Why the Lumia 830 is not the same as the 630/Moto G

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Every comment thread features a person or two who storm the 830 posts and demand that it should be priced lower. That it's a low end,phone and is the same,as a 635/Moto G.
Processor aside...exactly what is the same....if the processor was an SD 800 the 830 would be as good or better than the 930. However, this crowd would have us believe that the processor,overrides every single feature on the phone.
Please do tell, does adding an SD 800 into a 635/520/530/625 make it high end? (Excluding all other Lumias because they are all pretty good,mid rangers...even the 620)
Don't justify your entitlement by making stupid arguments and stop advertising your ignorance on WP Central with comments like "OMG.,it should be free otherwise DOA", "The market will" , "The masses will". Just STOP.
P.s (Did the WP comma key change places in 8.1. I'm always tapping ot accidentally now)

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Apart from just the Snapdragon 800 processor, Nokia could have used a Snapdragon 600 or 615, or even the older Snapdragon S4 Pro all of them would've been better than the 400.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Apart from just the Snapdragon 800 processor, Nokia could have used a Snapdragon 600 or 615, or even the older Snapdragon S4 Pro all of them would've been better than the 400.
True. I don't get that bit of their logic. However, the phone has a whole bunch of other features that make up for it

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
and what would that achieve?

Considering that textures and effects of games on Windows Phone are already much poorer than the Android/iOS counterparts(no offense), a beefier GPU could have alleviated some of the complaints of the Lumia 830.

While I would agree that the Snapdragon 400 itself can handle pretty much all tasks you throw on it, it comes with an Adreno 305 GPU.

If they had used a beefier GPU, such as the one used in the Snapdragon S4 Pro or Snapdragon 600, the Adreno 320, the 830 would've been a much better device.

Also add to that the fact that according to what I've read the Adreno 305 is half the power you would get on a 320.

It still wouldn't support features like Hey Cortana, but at least people wouldn't criticize it for having pretty much the same specs as the 630, at least in terms of the SOC.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Considering that textures and effects of games on Windows Phone are already much poorer than the Android/iOS counterparts(no offense), a beefier GPU could have alleviated some of the complaints of the Lumia 830.

While I would agree that the Snapdragon 400 itself can handle pretty much all tasks you throw on it, it comes with an Adreno 305 GPU.

If they had used a beefier GPU, such as the one used in the Snapdragon S4 Pro or Snapdragon 600, the Adreno 320, the 830 would've been a much better device.

Also add to that the fact that according to what I've read the Adreno 305 is half the power you would get on a 320.

It still wouldn't support features like Hey Cortana, but at least people wouldn't criticize it for having pretty much the same specs as the 630, at least in terms of the SOC.

about the gpu thing,the difference in performance wouldnt be much
plus webpages rendering is actually faster on the SD400 than any of the older lumias except the 1520 ofcourse

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Every comment thread features a person or two who storm the 830 posts and demand that it should be priced lower. That it's a low end,phone and is the same,as a 635/Moto G.
Processor aside...exactly what is the same....if the processor was an SD 800 the 830 would be as good or better than the 930. However, this crowd would have us believe that the processor,overrides every single feature on the phone.
Please do tell, does adding an SD 800 into a 635/520/530/625 make it high end? (Excluding all other Lumias because they are all pretty good,mid rangers...even the 620)
Don't justify your entitlement by making stupid arguments and stop advertising your ignorance on WP Central with comments like "OMG.,it should be free otherwise DOA", "The market will" , "The masses will". Just STOP.
P.s (Did the WP comma key change places in 8.1. I'm always tapping ot accidentally now)

I think you are being over dramatic, I dont know how much more it costs than motog in your place but in India the expected price bracket is double than that of Moto G second gen. now thats Pricey.
According to me 730 should be priced exactly same as Moto G, and 835 should cost at most 50-70$ more than that.

MS has already announced that it will lower the prices and bring more phones at lower price points but the timeline that they gave(of 12-18months) is too much, too late.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Well L830 is an overpriced phone.

Lets forget about Moto g.

Even HTC offering better phone than L830 at $320 that is HTC desire 816
HTC Desire 816 - Full phone specifications

This phone is better in every way compare to L830 and still cost less.

It's also not nearly as beautiful as the L830 and runs a cluttered, ugly operating system. Also, performance (which should be the most important factor, or one of them) doesn't rely solely on specs. Oh, and the camera is quite average, so it's not a better phone in every way. In fact, it's worse in two important aspects (aesthetics, camera). I'd bet that performance between the two is quite close as well.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Bring in Xiaomi Mi3 to the equation and it blows the competition away ;)

Obviously.(Though I have little doubts regarding quality)

But considering Brand.
Sony, Samsung, HTC, Nokia, Motorola etc are almost same level brands.
If anyone of them offer superior specs phone then it would sell more or say attract more users.

Apple is bigger than these brands.

It's also not nearly as beautiful as the L830 and runs a cluttered, ugly operating system. Also, performance (which should be the most important factor, or one of them) doesn't rely solely on specs. Oh, and the camera is quite average, so it's not a better phone in every way. In fact, it's worse in two important aspects (aesthetics, camera). I'd bet that performance between the two is quite close as well.

You should check the reviews.
It's a very good phone and i'll bet it will beat L830 in every aspect.

Beauty or ugly is subjective matter.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
about the gpu thing,the difference in performance wouldnt be much
plus webpages rendering is actually faster on the SD400 than any of the older lumias except the 1520 ofcourse

The difference in performance wouldn't be huge, the difference in quality of textures and AA will be better which would translate to better gaming experience.

Try to understand what I am saying.

I'm not talking about webpages here, a few seconds delay to load up a webpage can be waited for.

Plus I'm not talking about the S4 Pro used in the older Lumia generation, I'm talking about the S4 Pro and Snapdragon 600 processors used in devices like the Nexus 4 or HTC One and Galaxy S4 from 2012 - 2013.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site

http://m.gsmarena.com/htc_desire_816-6073.php

Some people on here are,frothing at the mouth and saying it should be $200 with extras thrown in. The 620 was ?200 at launch (If it had a faster processor and 1 GB of ram,+ 720 screen though *.*)

WPRaptor1

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
The s600 is no longer being produced. That's also why no one else has it on their mid range phones. It's not only Microsoft, LG, Sony, Samsung, HTC they all sell newer models with SD400.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
The s600 is no longer being produced. That's also why no one else has it on their mid range phones. It's not only Microsoft, LG, Sony, Samsung, HTC they all sell newer models with SD400.

If Snapdragon 600 has stopped being produced, maybe they could've used a Snapdragon 615.

Where there is a will, there is a way.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

HTC Desire 816 - Full phone specifications

tell me do these phones have a great polycarbonate body and great design or windows phone 8.1 or a pureview camera which blows most other cameras or excellent battery life or zero overheating issues?

my friends own the very phones you mentioned and are having loads of overheating and battery issues
the cameras are also not upto the mark despite being 8mp(?i think) , my 720 beats the cameras off both phones

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
The difference in performance wouldn't be huge, the difference in quality of textures and AA will be better which would translate to better gaming experience.

Try to understand what I am saying.

I'm not talking about webpages here, a few seconds delay to load up a webpage can be waited for.

Plus I'm not talking about the S4 Pro used in the older Lumia generation, I'm talking about the S4 Pro and Snapdragon 600 processors used in devices like the Nexus 4 or HTC One and Galaxy S4 from 2012 - 2013.

then it makes sense!

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Obviously.(Though I have little doubts regarding quality)

But considering Brand.
Sony, Samsung, HTC, Nokia, Motorola etc are almost same level brands.
If anyone of them offer superior specs phone then it would sell more or say attract more users.

Apple is bigger than these brands.

You should check the reviews.
It's a very good phone and i'll bet it will beat L830 in every aspect.

Beauty or ugly is subjective matter.

it looks and feels rather cheap except for the back shell
camera quality is a joke
display isnt very nice
battery life is not great
overheating issues plague the device

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
That's why op meant design is subjective some people may love moto curved back.if people are design centric then iPhone should be the phone everyone will go for.people in India look for priceee vs features vs apps.wp fails in apps and price especially Lumia 830.
From Windows phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99