
nlarue, can you please compare/contrast the About vs. button reset options in your link. Specifically, do they both wipe the phone equally? Thanks.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
nlarue, can you please compare/contrast the About vs. button reset options in your link. Specifically, do they both wipe the phone equally? Thanks.

The first one is the one you want. Settings -> About -> Reset phone - This will wipe the phone completely clean. All data is gone.

If you want to start really fresh you can use Nokia Software Recovery Tool - FAQ - FAQ - How can I recover/reset/restore my phone software? - Nokia - UK

This will install a fresh version of the firmware wiping the old one on the phone which sometimes isn't a bad idea.

The other is simply what is known as a 'soft reset' or similar to a battery pull. No data erased.

The one after that is when things go wrong and your phone is unresponsive with a '!' sitting on the screen. I never had to do this but it doesn't appear to erase data.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans