considering upgrade to L1520 (or it's successor?)

QuentinJ

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I've been using WP and the Microsoft ecosystem for a while and really like it. I gave my 8X to my sister and currently use a L630 Dual sim.
Looking back at phone sizes, they have gradually increased and I was considering 930 (but not glance...) with 5" screen or skip ahead a bit and go straight to 6" with the L1520 which has very good specs I believe or maybe wait for 1525/1530 (Gorilla Glass 3, aluminium design similar to 930/830?).

Anyways, I read a lot here on WPCentral about the 1520.3 model that is supposed to be the best one (includes Qi charging and maybe some other features that some US carriers have removed).
I live in Europe (either in Germany or Ireland) and I was wondering if someone could tell me if I were to purchase one here from Microsoftstore.com/Amazon/Ebay, would it be that "superior" 1520.3 variant, or is this not something in Europe and the European model includes all the features?
Finally, can anyone tell me if the 1520 has SensorCore (I find the pedometer (step counter) on L630 useful and was wondering if it had it as well)?

Thanks for the help!

EDIT: I'm also open to suggestions for upgrades, there is no hurry for me to upgrade right now so I can wait for possible future Lumias/WP but here are a few things I'd like:
- Physical/Hardware camera button (what I miss the most on 630)
- FFC (for Skype, 720p or 1080p is enough I don't need 5MP)
- MicroSD expansion
- Glance/double tap to wake would be nice features to have
- "Hey Cortana" would also be nice
- Wireless charging built in (had that on my HP Pre3 and I really miss it, plus that new wireless charging plate shown at IFA with the light looks very good)
(- I keep wishing for a dual sim flagship...)
So far I think that fits the 1520. But I'm thinking an upgrade may bring Gorilla Glass 3 (may solve the tap/scroll issue with the large screen?) and possibly removable battery/cover to be able to change it's colour (no dual sim on 830, not going to happen with 1525/30).
Let me know of other options you can think of and whether or not you think I should wait for a possible upgrade.
Thanks again!

Last edited:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Stop... Don't get 1520.3 RM-938. Unless you don't want LTE speeds.

You want RM-937 (World Version) for the correct LTE Classes (1, 3, 7, 8, 20) to operate in Germany/Ireland. Just ran it down...

Otherwise all the same advantages apply to both and either is Factory Unlocked.

My 1520.3 has 8.1 + Cyan already. I have Motion Sensor and all sensor core advances will implement with 1520's chipset (all models).

List of LTE networks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

QuentinJ

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, read about 1520.3 but wasn't sure what the international/world version was so thanks for the clarification.
Any 1520 I get here would be RM-937 (say from a phone operator or amazon UK/DE)
Thanks again for the reply, that was quick :)

Edit - sorry, last question: sensorcore being in the 1520, I can use all the features that come with it including step counter (in bing health and fitness)?
And does it work on 11n 5ghz WiFi? (no 11ac atm for me)

Last edited:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Just be sure to ask for RM-937... That should be the one available in your region anyway. Watch for prices too much lower than everyone else. That usually means out of region or some other switch. If it seems too good to be true it probably is.

Step counter is working for me right now... Some things from sensor core are not coming until Denim firmware. I don't have "Hey Cortana."

All 1520 models support WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual channel and WiFi HotSpot.

QuentinJ

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Will make sure to ask.
I know Hey Cortana is not available until Denim, but I know 1520 will be amongst the first handsets to support it.

I think a faster camera might be better than 41MP considering my use for the camera. I did consider getting the 1020 but at the time as I was moving between countries and needed to get an unlocked phone without contract...
As for 2k screen, the 1080p screen of the 1520 gives 368dpi which is enough not to see individual pixels when holding the phone 30cm away (if I remember correctly). I'm sure in a few years 1080p will be low-range phones but for now, I'd rather save on the battery life, although it could be one of the upgrades in the 1520 refresh.

Anyways, thanks for the help guys and depending on when/if a successor is announced for the 1520, it seems like my next upgrade :) (RM-937 of course ;) )

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6