Lumia 930 pentile display, how bad is it compared to rgb

Alecsandru Andrei

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
I just got the lumia 930 2 months ago and now I discovered that the display is actually pentile display and it has fewer pixels. How bad is this? The display has an 1080p resolution but it should look worse than an 1080p ips. How was your experience with the display?
The only downfall that I noticed so far is that the display is a bit grainy but maybe I am nitpicking here.

Suedezu

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Alecsandru, I've have been using a yellow Lumia 920 for more than a year and a half and just recently switched to the 930. If I was to name one reason for 920 users to switch to the 930 that reason would be the screen.

I think the 930's screen is plain gorgeous. I love the wow factor of the 1080p resolution, the fact that the colors are not over saturated like on Samsung's flagship phone and the added contrast which fits perfectly with the WP UI.

jack_faust

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
ppi is at 441 so far I haven't noticed any 'graininess' but suspect I would if I compared it to a 1520. All in all I really like the display, the gorilla glass 3, closeness to the the glass and oleophobic coating all add up to a great viewing experience.

dannejanne

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
The 1080p resolution will hide the negativ sides of pentile pretty well. It won't look as sharp as an LCD with 1080p though. Also the Galaxy nexus has a much older Amoled screen with pentile and has lower resolution so the sharpness won't suffer on the 930 as it did on the Nexus.

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
The 1080p resolution will hide the negativ sides of pentile pretty well. It won't look as sharp as an LCD with 1080p though. Also the Galaxy nexus has a much older Amoled screen with pentile and has lower resolution so the sharpness won't suffer on the 930 as it did on the Nexus.

Yes, all valid points. AMOLED has come a long way since the GNex! But other than the subpixel movearound, the regular pros and cons of Pentile are still there.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it, OP. With the extremely high pixel density + CBD the display is quite the looker (displayer? :p). I'm sure you'll love it regardless of pentile.

dannejanne

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Yes, all valid points. AMOLED has come a long way since the GNex! But other than the subpixel movearound, the regular pros and cons of Pentile are still there.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it, OP. With the extremely high pixel density + CBD the display is quite the looker (displayer? :p). I'm sure you'll love it regardless of pentile.

Yeah it's nothing to worry about at all really with 1080p and 5" screen. I have an LG G-Flex and it has 6" Amoled screen with "just" 720p. It also looks pretty sharp though because it has RGB. Granted if it was pentile it would look horrible in that size and resolution.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett