Why the Lumia 830 is not the same as the 630/Moto G

Status
Not open for further replies.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
^^not true at all not one bit of it the 920 is still the best low light photography phone yet and the nexus 5 doesnt even come close even in normal conditions no one on wpcentral said nexus 5 was better,i remember that thread and everyone posted photos in that thread including me and everyone agreed the 720 ,820 and 920 beat the nexus 5 keep dreaming you drag android into every thread for no reason and get bashed about it im sure @psoham777 will also agree
Lumia cameras beat competition but camera's not the only reason to choose a phone, nexus 5 is a very good phone for its price point,when its was launched at 29k , 925 was still above 33k and overall nexus 5 was a good choice n reason it sold so much

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Lumia cameras beat competition but camera's not the only reason to choose a phone, nexus 5 is a very good phone for its price point,when its was launched at 29k , 925 was still above 33k and overall nexus 5 was a good choice n reason it sold so much

i never said it was bad
salmanahmad is always trying to act as though the nexus 5 is the God phone or something like it doesnt have its own flaws
i myself own a nexus 5,lumia 720 and 820 and a Blackberry Z10
so i know what im talking about when i compare these phones
especially in photography since photography is a part of the course im currently pursuing in college

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I just play normal games n lag is evident, even whatsapp crashed a few times, good for u if u hvnt seen lag :)

whatsapp issues are normal it isnt very stable on all platforms and especially since its not updated for windows phone 8 properly or 8.1
try a hard reset though might fix the smaller bugs

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Snapdragon 600 is not being used by any companies for their mid rangers because it sucks battery life .
I think they used 400 instead of s4 pro because of Sensercore

Would you care to enlighten us with such a processor that doesn't sick battery life?

If you are talking about general battery life performance with a Snapdragon 600 chip, you are wrong there are plenty of devices that have pretty good battery lives with the Snapdragon 600.

As far as Sensorcore goes, it's an API to get access to your device's sensors I don't think there is a difference in the sensor department when comparing a Snapdragon 400 to a S4 Pro?

The 630 and the 730 are the same spec wise to the 830 but why is the 830 at a larger price point.?

It is because the additional features it brings to the table. Even the 730 beats the G2 in aspects like Screen, NFC , additional storage options, Camera etc.

We are comparing devices of Android compared to Windows Phones at their price points.

The Moto G and G2 easily beat Lumia 630.

The Nexus 5, Xiaomi Mi3 and OnePlusOne beat the Lumia 830.

As far as 730 goes, it's an okay mid range device and maybe it's successful, who knows?

^^not true at all not one bit of it

the 920 is still the best low light photography phone yet and the nexus 5 doesnt even come close even in normal conditions
no one on wpcentral said nexus 5 was better,i remember that thread and everyone posted photos in that thread including me and everyone agreed the 720 ,820 and 920 beat the nexus 5
keep dreaming
you drag android into every thread for no reason and get bashed about it
im sure @psoham777 will also agree

The thread origianlly aimed to bring Android versus Windows Phones, and you brought the camera comparison between the Nexus 5 and your 720...not me.

I'll agree maybe the 920 and 925 are some of the best nighttime shooters, but they aren't the best. And most importantly they aren't relevant here.
You brought your 720 into this, tell me can your 720 take a photo like this?

1411838891908.jpg
1411838919510.jpg

wp8.1 doesnt lag at all on my 720

The 720 has pretty much the same SOC as my 520, while Windows Phone 8.0 was pretty smooth, one of the reasons why I immediately went for a Nexus 5 was because of how much slower by 520 was on Windows Phone 8.1, there is a definite decrease in performance.

But I'll try to see if Lumia Cyan has improved performance, next week.

i never said it was bad
salmanahmad is always trying to act as though the nexus 5 is the God phone or something like it doesnt have its own flaws
i myself own a nexus 5,lumia 720 and 820 and a Blackberry Z10
so i know what im talking about when i compare these phones
especially in photography since photography is a part of the course im currently pursuing in college

Loool I'm a freelance mobile photographer and I've spent a significant amount of time with a lot of great smartphone cameras.

I could've easily bought a 720 and saved around $120 but the camera is pretty average in bright light and noise levels are high, primarily because of the f1.9 aperture, and how can we forget how slow the camera is?

I don't bring my Nexus 5 into everything, you compare your low end Windows Phones to the nexus which forces me to prove you wrong.

whatsapp issues are normal it isnt very stable on all platforms and especially since its not updated for windows phone 8 properly or 8.1
try a hard reset though might fix the smaller bugs

It's pretty stable on all platforms, I've used it on Windows Phone and it worked pretty well but didn't have nearly as functionality or polish as the Android and iOS counterparts, oh and it lacks in speed as well.

And yes Whatsapp has been optimized for Windows Phone 8.1, it's gotten a bit slower due to that as well.

HelloLudger

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
Let it say it the easy way:
If you think that a better design, a better camera combined with "better build quality" (which is very arguable) and "not-Android" is worth paying twice the price of a 2014 new Moto G, then this is your choice but don't think that enough people share your opinion to make this device success.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
The difference in performance wouldn't be huge, the difference in quality of textures and AA will be better which would translate to better gaming experience.

Try to understand what I am saying.

I'm not talking about webpages here, a few seconds delay to load up a webpage can be waited for.

Plus I'm not talking about the S4 Pro used in the older Lumia generation, I'm talking about the S4 Pro and Snapdragon 600 processors used in devices like the Nexus 4 or HTC One and Galaxy S4 from 2012 - 2013.
Nailed it. Btw I don't see why the 830 shouldn't be priced the way it is. You can use every app in the store. Use glance. Dolby surround. 10mp Pureview camera, removable battery. Micro so card, 720p 5 inches. You get a flagship experience without the flagship price. This beats tHe iPhone 6 in my opinion. That's what I don't think people realise. It's very similar to the iPhone 6 but is much cheaper and comes in different colours. Lol but I agree, if only it had an 800. But this phone is supposed to be worse than a 930. Something had to be sacrificed. But I'm just sad that Nokia can't make a 'perfectly specced' phone like Samsung does.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Nailed it. Btw I don't see why the 830 shouldn't be priced the way it is. You can use every app in the store. Use glance. Dolby surround. 10mp Pureview camera, removable battery. Micro so card, 720p 5 inches. You get a flagship experience without the flagship price. This beats tHe iPhone 6 in my opinion. That's what I don't think people realise. It's very similar to the iPhone 6 but is much cheaper and comes in different colours. Lol but I agree, if only it had an 800. But this phone is supposed to be worse than a 930. Something had to be sacrificed. But I'm just sad that Nokia can't make a 'perfectly specced' phone like Samsung does.

Honestly, the 830 doesn't even come close to what the iPhone 6 can do.

If you want a flagship experience without the flagship price, your best bet would be the Android alternatives.

The 830 is more of an overpriced midranger with very few features to justify the price.

The 730 on the other hand is a competitive handset, and if priced right it could turn a lot of heads towards Windows Phone.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Every comment thread features a person or two who storm the 830 posts and demand that it should be priced lower. That it's a low end,phone and is the same,as a 635/Moto G.
Processor aside...exactly what is the same....if the processor was an SD 800 the 830 would be as good or better than the 930. However, this crowd would have us believe that the processor,overrides every single feature on the phone.
Please do tell, does adding an SD 800 into a 635/520/530/625 make it high end? (Excluding all other Lumias because they are all pretty good,mid rangers...even the 620)
Don't justify your entitlement by making stupid arguments and stop advertising your ignorance on WP Central with comments like "OMG.,it should be free otherwise DOA", "The market will" , "The masses will". Just STOP.
P.s (Did the WP comma key change places in 8.1. I'm always tapping ot accidentally now)

I have to start by laughing at the hilarity of this. You make a thread arguing a point, then instead of making any points yourself, you tell everyone who disagrees with you to provide reasons for THEIR opinions, something you couldn't be bothered to do yourself. That said, I'll go ahead and explain the wrong in your title.

2012: We get the 920 and the 820 (also released as the 810 and 822). The 820 ends up being a 920 with a lower-resolution screen, less internal storage (but with microSD support), a removable back (allowing for wireless charging), and without OIS (same camera resolution). The CPU/GPU/RAM (SoC) was the exact same in both the 920 and 820, making the difference between the two basically just being the display and camera (the storage was basically equal but different, IMO, and the wireless charging wasn't the biggest deal).

Meanwhile, a few months later, the Lumia 620 came out. It trailed the 820 (moving on from the 920 here) at the CPU, GPU, and RAM level, meaning the whole SoC was of a lower quality. The screen was smaller, but the same resolution as the 820, and the camera went from 8.7 MP on the 820 to 5.0 MP on the 620, still without OIS. Basically, the 620 trailed the 820 in everything but storage (both had 8 BG on-board storage with microSD support).

2014: The Icon/930 is in a class well beyond the 830. The cameras both carry OIS, but now the 930 has a resolution (20 MP) double that of the 830 (10 MP). Both have wireless charging now built in, but the resolution is still a gap (1080p vs 720p) between the devices, despite their identical sizes. The storage story is still the same (more on-board with the 930, but microSD support to make up for it on the 830). So, on the surface, the devices aren't THAT different. The resolution of the camera and display are higher on the 930, and while that's noticeable, it's not mind-blowing. The problem is at the SoC level. The 930-830 comparison is not like the 920-820 comparison from 2012, but more like the 820-620 one. The 930's CPU (2.2 GHz) is clocked almost twice as high as the 830's (1.2 GHz). The GPUs are miles apart, in terms of performance. The RAM on the 930 is double that of the 830. As a whole, the SoC on the 830 is a downgrade from that in the 820 (slightly better CPU, but horrendous GPU), leaving the 830's primary components (the CPU and GPU) at least 2 years behind the 930, in terms of raw power.

Now there's the Lumia 630. Internally, it carries the same CPU and GPU as the 830. The GPU that will likely drag on the 830 will power the 630 as well, but it's marketed and priced as a device deserving of that level of chip. For whatever reason, they cut the 630 to 512 MB or RAM again, but I honestly think that was just to keep the thing from being TOO close to the 830, from a performance standpoint (they can lock the 630 out of some high-end games and claim the 830 as a better device). Now, the 630 will lose out on display resolution and camera quality, like how the 820 trailed the 920 in 2012.

All of that is to say that while the 830 and 630 aren't the same, they're VERY close, like how the 820 and 920 were. The problem is that Microsoft is taking the 830, labeling it a flagship-level device, and throwing in low-end components. The 820 rivaled the 920 in 2012 because it had the same primary components at a lower price, while taking out the bells and whistles. Now, in 2014, Microsoft has murdered the 8xx line. The only reason the 830 won't be TOTALLY dead in the water is because the Icon/930 isn't widely available in the United States, meaning the less-informed WP users will get duped when the incompetent AT&T employees sell them the 830 as a step up from the 820, when its GPU is a significant downgrade, meaning all you get is screen pixels and a camera bump, at the expense of performance and wireless charging.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
True. I don't get that bit of their logic. However, the phone has a whole bunch of other features that make up for it

I'd argue against "a bunch." I mean, it's got OIS and wireless charging. The RAM's the only major difference to most, since people aren't USUALLY buying phones for the camera and wireless charging hasn't yet caught on as a mainstream feature.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, the 830 doesn't even come close to what the iPhone 6 can do.

If you want a flagship experience without the flagship price, your best bet would be the Android alternatives.

The 830 is more of an overpriced midranger with very few features to justify the price.

The 730 on the other hand is a competitive handset, and if priced right it could turn a lot of heads towards Windows Phone.
Woah the 830 hasn't been released yet,calm down. I'm just saying on paper in my opinion because it fits my needs. And by flagship experience I mean a flagship WP experience. It's not microsoft's fault that they won't release a nexus 5 like device. They just don't want to lose money from windows phone like they did with the surface tablets. 720p vs 750p resolution. 4.7 inch vs 5 inch, 10mp pureview vs 8mp iSight. OIS vs OIS(6 plus only),both have a closed down environment, both are the slimmest phones from each manufacturer, micro sd vs no micro sd. Both are really similar on paper but we haven't seen the 830 reviewed yet. But they really should have just used a 615. No one would have complained.

Last edited:

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Woah the 830 hasn't been released yet,calm down. I'm just saying on paper in my opinion because it fits my needs. And by flagship experience I mean a flagship WP experience. It's not microsoft's fault that they won't release a nexus 5 like device. They just don't want to lose money from windows phone like they did with the surface tablets. 720p vs 750p resolution. 4.7 inch vs 5 inch, 10mp preview vs 8mp iSight. OIS vs OIS(6 plus only),both have a closed down environment, both are the slimmest phones from each manufacturer, micro sd vs no micro sd. Both are really similar on paper but we haven't seen the 830 reviewed yet. But they really should have just used a 615. No one would have complained.

The 830 isn't a flagship experience. You don't get a high-end CPU. You get a bottom-of-the-barrel (not exaggerating) GPU. You don't get 2 GB of RAM. They're already announcing features (Hey Cortana) that the 830 can't (not won't) get because of the poor SoC inside. You don't get a high-end camera, you get one with a slight resolution bump (and possibly a better OIS solution, undetermined) than the 2-year-old 920. You don't get a high-quality display, the 830's is actually a downgrade from the 920.

Oh, and it's 100% Microsoft's fault that there isn't a Nexus-like device. Of course, all a Nexus device for Microsoft would be is a Lumia that isn't crap, from a guts standpoint. All they'd need to do is refresh the 930 to a 935, giving it the IPS LCD of the 920/1520, and upping the SoC to the SD 805. That's all they'd have to do, but it's just too much to ask, apparently. How can you say it's not Microsoft's fault that Microsoft released a low-end device with a upper-mid-range price tag, while simultaneously marketing a low-end SoC as a flagship?

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
But it doesn't. End of story.

More like end of life, for the 830. I guess the 830 works as a device for a mom, someone who usually doesn't understand technology well and can be convinced to spend too much on inferior stuff. I have been telling my sister to go with the Icon because I know she'll actually care about the device quality long-term, and I don't want her stuck with a lemon.

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
More like end of life, for the 830.

Sorry, I forgot that all of you are much smarter than entire Microsoft Mobile. My apologies.

I guess the 830 works as a device for a mom, someone who usually doesn't understand technology well and can be convinced to spend too much on inferior stuff. I have been telling my sister to go with the Icon because I know she'll actually care about the device quality long-term, and I don't want her stuck with a lemon.

Check my next post after the one you quoted.

HelloLudger

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
Well, we will never find the common denominator.

Someone says he is happy with its price and specs, other say that for this price (399?) you can buy a real flagship or pay half the price for these specs and then someone else says that he is happy with the price and specs and that he prefers the 830 over a Galaxy S4 with Lagdroid or a Lumia 930 (because SD card and glance).

Fine. I'm looking forward to early and heavy discounts (if Microsoft has some sense left). But who knows, maybe Microsoft is not interested in mass market success. Maybe they prefer sellin only a few of the devices and actually make some money with them.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
We won't find out how well the 830 will do until it comes out, and we see just how much each carrier is charging for it. I am hoping AT&T does like it did with the 635 which is locked to them; but at a great price. I use Consumer Cellular so I can use a AT&T phone on their service (which uses AT&T's network) at a big reduction in price. I own a 820 and a Moto G lte so I have a lot of first hand experience with them. I am interested in the 830 (if the price is right) but I don't feel it is that great a deal as a upgrade to the 820. But for the right price, who knows. Playing a waiting game. I will say this however; if they had put a 800 or a 615 in it I would not have hesitated getting it. Now; its just a maybe, maybe not. If I replace my 820 I want something that is a pretty good upgrade to it; not a minor upgrade. WAITING.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05