09-28-2014 01:12 PM
206 12345 ...
tools
    Honestly, the 830 doesn't even come close to what the iPhone 6 can do.

If you want a flagship experience without the flagship price, your best bet would be the Android alternatives.

The 830 is more of an overpriced midranger with very few features to justify the price.

The 730 on the other hand is a competitive handset, and if priced right it could turn a lot of heads towards Windows Phone.
    Woah the 830 hasn't been released yet,calm down. I'm just saying on paper in my opinion because it fits my needs. And by flagship experience I mean a flagship WP experience. It's not microsoft's fault that they won't release a nexus 5 like device. They just don't want to lose money from windows phone like they did with the surface tablets. 720p vs 750p resolution. 4.7 inch vs 5 inch, 10mp pureview vs 8mp iSight. OIS vs OIS(6 plus only),both have a closed down environment, both are the slimmest phones from each manufacturer, micro sd vs no micro sd. Both are really similar on paper but we haven't seen the 830 reviewed yet. But they really should have just used a 615. No one would have complained.
    Last edited by colinkiama; 09-28-2014 at 04:36 AM.
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    09-27-2014 01:55 PM
    Keep comparing guys, I'll go get a device for my mom.
    735 for your mom maybe?
    09-27-2014 01:59 PM
    Lumia 830 shoud have Snapdragon 410 or 600.
    09-27-2014 02:01 PM
    735 for your mom maybe?
    The point is that I'm happy with the device for its price point, I'm not going to buy anytime soon another phone, maybe later.
    09-27-2014 02:03 PM
    Lumia 830 shoud have Snapdragon 410 or 600.
    But it doesn't. End of story.
    09-27-2014 02:03 PM
    Woah the 830 hasn't been released yet,calm down. I'm just saying on paper in my opinion because it fits my needs. And by flagship experience I mean a flagship WP experience. It's not microsoft's fault that they won't release a nexus 5 like device. They just don't want to lose money from windows phone like they did with the surface tablets. 720p vs 750p resolution. 4.7 inch vs 5 inch, 10mp preview vs 8mp iSight. OIS vs OIS(6 plus only),both have a closed down environment, both are the slimmest phones from each manufacturer, micro sd vs no micro sd. Both are really similar on paper but we haven't seen the 830 reviewed yet. But they really should have just used a 615. No one would have complained.
    The 830 isn't a flagship experience. You don't get a high-end CPU. You get a bottom-of-the-barrel (not exaggerating) GPU. You don't get 2 GB of RAM. They're already announcing features (Hey Cortana) that the 830 can't (not won't) get because of the poor SoC inside. You don't get a high-end camera, you get one with a slight resolution bump (and possibly a better OIS solution, undetermined) than the 2-year-old 920. You don't get a high-quality display, the 830's is actually a downgrade from the 920.

Oh, and it's 100% Microsoft's fault that there isn't a Nexus-like device. Of course, all a Nexus device for Microsoft would be is a Lumia that isn't crap, from a guts standpoint. All they'd need to do is refresh the 930 to a 935, giving it the IPS LCD of the 920/1520, and upping the SoC to the SD 805. That's all they'd have to do, but it's just too much to ask, apparently. How can you say it's not Microsoft's fault that Microsoft released a low-end device with a upper-mid-range price tag, while simultaneously marketing a low-end SoC as a flagship?
    09-27-2014 02:19 PM
    But it doesn't. End of story.
    More like end of life, for the 830. I guess the 830 works as a device for a mom, someone who usually doesn't understand technology well and can be convinced to spend too much on inferior stuff. I have been telling my sister to go with the Icon because I know she'll actually care about the device quality long-term, and I don't want her stuck with a lemon.
    09-27-2014 02:20 PM
    More like end of life, for the 830.
    Sorry, I forgot that all of you are much smarter than entire Microsoft Mobile. My apologies.

I guess the 830 works as a device for a mom, someone who usually doesn't understand technology well and can be convinced to spend too much on inferior stuff. I have been telling my sister to go with the Icon because I know she'll actually care about the device quality long-term, and I don't want her stuck with a lemon.
    Check my next post after the one you quoted.
    09-27-2014 02:27 PM
    Well, we will never find the common denominator.

Someone says he is happy with its price and specs, other say that for this price (399) you can buy a real flagship or pay half the price for these specs and then someone else says that he is happy with the price and specs and that he prefers the 830 over a Galaxy S4 with Lagdroid or a Lumia 930 (because SD card and glance).

Fine. I'm looking forward to early and heavy discounts (if Microsoft has some sense left). But who knows, maybe Microsoft is not interested in mass market success. Maybe they prefer sellin only a few of the devices and actually make some money with them.
    techiez likes this.
    09-27-2014 05:15 PM
    We won't find out how well the 830 will do until it comes out, and we see just how much each carrier is charging for it. I am hoping AT&T does like it did with the 635 which is locked to them; but at a great price. I use Consumer Cellular so I can use a AT&T phone on their service (which uses AT&T's network) at a big reduction in price. I own a 820 and a Moto G lte so I have a lot of first hand experience with them. I am interested in the 830 (if the price is right) but I don't feel it is that great a deal as a upgrade to the 820. But for the right price, who knows. Playing a waiting game. I will say this however; if they had put a 800 or a 615 in it I would not have hesitated getting it. Now; its just a maybe, maybe not. If I replace my 820 I want something that is a pretty good upgrade to it; not a minor upgrade. WAITING.
    09-27-2014 07:01 PM
    wow guys i mean seriously the way some are talking here,itd make someone believe the 830 is underpowered and laggy or something
    this is windows phone not android,we dont need an extreme cpu
    who cares if theres no hey cortana on the 830,for all you know some workaround might come along or you can buy another lumia
    colinkiama likes this.
    09-27-2014 10:05 PM
    Here many of them are talking about 830s processor, that it should have sd600 or higher, but there's no point. It would still not have hey Cortana feature. WPs work perfectly on single /dual core processors, at least 830 has quad core. Be happy with that. If 830 had Sd800, would anyone buy 930? Why would MS risk the sales of 930 for 830? Processors matter much in Android as they are laggy ones, not WP or ios
    colinkiama likes this.
    09-27-2014 10:40 PM
    Here many of them are talking about 830s processor, that it should have sd600 or higher, but there's no point. It would still not have hey Cortana feature. WPs work perfectly on single /dual core processors, at least 830 has quad core. Be happy with that. If 830 had Sd800, would anyone buy 930? Why would MS risk the sales of 930 for 830? Processors matter much in Android as they are laggy ones, not WP or ios
    you get it slightly wrong, 830 doesnt need to sd800, it can hv sd400 but needs to be priced accordingly, 60-70% of its price currently. we still dont know its price in India but shouldnt be more than 20-22
    09-27-2014 11:19 PM
    Oh please, not the same spec crap again...
    Actually many users are having very hard time in digesting that how can $179 phone can offer same almost offering as $350.
    How can few value added things like better Camera, NFC, Wireless charging, better build quality can double the cost because the core offering is same.

It will be better to leave things users to decide which phone they want.o or see worth
    but some users keep bring topic like this which obviously gonna bring same thing over & over again because topic is asking them to do that.
    How can you not bring specs if you are comparing two phones & it's prices
    Because specs decide & justify the cost.
    techiez likes this.
    09-28-2014 12:23 AM
    Actually many users are having very hard time in digesting that how can $179 phone can offer same almost offering as $350.
    How can few value added things like better Camera, NFC, Wireless charging, better build quality can double the cost because the core offering is same.

It will be better to leave things users to decide which phone they want.o or see worth
    but some users keep bring topic like this which obviously gonna bring same thing over & over again because topic is asking them to do that.
    How can you not bring specs if you are comparing two phones & it's prices
    Because specs decide & justify the cost.
    but does it run wp8.1?!! :D :P
    colinkiama likes this.
    09-28-2014 12:40 AM
    and Moto G runs on Android 4.4.4.

What's the point?
    colinkiama likes this.
    09-28-2014 02:16 AM
    you get it slightly wrong, 830 doesnt need to sd800, it can hv sd400 but needs to be priced accordingly, 60-70% of its price currently. we still dont know its price in India but shouldnt be more than 20-22
    But X30 series are launched at a cheaper price than X20/X25 series phones. I know its not that cheap according to some people, but at least MS is trying. Also the X30 successors would be even cheaper with better specs. Do you remember at what price was 920 launched in India, it was around ₹35k. 830 has better specs, its thinner, bigger. Its price would be around ₹24k, not 20-22k. Still lets hope for the best.
    Karthik Naik and udayk like this.
    09-28-2014 02:52 AM
    and Moto G runs on Android 4.4.4.

What's the point?
    my point is just that-wp8.1
    09-28-2014 03:06 AM
    wow guys i mean seriously the way some are talking here,itd make someone believe the 830 is underpowered and laggy or something
    who cares if theres no hey cortana on the 830,for all you know some workaround might come along or you can buy another lumia

Oh stop this WP doesn't need a good CPU bull****. If you want to do more than email, light web browsing and calendar stuff, of course you need a strong cpu/gpu. 4k video isn't magically working because WP is so lightweight. And for the new camera tricks, 4k is a must.

Again: SD 400 is fine, for 269. Not 399. (And even this price point is harder to justify if you consider that in Germany BASE sells the 930 for 299!)
    09-28-2014 03:38 AM
    Actually hardware similar to that of the 830 runs very smoothly on Android, so your point isn't relevant here in the least.

Workarounds won't come for Hey Cortana.

Wow then how does a Moto G run so well with hardware similar to 830 and despite being cheaper?

Read my previous posts, if they had opted for a Snapdragon 600 CPU there would have been other benefits apart from just hey cortana.

Consider this, games have ****ty graphics on WP most times, going for a SOC that has an Adreno 320 would've improved gaming on the 830 and made the graphics better.

Newsflash, no one cares.

If Windows Phone 8.1 was a required OS for a device then Windows Phone today wouldn't have such a low marketshare.

People prefer Android over WP, most do at least.
    colinkiama and D M C like this.
    09-28-2014 03:41 AM
    Actually hardware similar to that of the 830 runs very smoothly on Android, so your point isn't relevant here in the least.

Wow then how does a Moto G run so well with hardware similar to 830 and despite being cheaper?

Read my previous posts, if they had opted for a Snapdragon 600 CPU there would have been other benefits apart from just hey cortana.

Consider this, games have ****ty graphics on WP most times, going for a SOC that has an Adreno 320 would've improved gaming on the 830 and made the graphics better.

Newsflash, no one cares.

If Windows Phone 8.1 was a required OS for a device then Windows Phone today wouldn't have such a low marketshare.

You keep talking, my cousin has a Moto g, it lags. Many games run ****ty in Android, many androids even hang while running a game! I don't care what you think of WP. How old is Android & how old is WP? You just expect WPs share to increase from the snap of your fingers? WP came when Android had 75% market share. Its never easy to come up with your own os, when the other one is already ruling the world. Still WP is doing quite better.
    Last edited by psoham777; 09-28-2014 at 05:46 AM.
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    09-28-2014 03:53 AM
    You keep talking, my cousin has a Moto g, it lags. Many games run ****ty in Android, many androids even hang while running a game! I don't care what you think of WP. How old is Android & how old is WP? You just expect WPs share to increase from the snap of your fingers? WP came when Android has 75% market share. Its never easy to come up with your own os, when the other one is already ruling the world. Still WP is doing quite better.
    Dude your missing the point again and again, low end Windows Phones also lag and crash!

What games run ****ty on Android?
    09-28-2014 04:00 AM
    Dude your missing the point again and again, low end Windows Phones also lag and crash!

What games run ****ty on Android?
    Low end WP s don't crash. I've had my 620 for over a year and a half, and have never experienced a crash. Moot point. 99% of the readers of this site disagree with you.
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    09-28-2014 04:08 AM
    Low end WP s don't crash. I've had my 620 for over a year and a half, and have never experienced a crash. Moot point. 99% of the readers of this site disagree with you.
    Depends on the application. I love browsing image sharing sites like 9GAG and Imgur.

The 9GAG app for the most part is a nice application, but occasionally playing a .gif would totally make my phone hang and/or crash.

Imgur has no official app, but it's third party client called Imgura is terrible. Opening a large image would always crash the app, the feed wouldn't show the latest photos.

Atmosphere Weather was an app that I saw featured on WPCentral, it would always crash on start up.

Even more annoying is the fact that when an Android app crashes, it simply crashes and you can proceed to opening it again or do something else.

But all hell breaks loose when a WP app crashes, the UI itself also reloads, making you wait more than a few seconds for your phone to actually reload the entire thing.

Tapatalk would reload the page each time I would post something, and if the message I was typing would be too long the phone would come extremely slow.

Not to mention that if you scroll too fast in myTube, or in the WPcentral comment section, or in the Whatsapp app the content in the screen completely dissapears.

And then I would often see the dreaded "resuming" message more often than not. I would even see it for apps I just left, such as Tapatalk.

And OMG it was such a pain switching tabs in Internet Explorer.

No phone is totally smooth in the low end side, Android and Windows Phone are pretty much equal.
    09-28-2014 04:26 AM

Newsflash, no one cares.

then dont come to wpcentral if you love android so much
    go to android central and post such things
    newsflash i dont want to be part of the common crowd rather be different,thats how most of us bought a windows phone
    S Vaibhav and udayk like this.
    09-28-2014 04:28 AM
206 12345 ...