Nokia Lumia 1520 versus iPhone 6 in GPU test

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Interesting. Let me ask you, what kind of benchmark would a smart phone need to have to run the games and most apps currently available on smart phones?

jnjroach

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
It depends on the Game, platform type like Angry Birds not much, but Modern Combat or HALO Spartan Assault or FIFA Soccer does need decent GPU performance, what I thought was more telling is that Windows seems to be more efficient than Android using very similar SoC's....

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
My 1520 normally is very good at any game requiring a decent Graphic Card, FIFA and Asphalt in particular. However, since the last DP update games are unplayable and performances are heavily affected. Waiting for the next update. However, before this little "en route incident" with DP, the phone was really really good at games.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
It depends on the Game, platform type like Angry Birds not much, but Modern Combat or HALO Spartan Assault or FIFA Soccer does need decent GPU performance, what I thought was more telling is that Windows seems to be more efficient than Android using very similar SoC's....

I'm sure it depends on the game but my question is about EXISTING games and apps. I mean if you know that is. I know there are utilities out there that test speed of a given processor and/or memory but those tests are not real world usage. In the real world, does it take a benchmark like the kind you talked about to run existing games and apps or can existing benchmarks get the job done? I'll wager they can without batting an eye.

jnjroach

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm sure it depends on the game but my question is about EXISTING games and apps. I mean if you know that is. I know there are utilities out there that test speed of a given processor and/or memory but those tests are not real world usage. In the real world, does it take a benchmark like the kind you talked about to run existing games and apps or can existing benchmarks get the job done? I'll wager they can without batting an eye.

Can I play Halo Spartan Assault or Asphalt on a 630 or 1320, sure but will it perform as well as an Icon (930) or 1520? Nope, my son has a 920 and plays higher end games on it, but he will gladly snag my 1520 to play the same games as it is a better experience. I think one the areas that the Tech Pundits miss is Windows Phone is very efficient and gives better performance, we are seeing that even on the HTC One M8....

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Can I play Halo Spartan Assault or Asphalt on a 630 or 1320, sure but will it perform as well as an Icon (930) or 1520? Nope, my son has a 920 and plays higher end games on it, but he will gladly snag my 1520 to play the same games as it is a better experience. I think one the areas that the Tech Pundits miss is Windows Phone is very efficient and gives better performance, we are seeing that even on the HTC One M8....
See, that's not the point I was trying to make. Between the Icon and the iphone 6 you've reached and possibly exceeded the point where benchmarks are basically irrelevant where smartphone games/apps are concerned. Comparing mids is a different post.

jnjroach

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
OK I see what you're saying, but the iPhone 6 was scoring 16th, in the same pack of Android devices that are running the same Chipset has the 1520....and the 1520 is ahead by a large margin. In usability studies anything under 10% is not typically noticeable to users but in this benchmark the delta the Lumia is 17% faster...that would be noticeable

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
You can't really claim it won since the malfunction negatively impacted the scores of the iPhone 6.
Is the point you're making in the test results the OP posted? I didn't see anything about a malfunction in his post. What was the malfunction? In the test algorithm or with the phone?

Ashalinia

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Is the point you're making in the test results the OP posted? I didn't see anything about a malfunction in his post. What was the malfunction? In the test algorithm or with the phone?

On the Basemark website, there's a line that says "We have temporarily removed iOS device results while we investigate a Basemark X defect which negatively impacts iOS results."

So I'd rather wait until they give us a more accurate representation before we start partying haha.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
On the Basemark website, there's a line that says "We have temporarily removed iOS device results while we investigate a Basemark X defect which negatively impacts iOS results."

So I'd rather wait until they give us a more accurate representation before we start partying haha.

Apple probably sent them a State of Intent / Letter Before Action , "pull these results or we will sue you!" :winktongue:

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Quite odd.

The iPhone 5S managed to beat the Lumia 1520 is benchmarks so the iPhone 6 which Apple touted having a 50% faster GPU is losing.

I believe we should wait a little bit and see if some "real"tests pop up.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
It's a shame that better specs don't add up to better sales.

True. Its not all about spec where IPhone is concerned. Its ecosystem. For android, its about spec. Not real sure what its about with Windows Phone yet except for maybe pride. If Android L does even 40 percent of what google envisiones for low end devices, its anyone's guess.

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Benchmarks mean nothing, because WP doesn't get any good games like iOS does. And majority of games are specifically optimized for the iPhone anyway. Us on WP usually have to wait for 2 years before we get even half popular games. That's the unfortunate truth, so Lumia 1520 can top all of the benchmarks, but without games other than endless runners won't mean a thing.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
So, because the Lumia 1520 beat the iPhone 6, the results must be 'skewed' or incorrect. But if the opposite was true, I'm sure Apple users would be crowing about how great their new hardware is.

Strange that Benchmark X has been in use for a while now and it was 'fine' before. All of a sudden there is a 'negative impact' from the program.

This also has nothing to do with games. The benchmark tests the performance of each subset of hardware and returns the values as tested. Suddenly benchmarks are not a 'real' indication of hardware speed, but have been touted as such for years....

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett