L830 - Hump or no hump?

The Lard

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
OK, so I'm still thinking I may well pick up an 830 when I can find a good price, but a couple of things I'm still not clear on.

1. Firstly, I don't like the idea of a wobbly phone when it's laying on its back. Got a 920 at the moment (flat back, or no hump at least) and can't help but feel that a hump would annoy me.

Now, in the below hands-on video at ~0:35 Daniel specifically mentions that the 830 has no hump and even turns the phone to show this:

Nokia Lumia 830 hands-on - YouTube

and the below shot from digitalversus.com seems to corroborate that:

http://img1.lesnumeriques.com/news/35/35849/prise-en-main-nokia-lumia-830_1.jpg

In fact, from both of these examples it would seem that the camera housing is actually recessed slightly into the back of the rear cover, and the cover itself looks completely flat around this area.

However - the below photo is one of many I've seen that appears to tell a different story:

Here's the metal-edged, PureView Nokia Lumia 830 (pictures) - CNET - Page 10

And even the official renders make it look like the phone has a distinct hump - check the side view here (most obvious with the black variant selected):

Nokia Lumia 830 Smartphone d?bloqu? 4G (Ecran : 5 pouces: Amazon.fr: High-tech

So what's going on here?

2. Also, from what I can tell thin plastic surround that the 920 has around the screen is not present on the 830 - hoping this is the case anyway! Anyone confirm/deny this?

On a slightly different subject I've noticed that on some of the official renders the screen has been made to look bigger than it is relative the rest of the phone - bit cheeky! Definitely if you compare where the edge of the tiles line up with the antenna lines in these two images:

Nokia Lumia 830 Specifications - Nokia
http://www.media-lemondenumerique.com/upload/images/2014/09/Nokia_Lumia_830_IFA2014.jpg

I've done a bit of cut-and-pasting/scaling to prove it's not just a trick of the eye, and it's not by a huge amount but the tiles on the Nokia render are definitely wider making it appear to have less bezel than it does. Intentional? Naughty marketing people!

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Typically my answer to the question posed in the subject line is "yes." Too bad for context.

Not that there isn't any hump what-so-ever, but I think whatever effects of the hump on the 830 would be negligible. As far as I can tell, the "hump" comes from the area immediately surrounding the camera lens housing (on the back cover). Not the housing itself. I have a Lumia 1520, whose camera bump is larger than the one on the 830, and the phone doesn't wobble at all on its back, so I can't imagine the 830 would.

Last edited:

The Lard

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
Not that there isn't any hump what-so-ever, but I think whatever effects of the hump on the 830 would be negligible. As far as I can tell, the "hump" comes from the area immediately surrounding the camera lens housing (on the back cover). Not the housing itself. I have a Lumia 1520, whose camera bump is larger than the one on the 830, and the phone doesn't wobble at all on its back, so I can't imagine the 830 would.

That's reassuring. I just find it odd, those images look completely contradictory.

Looking at those Vietnam pics it does look like the camera housing is elevated slightly, and that the back cover has a very slight gradient around the edge to allow for it. I'm sure as you say it's probably not enough to be noticeable when it's on a flat surface.

The Lard

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
Dude in a different thread just posted this. It's much clearer to me now what the back is like:

?“аджеТ?‹:обзо?€ бизнес-модели Nokia Lumia 830 на с?‚енде Nokia на в?‹с?‚авке IFA 2014 Berlin - YouTube

It's easier to see on the black one I think. TBH I think cameras are a bit thrown by the semi-neon tones of the orange and green one versions - certainly no screens that I use are able to replicate the colour faithfully. I saw a green 930 in real life the other day and couldn't believe how bright it was. Tasteful orange I was up for but not sure I want a roadworks phone! Might have to be boring and go for the black or white instead.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
It's easier to see on the black one I think. TBH I think cameras are a bit thrown by the semi-neon tones of the orange and green one versions - certainly no screens that I use are able to replicate the colour faithfully. I saw a green 930 in real life the other day and couldn't believe how bright it was. Tasteful orange I was up for but not sure I want a roadworks phone! Might have to be boring and go for the black or white instead.

Well the beauty of the 830, unlike it's older sibling, is that it's designed to easily swap back covers. Get every color if you want! I'm thinking of doing so :D

The Lard

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
Well the beauty of the 830, unlike it's older sibling, is that it's designed to easily swap back covers. Get every color if you want! I'm thinking of doing so :D

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting that! Duh :eek:)

And better yet, I just had a quick look and even the covers with Qi aren't quite as expensive as I thought they might be. Great, so conservative black for the office and day-glo orange for the weekend! And maybe even white for Sunday best?

I'm intrigued to see some mixing and matching between the silver/black metal edging and the various back colours too, ? la this.

Could be interesting!

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Oh yeah, I keep forgetting that! Duh :eek:)

And better yet, I just had a quick look and even the covers with Qi aren't quite as expensive as I thought they might be. Great, so conservative black for the office and day-glo orange for the weekend! And maybe even white for Sunday best?

I'm intrigued to see some mixing and matching between the silver/black metal edging and the various back colours too, ? la this.

Could be interesting!

That's the only color dilemma for me... I feel like the black looks best with the darker gunmetal grey chassis. The rest look best with the lighter silver color. But of course, we can only swap back covers, not the chassis. I'll be ordering one with the lighter silver, even if that means I'll have to do without LTE here in the U.S., since AT&T's press shot only showed the phone with the darker metal option and they're the only carrier thus far that has announced it would carry the Lumia 830.

#FirstWorldProblems

The Lard

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
#FirstWorldProblems

Ha, indeed!

What, so you'll sacrifice LTE to have the silver one? Pretty sucky all the messing about you guys have with different carriers/bands etc over there, especially with carriers ripping out Qi and such. I can buy any phone I want and regardless of which carrier it originally came from I can unlock it and use it on my network (assuming the codes are available). And since they don't generally bother with the logo-stamping on the hardware here any more, if I also flash the firmware with a CV ROM I've got myself an unlocked, unbranded phone. After all, physically they're all the same.

I say that, thinking about it Vodafone does have an exclusive 32GB variant of the 925. I'm actually looking into picking one of them up for a friend at the mo, that will be flashed and unlocked to work on O2.

I reckon I'll go for the silver 830 too over the black, though it's a close thing. I'm not sure the white back would look right on the dark phone, and I quite like the white back. Also my 920 is black, as was my HD7 (or dark grey at least), so a light phone would make a nice change.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Ha, indeed!

What, so you'll sacrifice LTE to have the silver one? Pretty sucky all the messing about you guys have with different carriers/bands etc over there, especially with carriers ripping out Qi and such. I can buy any phone I want and regardless of which carrier it originally came from I can unlock it and use it on my network (assuming the codes are available). And since they don't generally bother with the logo-stamping on the hardware here any more, if I also flash the firmware with a CV ROM I've got myself an unlocked, unbranded phone. After all, physically they're all the same.

I say that, thinking about it Vodafone does have an exclusive 32GB variant of the 925. I'm actually looking into picking one of them up for a friend at the mo, that will be flashed and unlocked to work on O2.

I reckon I'll go for the silver 830 too over the black, though it's a close thing. I'm not sure the white back would look right on the dark phone, and I quite like the white back. Also my 920 is black, as was my HD7 (or dark grey at least), so a light phone would make a nice change.

Sigh... yup, "land of the free." Except when it comes to cell phones apparently. You're lucky you have your choice of any Lumia, unbranded and with full LTE compatibility. I currently have that with my Lumia 1520.3 (RM-938 variant... full LTE, 32GB, and built-in Qi... screw you AT&T!), but it appears that at least the first batch of internationally available Lumia 830s will not be compatible with U.S. LTE bands.

If the phone (with the lighter metal chassis) is released here later on I could just pick that up and sell the international, LTE-less one. It's a hassle but what can ya do?

I had black and grey phones for years too before going with yellow for the first time with my 920 in 2012. You won't regret it! Especially since you can swap out backs anyway. Lumia aesthetics are just too great to be camouflaged by conservative black. I really think the color of my Lumia 920 and and 1520 contributes to people noticing the phone and complimenting how sleek the design is. Not sure they'd notice if it was black.

And I agree with going with the lighter metal band. Also, FWIW, I've seen plenty of black Lumia Icons (ostensibly the 930) on display here in the States and a few of them had some barely noticeable scratches on the black metal chassis. You could tell the black is painted on as opposed to the lighter metal color. I don't know if that'll be a risk with the 830 as well (though the metal on the black 830 is more of a dark grey than a black like the 930), but it's something to keep in mind when choosing colors.

The Lard

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I think I'm definitely sold on silver if the black is just a coating.

I did kinda like some of the bolder colours but I think they're mostly gloss, right? On the 920 at least. Not so keen on gloss. And it does look pretty damn sleek in black.

I really wanted a 720 at one point just cos of the aesthetics, that's a lovely looking phone. 1520 too, but too big for my liking. Wasn't sure about the 930 at first but that styling has grown on me and I think the 830 looks great, possibly even better than the 930 does. Looking forward to seeing what it feels like in the hand too since it's thinner than both the 920 and 930.

It's interesting also the way they seem to be pushing not only last year's flagship features but also designs down to lower price points, i.e. 900/920 styling in the 730/735 (I thought it was odd at first that the dual-SIM 730 is the standard and the 735 the variant, model number-wise, but then I guess that just reflects the focus of their current strategy, emerging markets etc.)

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I totally agree... the 720 was a beauty. The 1520 is a looker as well, but as you said... just a little bit ginormous. I'm not sure if you were asking about the 830's colors, but they're all in a matte finish. I prefer that over glossy as well.

Quantos

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
I actually think that the first picture you linked does show a bit of a hump. It is quite hard to see because of the color of the back, but if you look at the immediate right of the camera house, you can see that the orange is slightly lighter, which indicates it is very slightly raised.

Also, concerning the size of the screen: keep in mind that the tiles on the screen do not actually reach the extremities of the screen; there's a small padding. The renders where the tiles do reach the extremities of the screen are probably created to show the full width of the screen lit up, which is what it would look like when viewing media, for instance.

The Lard

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
Also, concerning the size of the screen: keep in mind that the tiles on the screen do not actually reach the extremities of the screen; there's a small padding. The renders where the tiles do reach the extremities of the screen are probably created to show the full width of the screen lit up, which is what it would look like when viewing media, for instance.

Yes but it's not showing what it looks like viewing media, it's showing what it looks like displaying the start screen. Except that's not what it would look like displaying the start screen, the tiles would be be smaller - if only marginally - and that's misleading.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium