Htc 8x on Verizon and the 8.1 update

joe_easton

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Any word on the 8.1 Update 1 DP for the 8X? I know there was a firmware issue that they were working on but that has been at least a month ago.

anjenaire

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
It's getting pretty late in October. Where is the update for the HTC 8X? Has anyone received this update from Verizon? I am seriously considering changing Carriers after this lack of support and issues with the cell service at my home location (used to be rock solid and now is difficult to even receive signal in some parts of the house and never in 4G LTE). Battery life is starting to suffer (probably due to searching for network all the time) so I am thinking about asking Santa for a new phone for Christmas

RonZimmerman

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I talked to a Verizon tech rep level 2 yesterday. He said he has no information on when 8.1 will be released and they normally tell him when it is within a month. He said it is under testing.:eck:

joe_easton

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
My upgrade is due in mid December, I can't leave VZW so I guess the HTC one is my only option. At least 8.1 comes on it out of the box

gibbyhome

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Is there any new news on the 8.1 update for HTC 8X for Verizon ? this is crazy that we get nothing until its released, I assume this will keep us on Verizon if we just don't know ...

KevinM1

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
According to HTC's site, it's in Stage 3 - Certification, which means that HTC has the update, has tweaked it to work on the 8X, and is waiting for Verizon to either give the okay and push it, or for them to send it back to HTC for further tweaking. Unfortunately, it's been in Stage 3 for about a month now, so who knows if/when it'll get past that point.

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Nothing new from HTC USA twitter feeds...same stock answer...
Last Q/A on 8X update wp8.1 issue on 12/31/2014
-------------------------------
Allen Foster ‏@allen_foster ? Dec 30
@HTCUSA When is the Verizon HTC8X getting the 8.1 update? It has been way too long!

HTC USAVerified account
‏@HTCUSA @allen_foster We don't have any news to share at this time, please keep checking back for updates.

12:34 AM - 31 Dec 2014
------------------------------

And of course NOTHING from Verizon.....at all.

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
1/07/15
Today Verizon dropped the HTC 8X from its website sales site (along with all remaining Lumias). Only 2 Windows phones are listed: HTC One M8 for Windows and the Samsung ATIV.
Verizon website - Windows phones listings:
Windows Smartphones - Verizon Wireless

Wcentral has an article on the Verizon move, here:
Verizon appears to pull all Lumia phones from site, halts sales | Windows Central

The phones listed for-sale today at Verizon include:
26 Android
6 Apple iOS
5 Blackberry OS
2 Windows

REALLY Verizon?????
This is beyond poor management and into the realm of stupidity.
Ya know...I really don't need Verizon's network THAT bad. I have two phones that are contract-free now (waiting for a Windows flagship to buy). Maybe it's time to go month to month elsewhere, if I have to go non-windows phone. The coverage issue no longer justifies this crap. If nothing else, there'll be a LOT more jingle in my pocket.
[/rant]

clindhartsen

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Looking at HTC's site tonight, it appears the update is probably still coming, but getting Verizon or HTC to tweet any specifics is difficult. Weird performance issues after the latest developer build have me hoping it's coming.

KevinM1

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Looking at HTC's site tonight, it appears the update is probably still coming, but getting Verizon or HTC to tweet any specifics is difficult. Weird performance issues after the latest developer build have me hoping it's coming.

Eh, the 8.1 update has been in Stage 3 since at least early December, if not earlier. I'm not holding my breath.

skinholt

Jan 27, 2015
Visit site
I was told yesterday by HTC is that 8.1 failed in Stage 3 testing. HTC is not getting the upgrade....ever. I'm getting a Lumina.

Last edited:

nmercy

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
At this point I doubt it will get an official release of 8.1 update, but owning one as my main device, the developer preview version works fine on it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss