Got my 1020 Camera grip. Awesome.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Well, we arrived in Halifax yesterday. I went to black's to see about getting a camera grip for my 1020. Not having much hope they even had one. The manager came out with one they had since the 1020 came out and it was just sitting there. I was expecting to pay 80 bucks plus. The manager came back after a quick phone call and said I have great news, we are closing the store on Oct 12th and we are supposed to destroy this stuff that is left at the store level. I got my grip for free! I am so happy. Unfortunately I cannot recommend the store as they won't be around anymore. But I scored a great deal!

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Its a chain in Canada. They are feeling the sting of the internet I guess. The store has been there since I have been coming to Halifax. So I am surprised they are closing. Same with the sony stores. Everyone is buying online now.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Dmitri, it's useful:
a) you can hold the 1020 as a camera and it feels more secure when snapping
b) it adds extra battery life
c) you can hack it as I did to add filters: Add filters to your Lumia 1020 (or Nokia 808) :)

Something I've discovered is that, when the 1020 is in the camera grip, if you plug the USB cable between a PC and the grip, you access the 1020 as if the cable was plugged directly to the 1020. Nice feature, it means you can copy pictures (to make space on the phone) without removing the 1020 from the grip.

chernee99

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Dmitri, it's useful:
a) you can hold the 1020 as a camera and it feels more secure when snapping
b) it adds extra battery life
c) you can hack it as I did to add filters: :)

Something I've discovered is that, when the 1020 is in the camera grip, if you plug the USB cable between a PC and the grip, you access the 1020 as if the cable was plugged directly to the 1020. Nice feature, it means you can copy pictures (to make space on the phone) without removing the 1020 from the grip.

Yes, you can use the camera grip almost like a permanent case with extra battery. For taking pictures, the grip does help a lot - you can take your shot with confidence even single-handed and in a variety of different angles/positions which could have been slippery or awkward to hold without the camera grip. Furthermore, you can even let the phone stand upright or place it horizontally on a flat surface. This could be useful for taking long exposure shots.

chernee99

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The downside though, is that charging the phone seems slower with the camera grip on. It will charge the phone first and after that the camera grip will be charged. Also, you will not be able to place the phone properly face up as the bottom will be much higher. I don't find the extra thickness to be a big issue though, still very much pocketable.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Just taking photos with the grip mounted is awesome. The battery feature is just a bonus. It makes the phone into an amazing camera.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes