Unfortunate Event and Lumia 920 users: Do we need to upgrade?

John Hayne Lyde

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I bought a Nokia Lumia 920 last year (May 2013) from a retailer with very poor after sales services. I cannot change my phone due to their 7-day replacement policy. My unit is one of those that have "spinning cogs" problem and they can't fix it. So I thought my one month old Lumia is nothing but a paperweight. After calling me that they can't fix it (Nokia Service Center told them that it was a PCB issue and I need to pay $300 for a replacement) and they want me to take my defective phone from them, I never bothered. Why would I want a paperweight phone anyway and I won't pay that price anymore for a buggy unit.

Fast forward to September 2014, they still keep bugging me to get it, so to close off my relationship to them, I took it back. But out of curiosity, I plugged the unit in a charger and boom! It opened! No more spinning cogs! In my excitement, I downloaded the Nokia Software recovery and updated the phone to 8.1 and it's been a week with no problems whatsoever (Therefore, I now know that this is just a software glitch and not a hardware one)

So I have my almost 2-year old phone with only more than a month of usage. I plan to buy a new phone but when I got this back, it is technically brand new and I think even if this is already 2 years old, I only held it for just more than a month. It's sad that I will never experience the "Flagship" feeling even if I did pay its full price when it was released but my question is: Is it still okay for me (or for us 920 users) to use this for the next two years? I can see that this phone is still in the market so I believe we can still expect support for this in a couple of years, bit I am just afraid I might be wrong.

I just want to use it since I paid for it, but I am kinda afraid that this phone won't get updates, app support and stuff by next year.....

Aresjr21

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
I would say yes for the most part. I think the only thing the L920 is missing out on is the new sensor core abilities that newer Lumia devices will/currently have. I currently have the 920 as well and I plan on keeping the device for possibly another year or two unless the new HTC One can really sway me but I doubt. I say stay with the 920 until you see a new device you really want.

alanianm

Mar 21, 2014
Visit site
It does meet my requirement, however, what I wanted to know is if MS will still give support to it in the near future.

Congrats on getting it working again OP! :)

As to your question, whilst I don't know how long MS will support the 920 for in the future, and I reckon it will be for quite sometime, until such time as they stop, or my 920 stops working or doesn't fulfill my requirements, I will keep using it.

aikidaves

May 21, 2014
Visit site
It does meet my requirement, however, what I wanted to know is if MS will still give support to it in the near future.

We are supposed to get any updates released for WP 8.1. It isn't yet clear whether we'll get the Threshold version, 9.0 or whatever they decide to call it, although I personally think it's pretty likely. Beyond that, I have no idea.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa