Should you buy the HTC One M8 for Windows?

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
Obviously I won't make fun of your choice, no doubt Windows Phone is a beautiful OS and it looks great on the M8.

The reason why I said the Android version was better because HTC Sense and the apps IMO just looks better on the M8, Sense was "made" for the M8.

Add to that the fact that the Android version supports extra gestures such as holding down the volume button to open camera, HTC Zoe, Blinkfeed a swipe away, better notification toggles, the better looking keyboard(IMO), and overall the better update cycle.

View attachment 82628

Now look at the above photo and tell me which looks better? Sense feels like to me it was made for the HTC One, whereas Windows Phone is the same experience throughout most devices.

And as far as performance goes, I've seen a few speed tests and Android came out on top against Windows Phone, while battery life is technically better on the WP variant but that's because the WP variant simply can't even do a fraction of what the Android variant can.

To each their own but I prefer the look of WP.

As for performance, android is the only OS that has managed to make it nearly impossible to keep up a constant frame rate.

So you can have your benchmarks. I'll take my real world performance.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
To each their own but I prefer the look of WP.

As for performance, android is the only OS that has managed to make it nearly impossible to keep up a constant frame rate.

So you can have your benchmarks. I'll take my real world performance.

I was talking about real time: http://youtu.be/fkokodBl9jQ

The constant frame rates can be sometimes a problem but yeah they'll be locked at a consistent 60 FPS in Android L. :)

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
I was talking about real time: Nokia Lumia 930 vs HTC One M8 Speed Test - YouTube

The constant frame rates can be sometimes a problem but yeah they'll be locked at a consistent 60 FPS in Android L. :)

They made that claim with Jellybean too. Until they prioritize the UI, it aint happening with any real consistency.

Interesting video. Of course you chose a faster SoC in the M8. Lets not skew things though ;)

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
They made that claim with Jellybean too. Until they prioritize the UI, it aint happening with any real consistency.

Interesting video. Of course you chose a faster SoC in the M8. Lets not skew things though ;)

They actually have managed to get rid of most(if not all) performance issues after the constant updates.

Since Android L will also make ART runtime, I imagine a lagless UI and this time they are trying very very hard for the consistent 60 FPS.

Plus the Snapdragon 800 used in the 1520 and HTC One M8 have pretty similar CPUs, but the GPU of the M8 is stronger not that it is relevant here because app start up is more Dependant on Cpu.

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
They actually have managed to get rid of most(if not all) performance issues after the constant updates.

Since Android L will also make ART runtime, I imagine a lagless UI and this time they are trying very very hard for the consistent 60 FPS.

Plus the Snapdragon 800 used in the 1520 and HTC One M8 have pretty similar CPUs, but the GPU of the M8 is stronger not that it is relevant here because app start up is more Dependant on Cpu.

Considering that the GUI and applications are GPU accelerated in both OSes, yeah it does make a difference. Not to mention that the 801 has a faster memory controller and the CPU is a little faster, which is what we saw in the video. Not majorly different, but different enough to see the difference as you saw.

Dalvik wasn't causing the FPS issues in Android, you know that right?

I am not new to Android, so I am very familiar with the updates.

Note 3
Droid Maxx
Note 2
Droid DNA
Galaxy Nexus
Droid Incredible 2
HTC Thunderbolt
Galaxy S
Droid Incredible
Droid 1

Nexus 7(2012)
Nexus 7(2013)

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I believe Windows is quite simply more efficient than Android. It's why the performance is the same around the board. You can use the Nokia Lumia 520 and get better performance than you would in most mid-range Android devices.
Yeah, Windows doesn't have as much going around but it's darn impressive that Microsoft managed to make such a solid platform. Windows Phone 9 may change that, of course, but right now you get more consistent performance on a Windows phone, budget or flagship.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa