Verizon Icon and 8.1

xrcrx

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
Received a replacement Icon after shattering the screen on mine and waiting over 2 weeks for a replacement because one was not available. I was offered an Ativ but refused it, i really like the Icon.
I had gone to the Microsoft store a few days ago and was told that 8.1 had started rolling out and my replacement phone should get the update when i set it up. WRONG !
Called Verizon and talked to a seemingly very knowledgable and thorough tech about it. With the M8 out and the push for sales, there is no date and no hurry in updating our Icons , she said there was absolutely no info available at all . Makes it look like the Verizon Icon has stalled while the 930 and the overseas crowd gets 8.1, Cortana, etc... Really disappointed.
I went to the MS Store again and discussed the developer version of 8.1 but all they could give me was a website to register on and the app to use. I'm a bit worried about screwing up the phone first off, and when i tried to find a the free registration , they all want 19.99 or somesuch to register, even after trying multiple different links., registration versions.
So, still digging the OS but a bit irritated. If you have any constructive and simple input for a non programming type like me feel free to share if the developer version really is safe and relatively seamless. -and any one from Verizon reading this : WTH, roll it out already ! No good excuse not to be done with it !

xrcrx

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
The LTE is awesome as is the area coverage, but the support is sadly lacking.. I ran 2 laptops running WoW at Ultra settings off my Icons Internet sharing without issue, 50=fps on both , the phone and LTE rock, that's what keeps me with Verizon. Really don;t think the others are much better in any way and Sprint and T Mobile lack the coverage

PAC757

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
The LTE is awesome as is the area coverage, but the support is sadly lacking.. I ran 2 laptops running WoW at Ultra settings off my Icons Internet sharing without issue, 50=fps on both , the phone and LTE rock, that's what keeps me with Verizon. Really don;t think the others are much better in any way and Sprint and T Mobile lack the coverage

I guess what kind of coverage you get in your area, where I work and live, AT&T is just a little better than Verizon, but we are forced to use Verizon for our company phones, and were not allowed to mess with the software, so I am just waiting on Cyan / 8.1.

anon(9047871)

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
discussed the developer version of 8.1 but all they could give me was a website to register on and the app to use. I'm a bit worried about screwing up the phone first off, and when i tried to find a the free registration , they all want 19.99 or somesuch to register, even after trying multiple different links., registration versions

I updated my recently acquired Icon to WP 8.1 DP and haven't experienced any issues after upgrading. If you go to http://dev.windows.com/en-us/develop/devpreview and select Option 2: Build apps using App Studio under Step 1, you can register for free.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I hope you realize that FPS has nothing to do with internet speed. The latency does. You could be on satellite with 5000 MS and get 200+ FPS with the right hardware. Having using verizon LTE myself as my main internet for about a year before comcast came to my area, I was impressed though. I got about 70ms. This isn't bad at all considering I used to play at 200ms on a previous cable service.

xrcrx

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
I was see 45-55 on that particular night. My cable runs about 75-85 which surprised me. i expected my shared internet from the phone to be less capable than my cable.
Also,Vancevep, thanks for the link and info on doing the developer 8.1

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon