Successor for the 1520

LeeWarner

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I was just wondering if anyone has a gut feeling on whether Microsoft will have a successor to the 1520 out in the next 5-6 months? When I got my 1520 back in February, I signed up for the 12 month Next program with AT&T figuring a top-end windows phone would come out at least yearly. With no announcements that I can find, I'm starting to worry that February will roll around and my 1520 will still be king of the hill.

My feeling is that with the low to mid range lumias that have been recently announced, we're getting to the end of what Nokia had in its pipeline before the Microsoft acquisition. It's bringing back some memories for me of when HP bought Palm and the Pre missed an entire hardware cycle and then died off. I'm not saying that's entirely the case here as Microsoft is obviously much better equipped to deal with this than HP was, just straight up buying a phone maker and not having any direction. What do you guys and gals think?

TenTwelve

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Admittedly I am itching for a new phone (I upgrade every year in or around the 4th quarter). I am curious if there is going to be another large flag ship being released in the near future. I've got to say the iPhone 6 Plus and watch are looking mighty enticing. I only left iPhone when the 5 came out because Iwas unhappy with the screen size.

Uppgrayedd

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I was just wondering if anyone has a gut feeling on whether Microsoft will have a successor to the 1520 out in the next 5-6 months? When I got my 1520 back in February, I signed up for the 12 month Next program with AT&T figuring a top-end windows phone would come out at least yearly. With no announcements that I can find, I'm starting to worry that February will roll around and my 1520 will still be king of the hill.

My feeling is that with the low to mid range lumias that have been recently announced, we're getting to the end of what Nokia had in its pipeline before the Microsoft acquisition. It's bringing back some memories for me of when HP bought Palm and the Pre missed an entire hardware cycle and then died off. I'm not saying that's entirely the case here as Microsoft is obviously much better equipped to deal with this than HP was, just straight up buying a phone maker and not having any direction. What do you guys and gals think?

I think a successor will come but has been delayed because of Windows 9/ threshold, where i believe they try and merge the phone OS and desktop. So i think it will launch the high end handsets when this happens. another reason could be to wait for the final Lumia name transition to happen where the phones will now be called Microsoft Lumia. This happens early 2015. So i think thats when new handsets will come in. Nomore should be released between now and then. my theory

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I don't understand why there needs to be a 1520 successor. It stills beats any Windows phone available today. That's a fact. 1080p display, quad core cpu, 20 mp camera, 5.1 audio recording... So what's missing? Absolutely nothing!!! It's a beast of a device. Even stacked against the very latest Androids and the iPhone 6, it kicks ***!!!!

fbales

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Is there any chance Microsoft makes a Lumia 1520 type phone with a stylus a la Galaxy Note 4? For me, that would be the perfect phone.

lovenokia

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I have an upgrade this November, and I really want to upgrade to the snapdragon 805, and the Samsung galaxy note 4 is really starting to look attractive. I hope Microsoft is able to give us the hardware early, and just update the software later on. I really hope they do what they did last year, and give us the hardware before the software. There have been no rumors about the 1520 successor, and I have a feeling it just will not be coming this year. Knowing I have an upgrade, and nothing to upgrade to will be quite frustrating, oh well.

Gaurav Pareek

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
They should make Lumia 1520 Jr. instead with more or less same features... Not necessarily a successor is supposed to be bigger, if something goes bigger than Nokia Lumia 1520, it becomes a monitor :confused:

lovenokia

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
They could keep the same screen size, but decrease the bezels, upgrade the camera and give it a snapdragon 805 with micro usb 3.0 and call it a day and keep everything else the same, even the design.

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
They could keep the same screen size, but decrease the bezels, upgrade the camera and give it a snapdragon 805 with micro usb 3.0 and call it a day and keep everything else the same, even the design.

The design is really what they need to change it as well. If they can produce one with all the features you mentioned plus rounded corners like the M8. You got a winner!

TenTwelve

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
There needs to be a successor. Samsung, HTC, Motorola and Apple don't rest on their laurels and stay content with the status quo Microsoft shouldn't either. If you want Microsoft and in turn Windows (phone) to gain market share and give other OSs a run for their money (and gain developer interest & support) there has to be a better flag-ship every year. Most consumers want the bigger and better admittedly me included. I've sold my 1520 and I have a iPhone 6+ on it's way. I know the 6 is not revolutionary but, it's incremental changes in conjunction with what I consider an excellent wearable coming make it very desirable.

Ludovico Cossignani

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
now that i'm on 6 inches nothing could bring me to a smaller smartphone, so if i thought to take another one NOTE 4 would be my first choice, but till next year (at least March/April) i'll love 1520 so much!:grin:

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
1530(1520 successor) should not be larger than 6". I have 1320 & I am very happy with it, but surely I don't want a more bigger phone.
1520 successor should come soon, as for many of them now 1520 has become old with the launch of iPhone 6/6+, note 4/edge etc.
Hope to see another beast soon

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
The RT/WP merge won't happen early 2015.. more like mid 2015. The desktop enterprise preview is due by the end of this month, then another consumer oriented preview is due early 2015, and then... maybe we will get the final product in spring/early summer.

They could release a flagship that can be upgraded to threshold .. nothing is stopping them. If they need a "hero" device to go along with the launch.. they can choose between a fablet or a camera flagship.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
The RT/WP merge won't happen early 2015.. more like mid 2015. The desktop enterprise preview is due by the end of this month, then another consumer oriented preview is due early 2015, and then... maybe we will get the final product in spring/early summer.

They could release a flagship that can be upgraded to threshold .. nothing is stopping them. If they need a "hero" device to go along with the launch.. they can choose between a fablet or a camera flagship.

omegafiler

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm all about new and improved devices. But with 8.1 cyan the 1520 feels like a new phone to me! I'm really liking it.

I don't see a higher spec phone doing much for me right now, other than costing more. Especially considering how cheap you can find excellent used 1520s on eBay, Swappa, and CL right now.

Although I'm facing the same conclusion with my android devices too. It's going to take lot to impress me enough to throw down $600 to $800 on a new toy, regardless of who makes it. :)

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm all about new and improved devices. But with 8.1 cyan the 1520 feels like a new phone to me! I'm really liking it.

I don't see a higher spec phone doing much for me right now, other than costing more. Especially considering how cheap you can find excellent used 1520s on eBay, Swappa, and CL right now.

Although I'm facing the same conclusion with my android devices too. It's going to take lot to impress me enough to throw down $600 to $800 on a new toy, regardless of who makes it. :)

Yes, you are right, as long as I get all the updates on my 1320, no way I'll change my phone, but there's always a limit of supporting an old phone, hence we need to buy a new one

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I think a successor will come but has been delayed because of Windows 9/ threshold, where i believe they try and merge the phone OS and desktop. So i think it will launch the high end handsets when this happens. another reason could be to wait for the final Lumia name transition to happen where the phones will now be called Microsoft Lumia. This happens early 2015. So i think thats when new handsets will come in. Nomore should be released between now and then. my theory

Windows 9 will come by end of Q1 2015. That's a long wait for a new flagship device specially for those, who are disappointed with the camera of 930

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb