Anyone used the new phone Unlock?

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

Since the unlocking of phones was recently made legal, well, at least until early next year when the Library of Congress gets to decide again and will probably over-ride the recommendation, (it was not a Law) has anyone unlocked a new phone yet?

How hard or easy was it to unlock if you were not a previous or current customer of the carrier the phone was set for?

Microsoft store sell a bunch of phones for different carriers, so I am wondering what happens if you buy say an AT&T WP8.1 phone and then have to talk to AT&T to get them to unlock it. Do they still insist on you having been a customer for 12moinths or more etc? Or other hoops to jump through like TMo who want at least $100 in prepaid before they will even think about it?

Has the recent adjustment on legality changed anything - really?

Thanks

Last edited:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Sure its legal, meaning you may be able to get a code through an unlocking site...

But pfft, don't make me laugh, the carrier's unlocking requirements are the same, sure its no longer illegal, but it hasn't really changed anything from my POV.

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
i bought my lumia 520 from amazon last month when it went for 40USD
Its a GoPhone lumia 520 - came with a sim card that i never used....as i was already a ATT customer and had no contract.
Last week i went to their website, tried to use the online web form to send an unlock request - couldnt get the form to accept the IMEI number i had, so i instead sent a web email request.
Got a response within an hour to verify a contact number where they could call me.
An hour later i got a call - asked me to verify my account. I did - she said she would get back to me about the unlock request.
About an hour later i got an email from her with the unlock code.
I have been a ATT customer for >5 years, was already not on a contract, only had the Lumia 520 for about 4 weeks? and now it is unlocked - verified by putting in a tmobile sim...
Had tried to use tktechnews site to do that for me - paid them money - they told me they couldnt do it and refunded my money... glad i went back to ATT to ask them....

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, but being a customer didn't really test the system. I have never had a contract phone, I have always owned pre-paid for the past 16+ years. I want to get an 830 when they are released but of course, will want it unlocked to use with my choice of carrier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb