Weak wifi after Cyan/8.1 update?

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Thought it might be coincidence, but after weeks with the update I've noticed that my wifi reception seems to be pretty spotty. I know it's not my router because all my other devices have maintained the same performance as they always have. Most of the time I get half the signal I used to but sometimes I get no signal at all until I restart. Anyone else having the same issue?

ssjmec

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
Same here. Also, sometimes I cannot see the wifi while other gadgets can. A reboot fixes it though. Sometimes I can see it but just cant connect to it. A reboot, again, fixes it.

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Same here. Also, sometimes I cannot see the wifi while other gadgets can.

Oh, yeah. I forgot about that, happened to me in the doctor office just the other day as a matter of fact.

juamms - I kind of suspected it was a firmware glitch. You've just helped me confirm that.

SwizzleSoftware

May 30, 2012
Visit site
I can also confirm that this issue happens on both my wifes 1520 and my 1020. For me it seems to have started with the 8.1 update. I haven't got the cyan update yet, as I'm on the developer preview, but I'm hoping it fixes it.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Do you mean Denim update? Because Cyan is what screwed up my Wi-Fi in the first place.

Really? I'm on PFD with Black at the moment. Was kinda hoping it would fix my WiFi radio in my phone....but small things. A bigger annoyance is that my phone refuses to jump on an LTE network now :p

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Really? I'm on PFD with Black at the moment. Was kinda hoping it would fix my WiFi radio in my phone....but small things. A bigger annoyance is that my phone refuses to jump on an LTE network now :p

That's another thing I've noticed as well, now that you mention it. It doesn't refuse to jump on LTE, but it does seem to go on 4G more often than not since I updated. I was never on dev preview, waited for the official release on AT&T to install both Cyan and 8.1 and it's just been dodgy as heck ever since.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
That's another thing I've noticed as well, now that you mention it. It doesn't refuse to jump on LTE, but it does seem to go on 4G more often than not since I updated. I was never on dev preview, waited for the official release on AT&T to install both Cyan and 8.1 and it's just been dodgy as heck ever since.

Better than not having any 4G at all :p I miss the speed

Jmh89

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
My Wifi has definitely been worse since the update. Plus, it simply disconnects from time to time for no reason.

Triesh Jarden

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
As with every Microsoft-related software upgrade (desktop & mobile), while 8.1 on my Lumia 521 solved one problem, no connection with any secure WiFi networks with security protocol higher than WEP (unless access to WiFi router), Cyan cannot maintain any wifi connection, open or secure. Also, the intrusively annoying Cortana does not support landscape on the 521's stingy portrait keyboard suitable only for the Chinese toddler who apparently designed it. And finally, absolutely no evidence on this toy phone of Cyan's alleged "Media Center," and the convenient on-screen volume control necessary to compensate for the cheesy little Power, Volume & Camera access buttons that snap offf the moment one removes the battery cover to reset the phone after one of its gazillion screen freezes. 8.1 already trashed a brand-new Asus laptop last year, after months of looking for fixes for all its bugs. Think all Windows owners deserve a Microsoft 401K for all the time we've wasted trying to fix their crappy wannabe products. This way we can all afford to buy a real smartphone like Android or Apple and finally finish some of the the things we intended to do each time we turned on our Windows devices only to get waylaid by the latest Microsoft improvement (using that term as loosely as the use "upgrade").:angry:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6