Charger Output... Why the slow charge?

M Reno

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
My new HTC One (m8) Windows/Verizon phone was taking a long time to charge.

I purposely purchase chargers that output at least 2.1A per channel, and am careful about the cables, so I was puzzled.

I noticed the ?Warn if slow charge? setting, and enabled it. As you suspect, the warning popped up as soon as I plugged it in.

I thought perhaps it might be the cable, so I retrieved the HTC charger, used my cable, and it worked fine (no warning). I found the original HTC cable, used it with my charger(s), and it ?failed?? slow charge warning. I then tried 3 other chargers -- from different manufacturers, all with the same specs -- and had the same results.

The specs on the HTC charger say the output is 5V=1.5A.

My chargers (and I?ve tested this with several) have output of 5V=2.1A

So what gives? Any ideas?

HTC Charging.jpg

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
No idea, although I posted a thread about a charger observation I had made.(http://forums.windowscentral.com/htc-one-m8-windows/311130-interesting-charger-observation.html) I'm using an old generic charger that outputs 800ma. So somewhat less than yours and it does indeed charge slow, but seems to be a benefit IMO as it also then discharges a lot slower. If I use the OEM HTC charger it charges quite a bit faster but also discharges faster. So was wondering if a slow or trickle type charge is better for maintaining the charge. I always charge overnite. BTW from around 20% battery remaining my generic takes about 4 to 5 hours to fully charge. The OEM does it in 1.5 hours.

Chubbynaga

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
That's interesting. I just purchased my One 2 days ago and noticed the HTC charger is so slow. I keep using my battery pack that output 2.1a instead. But I also noticed the discharge is fast too. So its consistent with your observations.

drufranco

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
No idea, although I posted a thread about a charger observation I had made.(Interesting Charger Observation - Windows Central Forums) I'm using an old generic charger that outputs 800ma. So somewhat less than yours and it does indeed charge slow, but seems to be a benefit IMO as it also then discharges a lot slower.

I have found this to be true as well, I just plug it in at work or evening and let the slow charge go but then a get a battery life on average of 2.5 to 3 days. I usually plug it in for a charge around 30 to 35 percent left so I actually could get more out of it.
I have noticed I get a fast charge with the car adapter but that is just a default Verizon one that I got with the packaged accessories...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb