Anyone consider 830 an upgrade to Icon?

GreenScrew

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I've started to consider it. Anyone else? Good WiFi and a bit thinner/lighter, for me might outweigh the performance specs disadvantage such that it would be an upgrade. Even has card slot, not that I need/want that myself it seems important to many of you. What am I missing here about the 830 vs Icon?

GinjaBreadNinja

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
Totally, totally what you lose, 10mp but still left with a great 10mp camera, a gig of ram, and a gig off processor speed. But with the low requirements of the OS it's still a fantastic phone with a full retail price that's probably half of any "flagship" phones put there, for whatever that word is worth.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The 830 is more of an upgrade or sidegrade to the 92x (VZW has the 928) - hardly going to blow the 930/Icon away.

However, the 830 does have some tricks up its sleeve like a removable battery and stuff that make it more appealing, I think its a dynamic like the 820/920 thing. Albeit without the on-par internals.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Icon has better camera, better screen resolution and twice the RAM. You may like the 830's design but that doesn't make it an upgrade from Icon!

arbyjr

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Isn't the design pretty much the same as the 930/Icon, just a little thinner?
When/if the Icon finally get cyan & denim the only advantage for the 830 will be it's thinner?
A baby Icon/930 not even close to begin equal

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Isn't the design pretty much the same as the 930/Icon, just a little thinner?
When/if the Icon finally get cyan & denim the only advantage for the 830 will be it's thinner?
A baby Icon/930 not even close to begin equal
Yes, you're right. The only two things I see the 830 having over the Icon, are the removable battery and the expandable storage (SD card). Oh, and the option to have only two rows of Live Tiles since is not full HD. I for one would prefer that.

arbyjr

May 22, 2014
Visit site
I could really like the microSD card slot, but that's about it, well sure being about to swap out the battery could also be nice, but still. Not even close to being an upgrade, not really even a sidegrade (quoted from this topic).

PhalanxPunx

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
Not even an option. I bought my Icon outright with only 10 days left until my Verizon upgrade as I wanted to see if I like the Windows interface on a phone. *side note* Yes I make good money and have no family so don't judge me, but I did so that if I liked it I could get the next flagship phone, and if I didn't I could get something else (but never an iPhone). Regardless I do not see the 830 as anywhere near the Icon.

PhalanxPunx

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
I must say that back in 2004 I left Windows Mobile for a BlackBerry 8310 world phone as it was much better, and I said on the CrackBerry forums that Microsoft would have to do a lot to get me back (left BB for Android after the BB Storm) and they have done just that and now I am back to being a Windows Phone user!

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
The 830's CPU is clocked 40% lower than the Icon, and the GPU probably lags behind by even more. You get half the RAM, half the camera resolution, and half the display resolution. What about any of that says "upgrade?"

Honestly, it's not even an upgrade to the 920/928. The 830 would have 1.3 MP more on the camera, a lower-resolution display (on a larger screen), and a significantly slower GPU. The 830 is barely an upgrade to the 820/822, and that's only if you're big on the camera and display (which are big upgrades), because the SoC is an overall downgrade (despite the fact that the device is 2 years newer).

GreenScrew

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm not making an argument for the 830 but to qualify as an upgrade doesn't need to be faster just overall better in ones perception or function. So, better battery life, thinner, removable storage and battery, larger screen (yes, despite lower resolution) could be arguments compared to ram, processor, and camera mega pixels that its better. Particularly if memory and processor are overkill and unnoticeable on the WP O/S. For sure the firmware (cyan/denim) will be upgraded, right? Assume WiFi will be of expected range and stability. That was my point, in contrast to pure specs, might it actually be an upgrade. In my opinion, the form factor being thick and chunky, the Icon is not good. In many ways, after 5 months with the Icon, I still consider it at a disadvantage against my former HTC 8x. No doubt many of you will laugh at that comment, but my user experience was way better with the 8x. That phone with 5" of screen would be an upgrade to the Icon based on my use of both devices nothing to do with irrelevant specifications. I don't believe "upgrade" to be a yes/no question that can be so easily discounted based solely on specs. But I don't know anything about be 830 nor have I held one thus the reason for my interest in the debate.

LumiaIcon

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
To "upgrade" I would argue there needs to be an improvement in the "core" hardware in a phone... Screen, Screen Resolution, Processor, Camera, RAM. It is a good upgrade from several mid tier phones in the Lumia line or perhaps from some of the Pre-1520 "flagships" that were underpowered and sporting 720p screens. But.. No.

GreenScrew

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I know this is an old thread of mine that I'm resurrecting but I got my hands on a Lumia 830 with Windows 10 the other day. After using it for a good amount time yesterday, I would trade my Icon in on this phone in a heartbeat. Sadly, the radios don't support Verizon so I have no choice (Vzw required for coverage needs). Upgrade or not from a specifications standpoint, I consider it "better" and for sure the form factor is an upgrade. Disappointed there's no way it would work on Verizon. Everything I've read about WP10 has been about being buggy and laggy, and with its significantly slower processor (compared to Icon) I've had nothing but a great/smooth experience with this 830.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
After using it for a good amount time yesterday, I would trade my Icon in on this phone in a heartbeat.

I can't imagine trading in my Icon for a phone that came out less than a year later, with an inferior display, inferior amount of built in storage, inferior camera, and an inferior processor.

The form factors are different, but really not by much. The 830 is intended to be mid-range model of the 930.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12