Randomly losing cellular data connection

c0wb0ycliche

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Tried a new sim and a sim tray (HTC support said that after my response of "this doesn't have safe mode...")

I used to work at Best Buy so getting both was easier to just go grab there.

But same issue persists. It reconnects to the network, but the OS doesn't see a data connection.

c0wb0ycliche

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Possible fix! (though it is too soon to say conclusively)

I manually added an apn, which is blank except the apn field which says "internet."

I've gotten through three nights in places I've usually had problems without losing my connection.

This is also with Wi-Fi sense and global mode on.

I'll know more definitively in a week or two, but it's worth having others try and see if this is a possible fix.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Just noticed today I lost LTE in a great signal area. It happened while off WiFi and playing a game that required internet. It could be this has been happening previously and I just never noticed. I'm going to be more observant now. A reboot fixed it. I've already had the settings all tweaked as suggested in this thread except roaming. I've now changed that and will keep an eye on things. Love the ONE and hope this doesn't get progressively worse over time. We'll see I suppose.
I'm projecting now, but if this becomes to much of an issue and the ICON is not an option, had one already, what does a WP fan do? Verizon has nothing else. Apple is not any kind of option at all IMO, so Android? Been there done that, but at least they have a selection of devices to chose from.. Gonna take it a day at a time right now and see how it goes. MY GF says I always "over think" things. LOL.

So really, why stay? :angry:
Here is perhaps a better question to my Windows Phone loving brothers and sisters: why have you stayed on WP?
I'd been using android pretty exclusively since soon after it became available and only recently tried WP when the ICON was released, then switched to the M8 currently. If this data loss problem becomes to annoying I would consider going back to android (maybe). Possibly a break from WP until MS gets their collective crap a little more together with updates like 10 on the way at some point. I really like the OS as it is even, but being on Verizon you either have the retired ICON with maybe no cyan or denim or the M8 and that's really it with nothing really on the horizon. Android always seems to have a new device coming along. The Sony Z3v looks interesting as well as others. Meanwhile any newer MS and WP offerings on the Verizon horizon are non existent even with the biggest sales time of the year right around the corner. I'll keep rocking the M8 and see how it goes, but with no WP'scoming along if my M8 F's up I'd be more or less forced back to android which might not be a bad thing. I sure do miss google maps(especially every time I fire up "here drive" LOL) as well as a ton of other apps I've paid for over the years I can't even use on WP.

Last edited:

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Well I spoke too soon. Lost data again today.

Ugh.
I disabled data roaming as I don't really see the point in having it enabled anyway right now and I've not lost any data connection so far. If it happens again tho I'm going to be paying better attention and try some different fixes other than rebooting. One thing I've noticed the couple of times it lost data I was playing a scrabble game. So wondering if this is my link. Will be noticing more next time if there be a next time.(not hopefully)

epyon9283

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
Lost data again today. :angry:

Was playing around with the cellular+sim settings, disabling and enabling roaming, the data connection, mode selection under sim settings. Nothing was helping. What's more frustrating is that MMS was working the whole time (which shows there was at least some data connectivity). Finally I tried cycling the wifi connection and the cell signal shows an airplane icon momentarily before the phone rebooted itself. Awesome.

After the reboot wifi showed as being off but was actually on (showing signal). Even better. I really wish I was within the return window on this POS.

Contacted HTC support via live chat a few days ago and they wanted me to calibrate the battery. Seriously?

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
In that you are rebooting when losing data, I am going to point the finger at the tower in your area. I've seen this more than once with other phones when a tower is sending something (I dunno,a dirty signal?) that causes radio interface layers to crash on some phones.

This is a critical error for any cellphone or OS, so it ends up rebooting to restart it. There is no other way to regain signal when the crash happens other than reboot.

A telltale sign is when it goes to airplane mode right before rebooting.

This would also explain why its happening to all of your M8s.

c0wb0ycliche

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
It isn't a reboot, is that cellular data just stops working. You can have full LTE signal bars, make phone calls and get texts (and MMS) but no internet. It's 100% a bug with this device, not a general cell phone issue.

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
It isn't a reboot, is that cellular data just stops working. You can have full LTE signal bars, make phone calls and get texts (and MMS) but no internet. It's 100% a bug with this device, not a general cell phone issue.

Read his other posts. He does reboot.

Also, I don't have this issue, so if it a bug, you would think it would affect everyone the same.

Last edited:

epyon9283

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
I manually have to reboot to get data back. The phone doesn't normally reboot itself.

This does appear to be a bug as I'm on both my second phone and second sim with the same issue. I called HTC last night and they wanted to have Verizon re-provision my account (lol) before they'd do anything. Called Verizon who did that and asked me to keep wifi off today to see if the issue reoccurred. It did. I've been without working data for the last hour and a half.

c0wb0ycliche

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I got a call from HTC yesterday after tweeting about issue (funny how that works.)

They said (as has been echoed in the reboot thread) that the reboot issue is known, and sometimes affected the data service, but that it self corrected when the phone reset. There is a maintenance update coming soon that addresses the reboot issue but not the data loss issue specifically. But we can hope that they are related and it fixes both.

In the meantime, they are replacing my phone, with a brand new one.
I had to pay $30 for shipping (including sending mine back once I get new one) which seemed reasonable and better than Verizon's refurb option.

I'll post after testing new device.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I got a call from HTC yesterday after tweeting about issue (funny how that works.)

They said (as has been echoed in the reboot thread) that the reboot issue is known, and sometimes affected the data service, but that it self corrected when the phone reset. There is a maintenance update coming soon that addresses the reboot issue but not the data loss issue specifically. But we can hope that they are related and it fixes both.

In the meantime, they are replacing my phone, with a brand new one.
I had to pay $30 for shipping (including sending mine back once I get new one) which seemed reasonable and better than Verizon's refurb option.

I'll post after testing new device.
Sounds like pretty good HTC support to me. So many say otherwise.:smile:

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
Glad they are swapping it out for you... I had a mystery thought though... Did VZW have you try manually setting the internet APN?

c0wb0ycliche

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
So I got the new device and have used for about a week.

Initially everything was great, no reboots or data loss for a few days.

Then I got both, 2 restarts (one of which was most likely related to syncing Band for the first time) and 1 day where I lost data.

So I guess it's just a bug and we need to wait for an update.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
It's been mentioned having to many live tiles on screen as a possible cause among other things. You probably saw those posts. Just thinking out loud here. That apply at all?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro