The elephant in the room: Lumia 830 vs. Moto G (2nd Gen)

Ryan Burke

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
This has been brought up several times in other threads, and I think it's the most logical comparison.

If I dawn the Windows Phone Goggles and look at the 830 -really- hard, I can kind of see what MS is saying about this device being an affordable flagship. The clear black, the metal frame, the LTE, the superior camera - I get it. However, what is inexcusable is the price. MS needs to abandon the idea of profit margins on windows phones - full stop. At less than 4% of the market, there is just no way the 830 is going to sell at the sort of prices we're seeing. I think it's safe to say we're going to see a $400+ price here in the US... Who is steering this ship!?

Look at the Moto G (2nd Gen) at $180. It has 75% of the specs that matter in common with the 830. A -large- chunk of the market for this type of phone is never going to miss the LTE due to their tiny, tiny data limits and reliance on Wi-Fi. Furthermore, a 32gb card is the largest they would ever buy anyway (which is a limitation of the new G), and they couldn't care less about the metal ring around the chassis... You see where I'm going with this.

And hell let's go the other way, let's toss the new Moto X and the Samsung Alpha into the mix. For more or less an extra hundred bucks, you can get your hands on a -truly- high end device with premium features to spare...

So I can't help but look at the 830, with the prices we're seeing, and wonder who the target audience is? You've made a phone that is so overvalued that anyone who buys it will either have to knowingly waste money, or be unaware that they are wasting money. It baffles the mind.

Thank god I can use the majority of MS services on Android ;)

Thoughts?

vw1610

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
We don't know the official price for the US.

The 635 is 99$ in the US and ?119.00 OR 152$ in the UK. So let's wait and see what they charge. I'm guessing 300$ which in my opinion is a good deal. Especially when I just spent 900$ for my wife's iPhone 6plus. I would love an 830 with all of its features for 300ish.

Ryan Burke

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
$300 would be the maximum I would even THINK about paying for the 830. Fingers crossed man, but I don't think that's going happen. I predict $399

Sonu K

May 29, 2014
Visit site
This has been brought up several times in other threads, and I think it's the most logical comparison.

If I dawn the Windows Phone Goggles and look at the 830 -really- hard, I can kind of see what MS is saying about this device being an affordable flagship. The clear black, the metal frame, the LTE, the superior camera - I get it. However, what is inexcusable is the price. MS needs to abandon the idea of profit margins on windows phones - full stop. At less than 4% of the market, there is just no way the 830 is going to sell at the sort of prices we're seeing. I think it's safe to say we're going to see a $400+ price here in the US... Who is steering this ship!?

Look at the Moto G (2nd Gen) at $180. It has 75% of the specs that matter in common with the 830. A -large- chunk of the market for this type of phone is never going to miss the LTE due to their tiny, tiny data limits and reliance on Wi-Fi. Furthermore, a 32gb card is the largest they would ever buy anyway (which is a limitation of the new G), and they couldn't care less about the metal ring around the chassis... You see where I'm going with this.

And hell let's go the other way, let's toss the new Moto X and the Samsung Alpha into the mix. For more or less an extra hundred bucks, you can get your hands on a -truly- high end device with premium features to spare...

So I can't help but look at the 830, with the prices we're seeing, and wonder who the target audience is? You've made a phone that is so overvalued that anyone who buys it will either have to knowingly waste money, or be unaware that they are wasting money. It baffles the mind.

Thoughts?
Microsoft should really study selling and marketing strategies of Moto G. They did better market study and decided a unbelievable price for the specs they offer. And look how it worked out. MS should stop taking customers for granted. L630 had a 25% price drop since it's launch. It was still missing a front cam and flash for it's price if not RAM.
On the other hand Motorola never reduced the price because they were offering more than what they charged. Even 830's price will be dropped in 3 months. Because they are charging way too higher than the spec they offer. MS/Nokia is always charging 1000-2000 INR extra than the expected value.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
We don't know the official price for the US.

The 635 is 99$ in the US and ?119.00 OR 152$ in the UK. So let's wait and see what they charge. I'm guessing 300$ which in my opinion is a good deal. Especially when I just spent 900$ for my wife's iPhone 6plus. I would love an 830 with all of its features for 300ish.

Yeah I predict $299. That price point would make some sense, at least in the US. And I'd be tempted to upgrade from my OG HTC Titan.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Thoughts?

Moto did this after they got bought out by Google and got lots of Google money to focus on making the Moto X, Moto G and Moto E. Let's see what happens once the Lenovo integration closes.

The Lumia 830 is not a MSFT brainchild it was a Nokia project. MSFT's fingerprints will be over devices coming out next year and I do believe they will emulate the Moto/Google strategy.

Having said that would it be prudent for them to price the 830 aggressively? Absolutely. There are tons of devices at the $99 level now but nothing that competes in price/specs to the Moto G. The closest one is probably the Blu WIN HD. The Lumia 830 is a pretty nice device but a $150 cut would be just right for it to compete.

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Lumia 830 and Lumia 730 seems very similar, so I think Moto G (2ng gen) is the rival of them too.

But 830 have a better finish and a way better camera then both. The price is the problem, it's too much. Even 730 it's too much if we compare with new Moto G.

Microsoft needs more agressive prices.

poken1151

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
My Comment from the front page. If the price isn't shifted like suggested above then...

[FONT=open_sansregular]MS/Nokia will have a hard time standing out with a sales rep. That's hard enough as it is but looking at the general, average consumer is going to walk into a store and a good sales rep (or display) will have this info:[/FONT]
[FONT=open_sansregular]http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Motorola-Moto-X-2014,Nokia-Lumi...[/FONT]
[FONT=open_sansregular]Now, how does one sell a phone priced like the Moto X, but specced like the Moto G to the average consumer who's already not convinced on the platform?[/FONT]
[FONT=open_sansregular] [/FONT]
[FONT=open_sansregular]I really thought the 830 was gonna be like 299 USD, before launch was hoping for 269.99 or some such. I can't see what to upgrade from my 920 from reasonably (that's also not a 6-inch phone).[/FONT]
[FONT=open_sansregular] [/FONT]
[FONT=open_sansregular]EDIT: Also keep in mind, bothe the Moto-G and Moto-X at the differing pricepoints have the passive audio "Ok Google" Support. If anyone's read my prior posts, this feature's not exactly necessary for me, but it makes me ponder OS implementation on MS's end. Either way, again, Sales Reps who already push their preferences will find it even harder, I think, to push this (considering most reps still think all of MS services are called Live).[/FONT]

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
What about the iPhone 6?

Are we just admitting that IOS is better than WP on similar hardware and comparing to only android now?

Apple or iPhone isn't relevant here. But considering that last year's iPhone 5S beat every Windows Phone in benchmarks, you can sure as hell know that the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus beat it as well.

Moving on, let's talk bout what OP wanted us to talk about...

philhachey

Banned
Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Apple or iPhone isn't relevant here. But considering that last year's iPhone 5S beat every Windows Phone in benchmarks, you can sure as hell know that the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus beat it as well.

Moving on, let's talk bout what OP wanted us to talk about...

So I guess that is a unilateral yes for the entire WP community.

I honestly think that because the 830 will run anything in the store, and would run any ios app that was ported to WP. It should be compared because of the similar specs.

Also, benchmarks do tell a story, but they are easily skewed by manufacturers. - I remember Samsung was doing it. So they are OK for comparing phones(with a dash of salt). But if all they prove is that you get a higher number in that benchmarking app. Then what are they really proving?

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Yesterday I have a chance to compare the second generation of Moto G against Lumia 630. Yes, Lumia 630.

Moto G have a better camera, I slighly better screen (and bigger), have a much better video app and it's more smooth (looks like a top Android device, really good). But Lumia 630 is better in so many importants aspects...

630 have a way better sound quality for earphones. Just like my Lumia 930, really good. Very good bass and more. Moto G is just horrible, even a Lumia 520 it's better. 630 have a much better music app too. More clean, organized and easy to use. Play Music of Moto G it's just awful, really really bad. 630 have offline maps, the IE on 630 it's faster than Chrome and have a better feedback. On 630 you don't need to worry about closing tabs or apps, but on Moto G it's mandatory if you don't want too much lag after several hours. The physical buttons of Moto G are reeeeeally bad, so hard, Lumia 630 wins here again.

I don't know. Moto G is a good device, beautiful and more. But I really think even a Lumia 630 could be better in several aspects. Probably Lumia 730 and 830 would be better in almost all things.

My friends who have a Lumia 720 was pretending to buy a Moto G. So he gives one to his wife. Now he's waiting for Lumia 735 or Lumia 830. I would do the same.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Yesterday I have a chance to compare the second generation of Moto G against Lumia 630. Yes, Lumia 630.

Moto G have a better camera, I slighly better screen (and bigger), have a much better video app and it's more smooth (looks like a top Android device, really good). But Lumia 630 is better in so many importants aspects...

630 have a way better sound quality for earphones. Just like my Lumia 930, really good. Very good bass and more. Moto G is just horrible, even a Lumia 520 it's better. 630 have a much better music app too. More clean, organized and easy to use. Play Music of Moto G it's just awful, really really bad. 630 have offline maps, the IE on 630 it's faster than Chrome and have a better feedback. On 630 you don't need to worry about closing tabs or apps, but on Moto G it's mandatory if you don't want too much lag after several hours. The physical buttons of Moto G are reeeeeally bad, so hard, Lumia 630 wins here again.

I don't know. Moto G is a good device, beautiful and more. But I really think even a Lumia 630 could be better in several aspects. Probably Lumia 730 and 830 would be better in almost all things.

My friends who have a Lumia 720 was pretending to buy a Moto G. So he gives one to his wife. Now he's waiting for Lumia 735 or Lumia 830. I would do the same.

But the Moto G has better specs! </sarcasm>

philhachey

Banned
Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
We are talking about the Moto G and the Lumia 830, way to keep the thread relevant.

Actually, because of pricing this is a good comparison. Better than the comparison to the Moto g based on price point.

If the 830 has a better camera than the nexus or one+1 (which it most likely does) then comparing processors is a moot point between the os's.

jonahtrav

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
I just went to the Nokia store here in Bangkok and it's going for $468 dollars(converted from Thai baht)... More than $100 too much.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12