Why the Lumia 830 is not the same as the 630/Moto G

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
wow guys i mean seriously the way some are talking here,itd make someone believe the 830 is underpowered and laggy or something
this is windows phone not android,we dont need an extreme cpu
who cares if theres no hey cortana on the 830,for all you know some workaround might come along or you can buy another lumia

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Here many of them are talking about 830s processor, that it should have sd600 or higher, but there's no point. It would still not have hey Cortana feature. WPs work perfectly on single /dual core processors, at least 830 has quad core. Be happy with that. If 830 had Sd800, would anyone buy 930? Why would MS risk the sales of 930 for 830? Processors matter much in Android as they are laggy ones, not WP or ios

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Here many of them are talking about 830s processor, that it should have sd600 or higher, but there's no point. It would still not have hey Cortana feature. WPs work perfectly on single /dual core processors, at least 830 has quad core. Be happy with that. If 830 had Sd800, would anyone buy 930? Why would MS risk the sales of 930 for 830? Processors matter much in Android as they are laggy ones, not WP or ios
you get it slightly wrong, 830 doesnt need to sd800, it can hv sd400 but needs to be priced accordingly, 60-70% of its price currently. we still dont know its price in India but shouldnt be more than 20-22

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Oh please, not the same spec crap again...

Actually many users are having very hard time in digesting that how can $179 phone can offer same almost offering as $350.
How can few value added things like better Camera, NFC, Wireless charging, better build quality can double the cost because the core offering is same.

It will be better to leave things users to decide which phone they want.o or see worth
but some users keep bring topic like this which obviously gonna bring same thing over & over again because topic is asking them to do that.
How can you not bring specs if you are comparing two phones & it's prices
Because specs decide & justify the cost.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Actually many users are having very hard time in digesting that how can $179 phone can offer same almost offering as $350.
How can few value added things like better Camera, NFC, Wireless charging, better build quality can double the cost because the core offering is same.

It will be better to leave things users to decide which phone they want.o or see worth
but some users keep bring topic like this which obviously gonna bring same thing over & over again because topic is asking them to do that.
How can you not bring specs if you are comparing two phones & it's prices
Because specs decide & justify the cost.

but does it run wp8.1?!! :D :p

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
you get it slightly wrong, 830 doesnt need to sd800, it can hv sd400 but needs to be priced accordingly, 60-70% of its price currently. we still dont know its price in India but shouldnt be more than 20-22

But X30 series are launched at a cheaper price than X20/X25 series phones. I know its not that cheap according to some people, but at least MS is trying. Also the X30 successors would be even cheaper with better specs. Do you remember at what price was 920 launched in India, it was around ₹35k. 830 has better specs, its thinner, bigger. Its price would be around ₹24k, not 20-22k. Still lets hope for the best.

HelloLudger

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
wow guys i mean seriously the way some are talking here,itd make someone believe the 830 is underpowered and laggy or something
who cares if theres no hey cortana on the 830,for all you know some workaround might come along or you can buy another lumia

Oh stop this WP doesn't need a good CPU bull****. If you want to do more than email, light web browsing and calendar stuff, of course you need a strong cpu/gpu. 4k video isn't magically working because WP is so lightweight. And for the new camera tricks, 4k is a must.

Again: SD 400 is fine, for 269?. Not 399?. (And even this price point is harder to justify if you consider that in Germany BASE sells the 930 for 299?!)

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site

Actually hardware similar to that of the 830 runs very smoothly on Android, so your point isn't relevant here in the least.

Workarounds won't come for Hey Cortana.

Wow then how does a Moto G run so well with hardware similar to 830 and despite being cheaper?

Read my previous posts, if they had opted for a Snapdragon 600 CPU there would have been other benefits apart from just hey cortana.

Consider this, games have ****ty graphics on WP most times, going for a SOC that has an Adreno 320 would've improved gaming on the 830 and made the graphics better.

but does it run wp8.1?!! :D :p

Newsflash, no one cares.

If Windows Phone 8.1 was a required OS for a device then Windows Phone today wouldn't have such a low marketshare.

People prefer Android over WP, most do at least.

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Actually hardware similar to that of the 830 runs very smoothly on Android, so your point isn't relevant here in the least.

Wow then how does a Moto G run so well with hardware similar to 830 and despite being cheaper?

Read my previous posts, if they had opted for a Snapdragon 600 CPU there would have been other benefits apart from just hey cortana.

Consider this, games have ****ty graphics on WP most times, going for a SOC that has an Adreno 320 would've improved gaming on the 830 and made the graphics better.

Newsflash, no one cares.

If Windows Phone 8.1 was a required OS for a device then Windows Phone today wouldn't have such a low marketshare.

You keep talking, my cousin has a Moto g, it lags. Many games run ****ty in Android, many androids even hang while running a game! I don't care what you think of WP. How old is Android & how old is WP? You just expect WPs share to increase from the snap of your fingers? WP came when Android had 75% market share. Its never easy to come up with your own os, when the other one is already ruling the world. Still WP is doing quite better.

Last edited:

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
You keep talking, my cousin has a Moto g, it lags. Many games run ****ty in Android, many androids even hang while running a game! I don't care what you think of WP. How old is Android & how old is WP? You just expect WPs share to increase from the snap of your fingers? WP came when Android has 75% market share. Its never easy to come up with your own os, when the other one is already ruling the world. Still WP is doing quite better.

Dude your missing the point again and again, low end Windows Phones also lag and crash!

What games run ****ty on Android?

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Dude your missing the point again and again, low end Windows Phones also lag and crash!

What games run ****ty on Android?
Low end WP s don't crash. I've had my 620 for over a year and a half, and have never experienced a crash. Moot point. 99% of the readers of this site disagree with you.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Low end WP s don't crash. I've had my 620 for over a year and a half, and have never experienced a crash. Moot point. 99% of the readers of this site disagree with you.

Depends on the application. I love browsing image sharing sites like 9GAG and Imgur.

The 9GAG app for the most part is a nice application, but occasionally playing a .gif would totally make my phone hang and/or crash.

Imgur has no official app, but it's third party client called Imgura is terrible. Opening a large image would always crash the app, the feed wouldn't show the latest photos.

Atmosphere Weather was an app that I saw featured on WPCentral, it would always crash on start up.

Even more annoying is the fact that when an Android app crashes, it simply crashes and you can proceed to opening it again or do something else.

But all hell breaks loose when a WP app crashes, the UI itself also reloads, making you wait more than a few seconds for your phone to actually reload the entire thing.

Tapatalk would reload the page each time I would post something, and if the message I was typing would be too long the phone would come extremely slow.

Not to mention that if you scroll too fast in myTube, or in the WPcentral comment section, or in the Whatsapp app the content in the screen completely dissapears.

And then I would often see the dreaded "resuming" message more often than not. I would even see it for apps I just left, such as Tapatalk.

And OMG it was such a pain switching tabs in Internet Explorer.

No phone is totally smooth in the low end side, Android and Windows Phone are pretty much equal.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

Newsflash, no one cares.

then dont come to wpcentral if you love android so much
go to android central and post such things
newsflash i dont want to be part of the common crowd rather be different,thats how most of us bought a windows phone

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
then dont come to wpcentral if you love android so much
go to android central and post such things
newsflash i dont want to be part of the common crowd rather be different,thats how most of us bought a windows phone

I never said that I didn't like Windows Phone, I merely wanted to say that not having Windows Phone 8.1 isn't a con of any device.

Having it, could be a con though(just saying).

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
The 830 isn't a flagship experience. You don't get a high-end CPU. You get a bottom-of-the-barrel (not exaggerating) GPU. You don't get 2 GB of RAM. They're already announcing features (Hey Cortana) that the 830 can't (not won't) get because of the poor SoC inside. You don't get a high-end camera, you get one with a slight resolution bump (and possibly a better OIS solution, undetermined) than the 2-year-old 920. You don't get a high-quality display, the 830's is actually a downgrade from the 920.

Oh, and it's 100% Microsoft's fault that there isn't a Nexus-like device. Of course, all a Nexus device for Microsoft would be is a Lumia that isn't crap, from a guts standpoint. All they'd need to do is refresh the 930 to a 935, giving it the IPS LCD of the 920/1520, and upping the SoC to the SD 805. That's all they'd have to do, but it's just too much to ask, apparently. How can you say it's not Microsoft's fault that Microsoft released a low-end device with a upper-mid-range price tag, while simultaneously marketing a low-end SoC as a flagship?
You are in an android mindset where you think it's all about specs. Noooo! Windows phone and iOS is optimised to run well on hardware that might not be the best. Why would you need 2gb ram when the display is only 720p? That would boost the price up. The 400 is doing wonders on android for moto G users. The adreno 305 is better than the 225. The camera is high end. It's a pureview like the 920, higher resolution. Better OIS. Slimmer sensor. There isn't much of a difference from 720p and 768p (1280x720 vs 1280x768) at least now content can be displayed without bars because of the 16:9 ratio. It isn't a downgrade from the 920, it's actually an upgrade for 920 users that don't want to spend too much cash.

Microsoft made windows phone free. Over 20 new OEMs are making windows phones. However since its free, microsoft's own devices must make a profit or microsoft lose money. Software is microsoft's bread and butter. Google gets their money from advertising. That's why they can't make a nexus like device.

However I agree, they definitely should make a 935 however you shouldn't judge a book by its cover(unless the author is Google Android lool) the 520/530 have low end SoC but they perform well. Just remember if the snapdragon 400 combined with 1gb ram does well on android, imagine what it can do with WP?

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Well, we will never find the common denominator.

Someone says he is happy with its price and specs, other say that for this price (399€) you can buy a real flagship or pay half the price for these specs and then someone else says that he is happy with the price and specs and that he prefers the 830 over a Galaxy S4 with Lagdroid or a Lumia 930 (because SD card and glance).

Fine. I'm looking forward to early and heavy discounts (if Microsoft has some sense left). But who knows, maybe Microsoft is not interested in mass market success. Maybe they prefer sellin only a few of the devices and actually make some money with them.
Compare this phone to an iPhone 5s or even a 6 in terms of specs and you'll understand what Microsoft mean by affordable flagship.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Oh stop this WP doesn't need a good CPU bull****. If you want to do more than email, light web browsing and calendar stuff, of course you need a strong cpu/gpu. 4k video isn't magically working because WP is so lightweight. And for the new camera tricks, 4k is a must.

Again: SD 400 is fine, for 269€. Not 399€. (And even this price point is harder to justify if you consider that in Germany BASE sells the 930 for 299€!)

4k video is coming with lumia denim. Definitely only for sd800 devices only.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site

My 620 has crashed plenty of times, but not as much or as bad as my galaxy ace 3. Even my iPad has been crashing more than both of them since 8.03. Nobodys perfect. But WP crashes the least. At least in my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb