Dear Microsoft...

Darkwolf70

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
For the last year and a half, I have loved my Nokia Lumia 920 on AT&T. I left the iPhone behind, because I didn't like the way Apple seemed to be taking over my life. IOS seemed very strict and restrained. I tried Android for a bit, with a HTC One+. I loved the hardware, but Android was too "loosey-goosey" with too many options, and I had trouble finding apps that weren't trash, that did what I wanted (especially email). So, I went to my local AT&T store and came across my Lumia 920, flagship at the time. It did what I wanted, and did not lock me in to it's whims. It was fast, powerful, had a great camera and did what I wanted. I got it in matte cyan, and loved the color. I have liked most of the updates to firmware and OS (Music seems to be headed in the wrong direction, but that is another post).

As new phones have come out, 1020, 1520, they each had things I appreciated and wanted. When AT&T forced Nokia to offer the 1520 without Qi recharging, and due to its size, I decided not to upgrade early. I figured that this winter, when my contract is up, I'd buy the new flagship (McLaren), but my hopes were dashed when it was cancelled. I had hoped that the purchase of Nokia would add some energy to product development, but the only things I have heard about are about mod-range phones. The HTC m8 may be an option, in December when my contract is up, but I really was hoping to stay with Nokia Microsoft. Now the new iPhone 6 is out, and it has the bigger screen I want. And faster processor. And it plays well with most automotive systems (My Ford Touch in particular, which didn't play well with my windows phone, even though it was "powered by Microsoft").

All I am asking is for a flagship Windows Phone, 5" screen, wireless charging, great camera, for AT&T and all the bells and whistles of Cyan, Denim, and Threshold...by December. Please, let me know if my hopes are in vain, and I will sadly make plans to sell mu soul back to the Apple company store. But please give me SOME news about an upcoming flagship. Even a rumor.

Please.

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the same boat, waiting for a proper successor to the 920. I'm hoping it's either the 930 or something better because the 830 just doesn't cut it and the 1520 is way too large.

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the same boat, waiting for a proper successor to the 920. I'm hoping it's either the 930 or something better because the 830 just doesn't cut it and the 1520 is way too large.

Microsoft has not paid enough attention to when their older phones (Nokia's) where released, and have proper replacements ready in two years when the average update is available for mist of us. I know their was an acquisition to take into, you you cant tell me Nokia didn't have things ready for these periods.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I don't think Microsoft really cares about any schedule we might want them to have. They work on their own schedule like they always have. Once they have something to say, they say it. Right now, post Nokia acquisition, they have nothing new for us in the phone division. My guess is, we'll have some excitement in 2015. But IMHO, 2014 is done.

Nokia5110

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
Coming soon, blockbuster featuring Thresh Old, Windows & Microsoft on the sidelines we have booted Nokia employees cheering on. Coming soon to a store near you; how many in Africa, Asia, Australasia, European and of course sa? Hold on you will not regret this one , directed by selop the mole!

TopDownDriver

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
Came here looking for an answer to the same question. Have loved my Lumia 920 and was glad to have it. Tried the iPhone as of the IPhone 2 and did not care for it. Went yesterday to try the new ones - nope, still don't care for it. Too restrictive and silly. Like the apps, hate the phone (bought an iPad).

However, started looking into the Samsung Note 4 and the Edge. Exactly what I was looking for. Why can't Microsoft have something to compete with these but in a slightly smaller form factor (5.2" let's say)?

I need a quality phone that leads the pack. Nothing Microsoft has now is in that category. The 920 was when it was released, but that was two years ago. I would love to be able to run more apps (why is Windows Phone always left in the cold with regards to apps?). I have been a long-time Windows Phone user from the early CE days - now I may become an Android user?!?!? Please help stop me!

TopDownDriver

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
I'll agree that there are a lot of bad apps, but there is just as high a percentage of crud in the Windows Phone Store.

Problem is that when an app comes out I need (to control my garage door opener, music, digital SLR, etc.) it comes out both on Android and IOS. Microsoft hasn't even made a dent. This is disheartening, and may force me to change, especially if the Galaxy Note Edge is as impressive as I think it is going to be.

havok13888

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I love nokia for what it offered me. A great camera, powerful phone that was almost indestructible compared to the other on the market. I still can't find a phone on any other OS as good as the 920 in terms of taking punishment. And obviously I'm talking about non ruggedized phones.

My contract is up this year and I was hoping for an upgrade to the 920. Sadly it looks like that is not happening. I mean even if you guys don't have a phone for this year but have a new flagship for early 2015 I will wait but you have to let this information lose otherwise none of the original 920 users are going to wait.

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I got the 920 on release day. I got sick of Microsoft's lack of support and effort to improve the OS(*cough* Portico), the terribleness of the camera and the general crappiness of apps in the WP store. I moved on once I saw Microsoft didn't take things seriously and never seemed to make any progress. It's really disheartening when a company you want to succeed doesn't seem to want it as much as you do. Good luck and I hope you find a phone that fits you and most of all you find it in WP. :)

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
This thread is sad but true. Honestly the reason there not making them..... It's because carriers aren't either buying them or requesting them....... I'm sure if carriers are wanting WPs OEM would make them including Microsoft.......... Not good!

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
To be honest I like my 1520. Does everything I need it to. Love the size, powerful enough for me, hardly play games but when I do it copes, takes great pics, best phone I ever had. Still see some people with an iphone and think "how do you cope with such small screens" I have wireless charging but don't have a wireless charger...feel its a gimmick. After all how can you use the phone when it needs charging on a wireless adaptor. People want to much and not happy with what they have. I have no reason personally to want a better phone. 1080p screen is perfect for me.

DHHSMichael

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I liked this thread yesterday because it was extremely true, but today my 920's display met the concrete, and didn't come out victorious. They need a true flagship, not an "affordable flagship," but something that can go right up against the late 2014 devices. Unfortunately, that doesn't exist yet, especially on AT&T.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos