How long does it take to install an update on Lumia 920?

UzEE

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
I've had the new DP update on install for over an hour now and the progress bar on the gears is still not even close to 20%.

This reminded me of the previous history of updating the phone and how it usually took hours (even overnight most of the times) to install the update on my Lumia 920. It seems like once the spinning gears appear, you can easily forget about your phone for around 4 to 5 hours. In fact, I wonder everytime if somehow my phone got bricked or something because the progress bar would stay at the same spot for like 2 hours or more.

I haven't seen this issue with my friend's devices where updates are usually done within 30 to 40 minutes (Lumia 925, 520, 1520, 630 etc.) so I was wondering if other Lumia 920 owners have the same issue?

Do (even small) updates take this long for every Lumia 920 owner or is there something actually wrong with my device?

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
A small update takes 10-20 mins. Cyan takes 30-40 mins. Turn off the battery saver, turn on location, then I think it should download

UzEE

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
A small update takes 10-20 mins. Cyan takes 30-40 mins. Turn off the battery saver, turn on location, then I think it should download

The downloading part isn't the problem. It only takes a couple of minutes. Its when the phone restarts and begins to install the update (the spinning gears screen), that's where it takes hours upon hours.

Today I checked upon my phone after a couple of hours during the update install and it was completely powered off (despite being connected to the charger).

Simply pressing and holding the power button did nothing so I had to do the soft reset by pressing Vol. Dn. + Power to get it to turn on, after which it went straight to the post update screen where it went through the usual finalization steps.

The whole process took about 3 hours, though I still didn't get Cyan.

Last edited:

Xellsama

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I've found that moving all the photos to my computer and deleting them on the phone helps, also depends on the number of apps you have installed. GF's phone only have like 50 apps and few photos, her updates are almost never longer than 30 min. Mine are almost always over an hour, even had 2~3 hr once, I had about 7 gigs of photo and over 300 apps installed......

beachedwhale42

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Mine is usually around 20 minutes or so. I probably have about 50 apps and a couple hundred photos? I often update while eating dinner and watching TV.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077