Difference between power+volume+camera button reset vs. settings reset?

rusty_sim

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi

I'm having major issues with my touchscreen with lumia cyan. Is there a difference between the power+volume+camera buttons reset and the settings->about->reset my phone? What state will each option take my phone to?

Thanks

Torcher Death

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Power + Volume down = Soft Reset which is the equivalent of removing & reinserting the battery.

Settings > About > Reset your phone = Hard Reset which takes your phone back to factory settings.

rusty_sim

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Power + Volume down = Soft Reset which is the equivalent of removing & reinserting the battery.

Settings > About > Reset your phone = Hard Reset which takes your phone back to factory settings.

Thanks Torcher would the following be the same as Settings > About > Reset your phone ie. a factory reset?

tech_nokia_lumia_800-hardreset.jpg

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Torcher would the following be the same as Settings > About > Reset your phone ie. a factory reset?
View attachment 80897

Yes, that is a different way of doing the exact same thing.

There are two types of resets which are known by many different names, which can be confusing:

soft reset, reboot and restart are all the same thing, and equivalent to removing and replacing the battery, or doing ctrl-alt-delete on a PC. The important thing is that this doesn't delete anything on your device. This is achieved in two ways:

- shutting the device off and then restarting
- press and hold power + volume-down buttons.

hard reset and factory reset are also the same thing, although the later is a bit of a misnomer because if your device left the factory with WP8.0, and you have since upgraded to WP8.1, this won't take you back to WP8.0. This just deletes everything on your device, including apps, but excluding the OS. This can also be achieved in two ways:

- settings>about>reset menu
- press and hold power + volume-down buttons + camera buttons

Last edited:

rusty_sim

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Thanks a5cent makes a lot of sense. Is there any way to go back to Lumia Black? 8.1 isn't causing me pain (I used to be on DP 8.1.1), Cyan is

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Yes, that is possible, but before you attempt that, try doing a hard reset first (if you use an SD card, save anything you want to keep to your PC first, then format your SD card before reinserting it. Also, don't use WP's backup feature). Some people have found this to resolve some of the issues that were discovered (particularly battery problems and overheating) after upgrading to WP8.1.

That can't hurt, because downgrading to WP8.0/Black will also wipe all data and apps off your device.

rusty_sim

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi a5cent I did a hard reset but the screen issue still remains. I believe it's because I replaced my original digitizer with a cheap one, which the Cyan firmware doesn't like, however it ran ok on Amber and semi-ok on Black. If possible, how can I revert back to Amber or Black?

rusty_sim

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi a5cent

I've tried both NaviFirm and NSC's download package manager and unfortunately only the Cyan firmware is available to download and flash. I've tried different product codes too :unhappysweat:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett