1 Month on and Loving this Phone...RIP Icon

jiovine

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I've been using the M8 for just over a month and enjoying every minute of it. I've held onto my ICON waiting for Verizon to release CYAN and see if it corrects some of the annoyances of Utilizing DP -- battery drain, long delay awaking from sleep. But the M8 exceeds all of my expectations by delivering an impressive 8.1 Experience with great processing speed, incredible battery life, sexy design and a ton of after market accessories that are readily available.

As most people I thought inferior camera, questionable HTC support, lack of wireless charging. HTC has exceeded my expectation with a battery the puts the ICON to shame and thus no need for wireless charging. I was lucky to get a full day of battery out of the ICON with 45 Mins of phone time and email. Even in idle state the ICON burned through battery as a feverous pace. The M8 easily makes it through 2days before needed a charge. Taking pictures is a breeze with the M8 as there is no lag launching the camera and app. Shutter speed is quick and allows to capture pictures back to back which is important to me as I take candids and need the app available fast. I missed every opportunity to capture the moment with the ICON & 1020 dues to the lag from pressing the dedicated camera button.

I was leary to step away from Nokia but thus far all that has gone away. Icon will be posted in 4Sale Section shortly..

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Cool!
Had a chance to look at the M8 the other day.

What a nice phone!...very very impressive I thought.

It almost looks like a handheld jewel.
It's one of those phones that deserves to be seen and not hidden with a cover.

Glad you're all smiles!

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
OP, agree with all you said. I sold my icon after only 2 days after getting the M8 as I knew id never go back. Ive always been a big Nokia fan since the early days, but heck its what works for you that trumps brand loyalty every time. While I do love the camera on the M8 for its quickness and the photos are very good, probably in a head to head photo shoot the icon will always take the better photo, but hey when I add up the other pluses the M8 seems a win/win. Very happy with it.

Cool!
Had a chance to look at the M8 the other day.

What a nice phone!...very very impressive I thought.

It almost looks like a handheld jewel.
It's one of those phones that deserves to be seen and not hidden with a cover.
This phone is a jewel, but so slippery I had to go with a minimal soft , flat black shell case. Just enough to reduce slippage, not hide its beauty. Not dropping this gem if I can help it. :smile:

raiinman

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I am waiting for it to come to Tmobile. It sure will be an upgrade from my Lumia 925. Hope M8 sells tons which will be good news for WP platform and maybe with its success other Companies can bring their top of line Droid hardware to Windows

RichHowerton

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I too agree, really nice phone, Cortana and 8.1 are fantastic. I keep my icon for when I want to take some really good photos, but for most everyday snaps, the HTC camera suffices.

Also nice is the 128gb micro sd card I have installed tons of videos and music, and still have 100gb left...the DOT VIEW cover is pretty cool too.

matfantastic

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
OP, agree with all you said. I sold my icon after only 2 days after getting the M8 as I knew id never go back. Ive always been a big Nokia fan since the early days, but heck its what works for you that trumps brand loyalty every time. While I do love the camera on the M8 for its quickness and the photos are very good, probably in a head to head photo shoot the icon will always take the better photo, but hey when I add up the other pluses the M8 seems a win/win. Very happy with it.

This phone is a jewel, but so slippery I had to go with a minimal soft , flat black shell case. Just enough to reduce slippage, not hide its beauty. Not dropping this gem if I can help it. :smile:

Try the dot view case. I have the blue one and I love it!

jiovine

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Haha I'm the same way though I would get an icon if it was on att because the hardware is beautiful and because it is Lumia.

I have Icon and M8...IMO M8 has the edge performance wise. I switched to Verizon to get the Icon... no cyan love so went to the M8. No regrets thus far.

matfantastic

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
I used the Icon for several months, but the ugly design and poor battery life pushed me to the One (M8). Couldn't be happier I love this phone!

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I have Icon and M8...IMO M8 has the edge performance wise. I switched to Verizon to get the Icon... no cyan love so went to the M8. No regrets thus far.

I'd never leave the Lumia line unless Microsoft somehow butchered it and then it is back to iPhone land for me since I loved my iPhone 6 :) I refuse to use/support any other OEMs phones for windows phone at this point and time.(well I do support those low end manufacturers who are doing good things with the low end) Especially since now all we have is....sigh the HTC one m8....such a slap in the face really, imo. I wish Microsoft would release the 930 for those aka the majority looking for a new Lumia even though it is old but still.

It's a nice phone, the m8 though. Sadly made by HTC a company who has yet to prove they are worth much aside from making an attractive phone with some cool speakers lol

matfantastic

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
I'd never leave the Lumia line unless Microsoft somehow butchered it and then it is back to iPhone land for me since I loved my iPhone 6 :) I refuse to use/support any other OEMs phones for windows phone at this point and time.(well I do support those low end manufacturers who are doing good things with the low end) Especially since now all we have is....sigh the HTC one m8....such a slap in the face really, imo. I wish Microsoft would release the 930 for those aka the majority looking for a new Lumia even though it is old but still.

It's a nice phone, the m8 though. Sadly made by HTC a company who has yet to prove they are worth much aside from making an attractive phone with some cool speakers lol
HTC continues to support Windows Phone when others have left. Yes updates don't come as often but they make beautiful devices that work. Love my One and my 8X.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
HTC continues to support Windows Phone when others have left. Yes updates don't come as often but they make beautiful devices that work. Love my One and my 8X.

HTC continues to release phones with very little differentiation. When Samsung does better than you on a platform when you have equal footing vs android, you're doing something wrong

I will give credit where credit is due....at least this time, despite it being a rehash of a phone they are already known for with android, they at least added features like their speakers and the ir blaster and the sd card.

Still...it's still a vanilla windows phone experience and given the debacle the HTC 8x and other devices had and their track record with updates...ehhh I have little faith in HTC :)
And the Lumia experience is what solidified the OS for me :) when HTC does half of what Nokia did then I can consider them relevant.

I consider the one the super attractive model who is good looking but beyond it, there is really nothing amazing about her aside from superficial qualities vs Lumia is a more all around package :)

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site

matfantastic

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
HTC continues to release phones with very little differentiation. When Samsung does better than you on a platform when you have equal footing vs android, you're doing something wrong

I will give credit where credit is due....at least this time, despite it being a rehash of a phone they are already known for with android, they at least added features like their speakers and the ir blaster and the sd card.

Still...it's still a vanilla windows phone experience and given the debacle the HTC 8x and other devices had and their track record with updates...ehhh I have little faith in HTC :)
And the Lumia experience is what solidified the OS for me :) when HTC does half of what Nokia did then I can consider them relevant.

I consider the one the super attractive model who is good looking but beyond it, there is really nothing amazing about her aside from superficial qualities vs Lumia is a more all around package :)

I would hardly call the updates for the 8X a "debacle". And as for them releasing an android phone with WP on it, no problem here. This phone is very different from the run of the mill Nokia due to its amazing hardware. Also, they should be commended for releasing a flagship with 32gb AND micro SD that's not 6+ inches (1520). As for your point of Samsung vs. HTC, most would agree HTC makes the better device but Samsung spends billions on marketing, hence everyone has a darn Samsung. Not being as successful as your competitors doesn't mean you make bad products. See: Windows Phone ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss