Cortana search results on Lumia 1520 are sometimes useless

Madam ImAdam

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I thought I'd post this in the Lumia 1520 forum although this issue is about Cortana - I feel like I recognize the members in this forum more as opposed to the others.

Recently, I am having some frustration with Cortana's search results. I tried to make a video clip showing one case where the Cortana results were not useful, requiring me to use IE and google to get what I was looking for.

I want to check a subway connection and was looking for the latest version of the NYC Subway map - a pdf document on the NYCMTA website that is easily downloaded and saved to the Adobe Reader app. The one I have on my phone has been superseded last weekend and I wanted to download the current one before heading out this morning.

A Cortana search for "NYC subway map pdf" returns a list of Subway restaurants.

I then open IE, go to Google and search "NYC subway map pdf". The first result returned is the exact download link for the current map document I'm looking for. Clicking the link brings up the Adobe PDF reader and I am able to see where the changes are for the subway this week.

How useful/accurate do you guys find Cortana searches to be?

Warning - the video is of pretty horrible quality!
[video]https://www.dropbox.com/s/rpzbl6ri1cpevpl/MVI_8824.MOV?dl=0[/video]

Mustang6511

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
Well, Bing searches do differ from Google searches, sometimes this is a good thing, other times it means Google has more accurate results. In this case, it wants to rely on the maps feature instead of a better search. You can change the default search engine in advanced settings, but COrtana will always use Bing if I remember correctly.
Good luck!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720